New Look on the rocks

Man of Honour
John Lewis are a cut above the average in terms of service. A lot of it is down to the firm being employee owned. People have more of a stake.
I will happily pay (a little) more for an item at John Lewis because of the excellent customer service, especially when something goes wrong. They seem to have the right model for the high street.

Don
Debenhams is a very different business model to other high-street shops. Most of the areas are given over to concessions who pay to have their products there. Employees that work in the concessions are employees of the concession, not Debenhams.

Caporegime
OP
I will happily pay (a little) more for an item at John Lewis because of the excellent customer service, especially when something goes wrong. They seem to have the right model for the high street.

Same. When you end up having to deal with the monkeys at Currys it opens your eyes to how good JL actually are. Bought a tablet a few years ago from them, broke after 18 months, walked in to store and walked out with same tablet but newer model for no extra cost. Well worth the premium imo.

No answer then?

Nah it's cool. You seem to be quite bitter about something, so I'll leave you to your misery and get on with life.

Is reading a bit difficult for you sunshine?

£1.2b in debt! Billion!!!

How is that possible?!

The CEO left his wallet at home and lent a fiver from Wonga.com and forgot about it. Tsk tsk.

QUAD POST AHOY!

I know. I'm sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Is reading a bit difficult for you sunshine?

Well let's hear your reasons why they will be going under anytime soon then? It's no good just making a statement without backing it up with a single thought on why you think so and then just saying you can't be bothered to explain. This is your thread after all.

I am genuinely interested to hear why you think WH Smith might struggle?

Associate
One of the main issues I have with the high street in general is opening times 0900-1730, I'm in work and so are many others, added to restricted Sunday hours means a nightmare on weekends. I can't go to the butcher after work because there closed. High street shops don't haven't adjusted to modern habits and the internet has provided the competition to put them under.

Man of Honour
One of the main issues I have with the high street in general is opening times 0900-1730, I'm in work and so are many others, added to restricted Sunday hours means a nightmare on weekends. I can't go to the butcher after work because there closed. High street shops don't haven't adjusted to modern habits and the internet has provided the competition to put them under.

A lot of places have restrictions on trading unrelated to the shops themselves for some reason despite in some cases not being immediately close to residential properties (though a lot of our high street does have flats above the shops).

EDIT: That said its a bit weird - the last place I worked (which wasn't a shop) wouldn't have been allowed to open for (trading) business before 8am (irrelevant to us) or after 6pm and wasn't allowed deliveries outside of 7am to 9pm but the other side of the street had like kebab houses that were open from mid-day to like 3am or something.

Soldato
On the point of 9 to 5 habits. What did people do years ago? Most businesses get iffy about people running personal errands during work time, so was the high street filled with housewives doing the daily shop back then?

Caporegime
OP
Well let's hear your reasons why they will be going under anytime soon then? It's no good just making a statement without backing it up with a single thought on why you think so and then just saying you can't be bothered to explain. This is your thread after all.

I am genuinely interested to hear why you think WH Smith might struggle?

It was a completely random guess. You know, for fun. Maybe one day you'll understand the concept.

Man of Honour
On the point of 9 to 5 habits. What did people do years ago? Most businesses get iffy about people running personal errands during work time, so was the high street filled with housewives doing the daily shop back then?

Not really sure but that was the reality for most of my relatives of my parent's generation and before. I dunno how widespread if at all it was but my Grandad used to have one day a week he'd finish at 2pm which his workers would also have (on different days of the week).

Soldato
It’s sad to see the state of some towns lately. You go down most high streets and it’s coffee shop, pound shop, cafe, b&m, Home & bargain, charity shop rinse and repeat. Street by me has 2 big Costa’s on the same road within a 2 minute walking distance of each other :eek:
Within the next 5-10 years I bet big chains like Debenhams, Next and most M&S stores will be gone having heard from various people who have worked for them for years

Back
Top Bottom