New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
img_1421.jpg

Soldato
Thats the S2721DGF on the left and the UD2115H on the right, the gaming monitor is definitely oversaturated; and I noticed some level of banding on it that wasn't present at all on the Ultrasharp, fairly minor tho

Associate
Hello all. So, I finally settled on this monitor having seen this thread a couple of weeks ago. I briefly had the Iiyama GB3466WQSU but sadly that did not work out (see Iiyama GB3466WQSU threead). I was initially looking for an UW and had the Dell S3220DGF as a fallback non-UW option. My budget for a new monitor was up to £600 and I was surprised how difficult the search would be! However, after experiencing the dreaded flicker with the Iiyama and hearing that the Dell S3220DGF can also have issues (I understand VA panels are more sensitive), I made the decision to go for the S2721DGF – inspired by the various posts here. I also learnt about the various discounts and to my surprise I was eligible for a discount via work, so I could get the screen for £330 – which is amazing value.

Having had the screen for a week, I am very pleased with it. I intend to upgrade to UW in the future, but not until they are offer true HDR and are much better priced (might be a long wait :rolleyes:). For the moment my dual screen set up (using my trusty 8 year old+ Dell U2412M as the second display) gives me what I need for productivity (due to home working) and I now have a primary gaming/work monitor :D.

Things that have impressed me (comparing to the Iiyama and my old Dell):
- Sharpness of the display
- Colour
- Responsivity (I now understand the difference between 60Hz display and 165Hz! Wow)
- Build quality (Standard Dell. I like the fact it comes with 3 year warranty as well. No dead pixels etc - So far so good!)
- Design (I don’t like gaming aesthetics and was worried about the LED blue lights on the back – so I was surprised to find I have kept them on. I think the design is actually professional and classic modern Dell)

Although I loved the curved Iiyama UW – which makes sense for that size of screen, I have been pleasantly surprised by the 27 inch 1440p display. I thought I would prefer a 32 inch display at 1440p, but now I have experienced the sharpness on this display, I don’t think I would want to change this.

So far all I have done to set this up (all very simple) is the following:
- Installed the Dell monitor driver (https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...g/0-Y0lvMUxvM0ZpK2dBLzEza3hFeEcydz090/drivers)
- Set windows 10 to 165Hz
- Set windows 10 to use the Dell ICC profile that came with the driver
- Using the display with an AMD RX5700 and everything has been detected without any issues. Freesync is on etc.
- Set brightness to 25% - everything else as per the factory.

I look forward to seeing some reviews on this monitor. I was brave buying the Iiyama before any reviews had come out, so hopefully the professionals will say some good things about this display in due course! Will wait and see. Personally, I am very happy and for the price (with or without discount) it seems to be a steal for the features. Hopefully this feedback is of use to others.

Thanks, D.

Thanks for that! I'm in the same boat that I'm looking for a gaming/work monitor. I sent back a GB3461WQSU-B1 last week as I felt the mat coating was too noticeable and didn't feel the flat UW was the best choice for productivity. I'm very tempted by this dell

Associate
So mine arrived on Monday. I'm having an issue whereby when I play games the screen goes black for a second or two maybe every minute. This only seems to happen with freesync pro turned on in the monitor settings. using a GTX 1080, any ideas how I could fix it? :/

Associate
Don't know if it still works but I've only seen.......

DELLMONNJ08

10% off

being posted at Hot Deals. Better than nothing of it does.

Cheers matey! Just came across the HUKD post on it, never even thought to check there since coverage on it seems pretty scarce...

Did you end up getting one?

Associate
Yup, my posts about my purchase are in this thread.

Just read your initial thoughts, mouse cursor slipping ever so closer to the "checkout" button :p

Did you manage to sort the 100% load on your GPU scenario? Most recommendations I've seen are to limit your FPS to 2-3 lower than the refresh rate - not sure if you've maybe went ahead and done it anyways but just thought I'd mention

Associate
Just got mine!
Easy quick install, one minute from the box to the desk! First time for me with a DELL monitor and yes you really can feel the very good build quality!
I do like the design, the blue LED light is really nice, not too flashy, that gives a really nice touch.
So far I've installed the monitor driver from Dell website, and set the brightness to 20%. The display is really sharp!
Tried an Excel file, and wow really much more workspace! I'm not sure if I will need to use the zoom in Excel, maybe 105% or 110%, I'll see later.

Well, very good first impression, I should have ordered it sooner :)

Soldato
Just read your initial thoughts, mouse cursor slipping ever so closer to the "checkout" button :p

Did you manage to sort the 100% load on your GPU scenario? Most recommendations I've seen are to limit your FPS to 2-3 lower than the refresh rate - not sure if you've maybe went ahead and done it anyways but just thought I'd mention

It's a trade off between eye candy and FPS, for some games. With a 1080Ti and 9900k overclocked there are plenty of titles where 165 FPS isn't going to happen. So I use Riva Tuner and set a maximum FPS to be lower but still allow the G-Sync to function. I suppose it is all about noise/ performance and personal choice when it comes to doing these things.

It would have been vice for the G-Sync to operate lower than the 48hz that is supported by this monitor, at least those are my thoughts.

Permabanned
So mine arrived on Monday. I'm having an issue whereby when I play games the screen goes black for a second or two maybe every minute. This only seems to happen with freesync pro turned on in the monitor settings. using a GTX 1080, any ideas how I could fix it? :/

Hmm, something wrong there. I also have a 1080 and freesync pro premium is turn on, I dont have that issue.

Is it a particular game or all games?
Do you have Gsync enabled in nvidia control panel? I have it enabled for windowed and full screen mode.
Is the Dell set as your primary screen, if you have 2 screens?

Soldato
@finalcloud to add, are you using the latest revision of NVidia drivers, only the later builds supported this monitor apparently. Also are you using the supplied cables with it..? When I used my older DP cable I would get screen flashes. Drivers also installed for the monitor..?

Soldato
Remembering back the screen flashed started with my older DP cable when I selected to use HDR in Windows 10. Not using HDR and it was fine. I then needed to move my PC box so that the shorter included 1.4 DP cable would fit.

Associate
After a few hours, still very satisfied with this monitor!

My new settings are: 18% brightness, 75% contrast, 50 sharpness, and everything looks very nice, so sharp and clear! The color depth is at 10bpc, but I don't see the difference between 8 and 10 :)

No dead pixels, but some backlight bleeding on the bottom left and right, which I guess was expected with this kind of panel.

Soldato
I run these settings on mine:
Brightness: 35%
Contrast: 75%
Freesync Pro: ON ( although I have Nvidia gpu)
Response time: Super fast
Dark Stabiliser: 0
Smart HDR: Off
Sharpness: 50

I generally use Comfort View, but sometimes Standard.

I normally only use mine in the evenings in a dimly lit room, and although there is some back light bleed, its very slight and I barely notice if I'm square on to the screen about 0.5m away.

Great screen, and an excellent buy :D

Back
Top Bottom