New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
OP
Spec is...

Case: Corsair 200R
CPU: Ryzen 5 1500x
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Hyper X
GPU: I believe it's a GTX 760, he is borrowing his friends for now until he can afford a better one, will have to double check that though.
PSU: Corsair VS550 550w.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AB350 Gaming 3.
SSD: Drevo 60gb
HDD: 1TB

Soldato
BIOS F6 is installed. Do I need to do anything for else in the BIOS? Before I connect power to the SSD and HDD and install windows?

AHCI (probably set by default) and with that memory you could set the XMP?

And boot order for install

Did he get the memory from same place as you - if so cost?

Associate
OP
AHCI (probably set by default) and with that memory you could set the XMP?

And boot order for install

Did he get the memory from same place as you - if so cost?
Time and date are wrong, do I need to change them now? Do I need to load optimised defaults? Think I remember you telling me to do that last time.

His memory is only 2133mhz and different to mine, I have Corsair vengeance 3200. Was 64 quid I believe.

Soldato
Yes, you can change time/date within BIOS.

• Load optimised defaults
  • set XMP
  • check AHCI
  • Boot order
  • save and exit
  • get back to BIOS
  • check temps

Soldato
OK, thought about it but feel like i would be remiss if i didn't mention it as it would be the best £4 you could ever spend for a performance boost.

Plus i didn't want to take any excitement away from your build - but i know you could return the memory for free...

With the above in mind:

His memory is only 2133mhz and different to mine, I have Corsair vengeance 3200. Was 64 quid I believe.
Check the price of the corsair 3000MHz £4 difference (same brand as yours but 200MHz less).

Fast memory really benefits the performance of Ryzen - personally i would return the 2133MHz memory and get the 3000MHz kit. It will make a significant difference - way more than the value of £4 (it would be an insane bang for buck purchase).

I didn't want to mention it - but knowing the company they'll send out the other sticks while you you decide to send the other stuff back. He wont even be without the system.

It will honestly be the best value upgrade he's ever likely to do bar swapping his rig for yours while you're not looking.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for noticing that Plec. He doesn't have the money in his account so being the great big cousin that I am, I've purchased them for him and he can transfer me the money once he's refunded the money from the hyper x set!

Soldato
Thanks very much for noticing that Plec. He doesn't have the money in his account so being the great big cousin that I am, I've purchased them for him and he can transfer me the money once he's refunded the money from the hyper x set!
No worries.

I almost didn't mention it, as I assumed money was tight - but for £4 it really is worth it.

Glad it was painless...

Associate
OP
Windows installed. Well I'm getting quicker mate, that wasn't to bad was it! Took me about 2.5 hours with some breaks. Will do windows updates and stuff tomorrow. Will then need to look at getting him an activation key when he can afford it.

Soldato
Windows installed. Well I'm getting quicker mate, that wasn't to bad was it! Took me about 2.5 hours with some breaks. Will do windows updates and stuff tomorrow. Will then need to look at getting him an activation key when he can afford it.
Nicely done.

Not so daunting once you've built one.

You'll have your family and friends queuing up for builds now...

...keep it a secret skill (i wish i had).

Soldato
It's weird though. I actually really enjoy building them! Well, when everything went as smooth as today that is...
Yes, smooth builds are great and you're experiencing why is useful to stick to a tried and tested brand/model and familiar core components when doing similar builds. Makes troubleshooting far easier if required.

It's the odd build that has the sanity cracking anomaly that can derail you.

I had one build I spent days trying to troubleshoot - it was giving up errors similar to PSU or memory issues. Stripped it down and tested every component to the nth degree.

Turned out to be a sata cable - one f'ing sata cable. And it had tested fine in another machine. Those are the builds that can take you to edge... Hopefully you'll never experience one.

Plus, the odd notorious motherboard - I have an old abit motherboard that is in 2 uneven halves when I finally gave up trying to get it stable, after months of trying (other forum members too - but that was on the original old forums)....

But, yes smooth builds are great - but you will remember the complete bitches more...

Back
Top Bottom