New Dell 30" 4k Oled Announced CES 2016

Associate
I remember reading it had dp 1.3 via usb c alt mode as well as a hdmi 2.0 input. Hope its not delayed too much.

It uses two DP 1.2 streams (8 lanes) over USB-C. No DP 1.3.

Ahem... 1.4 arrived last month... :D

That's how long we've been waiting for 1.3 screens. :|

Paper launches and standards are meaningless. DP 1.3 is going on two years and not a single transmission controller has been made and put into a product.

Associate
OP
Why has vesa gone through two display port standard revisions and we have yet to see a manufacturer release one with the revised spec. Are graphic card inputs and outputs to blame here?

Soldato
I'm not sure what extra functionality 1.3+ bring other than b/w.

It would be very expensive to release a revision of a GPU just to support 1.3+ as well.

As far as blame, seems like that falls on the manuf's who can't get these 4K120 / 8K60 panels out. Monitors are waiting on GPUs, yes, but there's other products too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why has vesa gone through two display port standard revisions and we have yet to see a manufacturer release one with the revised spec. Are graphic card inputs and outputs to blame here?

Is more complicated. ;)

We going to see DP1.3 cards, not supporting Adaptive Sync with driver restrictions (from Nvidia), while the hardware going to be there on the card/socket.

Last edited:
Associate

I'd suspect there was either manufacture/technical/design issues with DP 1.3 transmission controller chips, or no company decided to make one due to profit limitations. You can come up with standards until you are blue in the face. But in the end, if no one makes the hardware, it's meaningless.

Look what happened with the HDMI 2.0 debacle. Manufacturers calling devices "HDMI 2.0" when for the first entire year none of those chips ran at HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps speeds. It was a farce.

On another note: I found a "Desktop" computer that can run this new display at 4K @ 120Hz for those that don't want to use a laptop:

http://event.msicomputer.com/vortex/

Basically, MSI took full desktop chip GTX 980's (but in laptop form factor cards) and made a mini-desktop PC. It has a much better cooling system than a Laptop, so the 980's won't have the heat and power brick wattage limitations of a Laptop, while keeping the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. Actually pretty clever of MSI.

Although, pushing 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz I still feel will be a bit too much for two 980's in SLI in any modern game. And if your game doesn't play nice with SLI, well; you are left with a single 980 trying to push 4K @ 120 FPS/Hz. :o

Definitely the best option though for this new OLED monitor! It will be pretty pricey though (~$4K), NVIDIA charges an arm and a leg for those laptop form factor 980's.

Associate
If the Dell OLED hit all the right notes in terms of gaming and no issues revolving around burn in I'd genuinely consider taking a punt at it if it was on that £3500 mark - anything beyond that and not so sure.

I know it's a lot of money but the amount of return you'd get on it per year of use should be worth it; and whilst it might seem like justification, I think some forget the Dell no quibble on the door swap/return warranty normally included in their premium prices.

Caporegime
Considering LG's next 55-65" OLED TVs are going to be starting from around that price (no doubt after the first few months they will drop drastically too) and supposedly have solved most, if not all the main issues of OLED, I would certainly not pay that much for a 30" monitor :p

Caporegime
You could say that :p I badly want a new monitor but none of them are worth the outlay imo.

I wouldn't spend more than £3k on the dell when I could get LG's new 4k OLED 55" TV for £3k though, which will most likely drop by quite a bit after a few months just like what happened with their first gen OLED TV :p

More just curious to see how it performs and to hopefully kick start the hype/interest/beginning for OLED monitors, current LCD tech. has been milked for long enough now imo.

Last edited:
Associate
Now that the new NVIDIA cards are confirmed to have DP 1.3/1.4, I hope this monitors delay is due to them wanting to upgrade the DP 1.2 port. If not and it ships with only DP 1.2, epic fail.

Back
Top Bottom