New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
Wow good review, looks like a good monitor except for the subsampling issue. Also why does that monitor get a low glow IPS panel where all of the others are stuck with glow.

Soldato
Wow good review, looks like a good monitor except for the subsampling issue. Also why does that monitor get a low glow IPS panel where all of the others are stuck with glow.

I imagine they will cherry pick the best panels, and they also now have experience of people returning countless monitors in the past for this issue, so they don't want a repeat of that on a £2K product.

Soldato
Great job; a lot of good work there.

You've got one instance of '<98Hz' when you meant '>98Hz'. And in your section 'Does this even matter? Can you reach >98Hz?' you need to remember that older games can easily exceed 98 fps and can even exceed 144 fps. I managed over 180 fps on the original Far Cry.

Associate
I’ve had one of these monitors just over a week. Turned it on today, and I’m having issues with the variable backlight. When I set it to fast, I’m getting washed out colours and almost like the backlight isn't reacting properly to what's happening on screen(grey circles on white backgrounds,flickering in bright areas). If I set the backlight to gradual then it works fine, but any setting above that and it goes dodgy again. If I turn the backlight off, then the monitor works as normal. Tried it on a PS4 Pro and with HDR content same thing.

Associate
Well left the monitor off for a few hours,.tried it again and it's fine. I don't know what happened there. Maybe it got too hot, I don't know. I will have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help.

Associate
Naw. 144 Hz is fine for SDR and HDR games. 10 Bit 4:2:2 is just fine for games. That slight reduced chroma is unnoticeable in games. Bump down to 120 Hz is only needed for desktop due to text revealing the drop in chroma.

Soldato
I've seen enough articles that I'm going to wait for the HDMI 2.1 refresh of these monitors. Inbuilt VRR without the Gsync tax and 50% more bandwidth (48G vs 32G) to go full belt without compromise. And hopefully the new Geforce RTX cards will offer HDMI 2.1

Associate
I've seen enough articles that I'm going to wait for the HDMI 2.1 refresh of these monitors. Inbuilt VRR without the Gsync tax and 50% more bandwidth (48G vs 32G) to go full belt without compromise. And hopefully the new Geforce RTX cards will offer HDMI 2.1

NVIDIA cards aren't going to have VRR HDMI 2.1 when they just spent millions on DP 1.4 HDR G-Sync technology. So you are stuck with AMD cards, which are like half the speed of top NVIDIA cards. You can't even really run 4K 60 FPS on AMD cards let alone 120+ FPS. So the point is moot.

Soldato
NVIDIA cards aren't going to have VRR HDMI 2.1 when they just spent millions on DP 1.4 HDR G-Sync technology. So you are stuck with AMD cards, which are like half the speed of top NVIDIA cards. You can't even really run 4K 60 FPS on AMD cards let alone 120+ FPS. So the point is moot.

Define top cards. The Titan V, Titan Xp or the GTX1080Ti? Because at best the Titan V is 35% faster than the Vega 64 (is Titan V only 8% faster than the GTX1080Ti FE) which is faster than the GTX1080
And that includes all the AMD cards being faster on their respectable positions. (V56, RX580, RX570 etc).
And that on SDR. On HDR the situation is very grim for Nvidia cards who suffer big performance drops, to even 25 & 30% compared to 0% of the Vega cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
NVIDIA cards aren't going to have VRR HDMI 2.1 when they just spent millions on DP 1.4 HDR G-Sync technology.

We'll see. DP 1.4 just doesn't have sufficient bandwidth, and there's not even a hint of the next version of Displayport. Maybe someone will use Intel's Photonics technology? Anyway, I also note the change in Nvida's branding from GTX to RTX: if they're walking away from the G-branding, maybe they're also walking away from GSync? We'll see.

You can't even really run 4K 60 FPS on AMD cards let alone 120+ FPS

That depends on the game. I still enjoy playing the original Far Cry, for instance. I can run that at 4k at 180 fps.

Back
Top Bottom