New essential Android apps thread

It should just be as simple as swiping down straight from the notification, don't even need to tap it first. Unless Oreo changed things around...
exactly. but have more than 5 notifications and it's impossible to do.

i can't extend the weather, screenshot, bottom email account, one above that and the alarms, as they just swipe down until i get to the highest most notifications showing which then allows me to extend only the notifications on the screen at that point. nothing below until they come into view. so stupid.

anyone know of an app that will keep an eye on weather for me at a certain time in the evening and alert if x = y? such as alert only if the weather is expected to drop below freezing in the night, or it's expected to rain tomorrow etc?

Soldato
That wouldn't be hard to write perhaps. So you would pick a time in the evening and it would let you know tomorrows weather basically? Optionally, only to be notified if the forecast was below a certain temp or set to rain or snow?

I would perhaps use that actually, to let me know if I should plan to bike or drive to work in the morning.

yeah exactly that. as kirk would say "make it happen". we can split the profits.

it's because i have a machine in the van that has water in it and a pump. if it freezes could break the pipes and when turning on the next day be a nice surprise. I want to get organised this year and bring it in at night if needed, however it's quite an effort so wont do this each night. it's 2017 there should be an app that auto warns you of the weather ahead if it meets certain criteria.

Soldato
Hi.

I want a call blocker that doesn't notify you that number such and such has been blocked. It just blocks discretely in the background. I also need a call blocker that blocks sms.

Thanks.

Soldato
only offer cleaning for domestic once a week style work.

It didn't look that way. The website offered discount if you set up a regular clean, but there were more options than once a week. It would be odd to offer that if you could only book a regular cleaner. The app certainly looked like I could book someone for one visit, like I did with the handyman.

i mean the style of work is that of a domestic weekly cleaner. 3 hours for a 3 bedroom house for instance. that's basic work quick once over. i have a team of cleaners at a site the same size since 9am and they will be there until the afternoon. i couldn't find anything for oven or carpet cleaning only either which is a shame. it's an app for one off tasks, but they cleaning is more for repeat work and not the one off cleaning people typically get done.

Soldato
It's actually exactly what I would want from cleaning though. We used to have a weekly cleaner, 2 or 3 hours a week, but now I would prefer I could just book someone for a day next week and have them just 'spring clean' really. Maybe in a couple of months I would want someone to come back and do it again.

I know what you mean, and I might not be a normal case. It worked out for the odd job too, I think that is more of a likely thing, you need someone to come and build some furniture or put some shelves up. For this, it's ideal. Otherwise you're asking on forums and such and go on one or two people's recommendations. Here, they have ratings and reviews and I guess, like an Uber driver, are wanting to keep their ratings and reviews high so you're quite likely to get great service.

Soldato
yeah exactly that. as kirk would say "make it happen".

So I've had a little dabble this afternoon -

GsIXZ2Zh.png.jpg

Really it was just to check I could parse JSON data supplied by a weather API. I couldn't... initially... but learnt how :)

My location is hard coded at the moment, so I need to make it use the phones location, then I'm thinking to simplify it to the next three 8 hour chunks (well, will have to be 9 hour chunks as the chunks are coming in 3 hour blocks) and then of course have it so you can set a notification in the evening for the morning weather.

My only concern at this point, is the accuracy of the weather. My weather app says it's fine now and quite nice in the morning. Changing weather API will likely mean re-writing a lot.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes :)

**EDIT** Okay, I can see it gives rainfall in mm and if it's anything above zero it says light rain, so all those 'light rain' are like 0.1mm... looks like I might need to process my own description.

Back
Top Bottom