New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
OP
Ok...

Checked in Display Adapter Settings, it was set at 60hz.. I forgot to re do it when we re installed Windows. Set to 144 now.

Under monitors it just says "General PnP Monitor", is it meant to say that?

Soldato
Additional: Why are you thinking of upgrading as it's quite an outlay?

Trouble is i'm slightly bias - I'm a huge fan of IPS over TN panels - but then i don't use my monitor predominantly for gaming.

The monitor you've linked to is an IPS G-sync panel and also 1440p - so it's a superior monitor in every way. However, 1080p is perfectly adequate for a 24" monitor - it's only when you reach 27" that you start noticing pixels at 1080p.

However, although 1440p will enhance your gfx experience - your FPS will also take hit a but the G-sync should take care of that more efficiently and effectively than just a 144Hz monitor. You've picked another 'swings and round abouts' type upgrade again - it seems to be your special superpower.

Are you happy with the the look and performance of your present monitor - and what has prompted you look at other monitors? Admittedly you've picked a great value 1440p IPS G-Sync - but if your present monitor is doing all that you want...

Soldato
I've asked stulid to review your query - as i think his hands on experience with the monitor will probably be invaluable, as i'm unsure how much benefit you will gain.

I, personally, think it will be luxury purchase - and one you could wait for when you have more funds. But stulid may have a different slant - especially given your stutter irritations...

But there's no doubt it would be a fun upgrade...

Soldato
What is the question? should you buy a new screen or not?
Pretty much.

He has a perfectly working AOC 1080p 144Hz monitor which does the job - but he suffers from micro stutters which may or may not be screen related (you can never be sure -and there mostly early access related - so ambigious).

He likes the 1440p G-sync IPS - we both now it's a great monitor - but he's not exactly flush, so I'm trying to decide if the monitor warrants the expenditure/luxury over his present one - which if you read my above post (above post about you) does the job...

You have hands on experience of both 144Hz verses G-Sync (i think) - so your thoughts would probably be more valid at this juncture.

Cheers.

Soldato
If you game a lot then Gsync is the next logical step it adds a smoothness that is lush.
You're addition of the word 'lush' - is what will probably be the deciding factor for him.

Also dont underestimate a good mouse+pad and how about a mechanical keyboard.
I'm trying to reign in his spending not add another £200 :p

He's going to have million one questions about quality peripherals now :D

Thanks for that stulid.

...well the monitor input - i'm passing all the anticipated peripheral questioning over to you.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies lads. I've just landed in Menorca so a bit late with the reply! (Im sure Plec is happy with the break).

I think I need to have a bit more time with my current set up really before I make a decision so I definitely know what my monitor/set up is capable of. Really don't think my calibration is set up right on my current screen, haven't a clue what settings I should change.

Anyway... G-SYNC does sound very tempting as smooth is all I want out of a game. Aslong as it's smooth I'm not too bothered about how high the FPS are. It's a tough one.... Again.

Back
Top Bottom