** New MacBook Pro.. In here if you intend to buy **

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
Justin said:
I got base 2.4Ghz glossy 15", I think arty got the 2.2Ghz base?

Correct - couldn't really afford the extra few quid for the updgrades. I think the only one I was tempted by was the extra VRAM, but there you go: I have a fairly monster PC for gaming so that would have been really excessive :p

I'm very impressed by the build quality of this, and the keyboard which is nearly as nice as my Logitech diNovo set. The screen goes *very* bright but sadly isn't quite up to my NEC 20WGX2 monitor in terms of colour reproduction, or so I think.

Most of my files have transferred across already (Firewire networking is damned fast!) and so I'm going to try using this in clamshell mode in a minute. We'll see how it goes :)

arty

Soldato
Yeah it's a superb laptop, the first Mac I have owned and I have to say i'm never buying a Windows machine again. OS X is excellent, the build quality is great and all the little included features are so handy :)

Soldato
Mine hasn't yet, after doing about an hour of 90-95% on both cores. Only time it has got hot was when it was charging. I use it on a Griffin Elevator so that may be keeping cooler.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
triggerthat said:
Interested to know how this LED technology has an impact on the battery life... anyone?
Apple are stating improved battery times (30% IIRC) across the whole range :)

If you get a solid 4hrs (with wireless and bluetooth) then it should be a good indication that they've improved.. 5 would be nice!

Soldato
I've had just over 4.5 hours with it on full brightness and music for most of that time, wireless and bluetooth on and general web browsing. I have to say I'm very impressed with the battery life.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Don't forget to fully discharge the battery before you initially charge it :cool:

Good job they've improved.. might shut some of 'the mac haters' up!

Soldato
Justin said:
I've had just over 4.5 hours with it on full brightness and music for most of that time, wireless and bluetooth on and general web browsing. I have to say I'm very impressed with the battery life.

Wow thats pretty impressive.

Gona roll down to southampton to check out the apple store. Real shame the 7200 upgrade is so expensive though! This for me is a real bottleneck in an otherwise fast system.

Soldato
EVH said:
Don't forget to fully discharge the battery before you initially charge it :cool:

Good job they've improved.. might shut some of 'the mac haters' up!

Ahh, forgot to do that, does that affect the battery life a lot? Also I usually have it at home and is it ok to keep it plugged in all the time? I mean does it run of the battery and charger or just the charger when plugged in?

Edit: I think if you found the 7200rpm drive elsewhere and fitted it yourself it would be a lot cheaper, although it would eat up the battery.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Justin said:
Ahh, forgot to do that, does that affect the battery life a lot? Also I usually have it at home and is it ok to keep it plugged in all the time? I mean does it run of the battery and charger or just the charger when plugged in?

Edit: I think if you found the 7200rpm drive elsewhere and fitted it yourself it would be a lot cheaper, although it would eat up the battery.
Not really.. It does say in the manual to do it every few months to recalibrate the battery though.

When the battery is fully charged the MBP runs off the AC Power, so running it 24/7 should just mean your battery is not being affected. Why not charge it up, use it for 5 hours and then just whack the MagSafe connector back in? ;)

I've read a few reports that the 7200rpm drive does little/nothing to battery life, so I can't see that being an issue.. besides, they're murder to change.

EDIT: That link won't work (wallpaper one you gave me)

Soldato
Justin said:

Yeah im considering this, its just that getting to the HDD is not that easy, and being my first mac i'm a bit hesitant to void the warranty as soon as i get it!

Soldato
Yeah I read about calibrating every so often, which I will do.

What link?

Edit: oh, hang on.

Double edit: works here fine, go to this link instead then and click backgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom