New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
You can share a calendar with somebody, that way you can both add events to the calendar and you'll both see it. Last time I had to set it up, I'd could only be done I'm the web browser on the Google calendar page. Dont know if thats changed or not.

Associate
Can anyone suggest an app I use to remotely see my desktop screen.

There is a few constraints

1. Cannot be of the VNC family.
2. Must have the option so that the Android user cannot move the mouse.

Cheers

Gasaxe

Man of Honour
The recent Microsoft Authenticator app update brings cloud backup so if you change phones you can simply restore accounts using that within the app. A really great feature that isn't available on Google's 2FA app or any other. I often rolled eyes at the thought of having to change phones as I'd have to de-activate the old phone on each account's 2FA page, then add the new phone for each one which is just tedious.

Now though, problem solved.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest an app I use to remotely see my desktop screen.

There is a few constraints

1. Cannot be of the VNC family.
2. Must have the option so that the Android user cannot move the mouse.

Cheers

Gasaxe

Chrome Remote Desktop will do that - but the target desktop will have a popup notification that you are connected, and point 2 only works, if you don't touch the screen :D

Soldato
Is there an app that records what your doing on this phone? (Samsung A70) I'm having trouble with an app, and the developers have asked me to record it and send it to them so they can work on a solution

I'm sure Samsung has their own screen recorder but I think it's for games only. AZ Screen recorder is a popular one but I personally use ScreenCam from F-droid. It's simple but it does the job.

Soldato
The recent Microsoft Authenticator app update brings cloud backup so if you change phones you can simply restore accounts using that within the app. A really great feature that isn't available on Google's 2FA app or any other. I often rolled eyes at the thought of having to change phones as I'd have to de-activate the old phone on each account's 2FA page, then add the new phone for each one which is just tedious.

Now though, problem solved.

I will be getting a new phone soon and have begun to cancel my 2FA accounts on the Google Authenticator and add them to Authy so I can just carry on as per usual when I get the new phone. I didn't know Microsoft had one out and it looks like it's getting better reviews than Authy, so as you've used it what are your thoughts on it? Should I continue to migrate to Authy or use the Microsoft app?

Man of Honour
I will be getting a new phone soon and have begun to cancel my 2FA accounts on the Google Authenticator and add them to Authy so I can just carry on as per usual when I get the new phone. I didn't know Microsoft had one out and it looks like it's getting better reviews than Authy, so as you've used it what are your thoughts on it? Should I continue to migrate to Authy or use the Microsoft app?

I've used both Google and MS 2fa apps over the years and the one thing that annoyed me with both was the lack of backup and restore for accounts. This isn't an issue anymore with the MS one so I'v ebeen using that since the update and all has been well.

Personally I'd pick MS over AUthy. You know the MS one will always be around whereas Authy could one day close doors. A small risk but still a risk. Plus the MS one backs up to your MS account.

cheers mate

Samsung screen recorder is an optional addon with Good Lock. Works really well and is triggered by taking a screenshot. It is a baked in feature with Android 10 though and on Note 10 etc.

Soldato
Just installed and tested the backup/restore of Microsoft authenticator. Works perfectly!

Sounds good. I'll make the move myself I guess. I recently got a USB key too, in an attempt to secure things up somewhat. I guess the backup/restore makes it MS slightly less secure though? Make sure your MS password is unique I guess will help.

Man of Honour
Why would it be less secure? You've already got 2FA on your MS account to start with. Security is no different to any other account with 2FA on.

IMO USB keys outside of a secure corporate environment are overkill and just hinders time and convenience.

Back
Top Bottom