** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
have ordered a DVI-D, a displayport and a power cable:D to arrive monday when the monitor does, so i hope it doesnt turn up without anything else lol

Associate
Morning all, it was a hard day's night with this baby :D

I am using the cable that came with it which is DL DVI-D, I am able to get the 120hz frame sequential 3D on my 6970 (a CFX setup) no problem. I have chosen this mode in the TriDef setup which you can run to determine where you want to use L/R or Frame Sequential (does specifically state that it ONLY works with AMD cards)

Still I wonder about the little outlines (multi coloured) that pop-up during video playback when you drag the window backwards and forwards as fast as possible? Any1 got a similar issue? Its very unnoticeable but if you loook for it ,it does happen.

Last edited:
Associate
Quick Bulleted Review from an Nvidia 275GTX User:

* Screen is huge, looks brilliant colours are far better than anything I've seen or used before.

* 2D>3D mode on the screen is brilliant. Tested using a Digital Blasphemy image called Highland Spring and C&C Generals and both have a reasonable sense of 3D-ness, not mind blowing in comparison to true 3D but certainly impressive.

*The limit of side by side 3D rendering in games varies in quality. Thus far tested mostly in borderlands and Eve Online (not officially supporting 3D atm I believe); Borderlands looks good no noticeable problems or affects by "side by side" once I had tweaked settings to match my eyes, Eve Online is simply jaw dropping, I have NEVER seen ANYTHING that IMPRESSIVE, IT LOOKS REAL, in all but two respects. One; the text which is already small and difficult to read losses half its horizontal resolution due to "side by side" thus making it hard to read (monitor/tridef's fault and this will apply to games with similar detailed/small fonted situations (font size 10 on "true 100%" zoom in MS Word) until tridef give us Nvidia users Frame Sequential mode, ALTHOUGH effect on playability is much more of a personal consideration) and the mouse graphic doesn't line up with where on the screen is being affected (Eve's fault).

* Initially had horrible multi but mainly blue drag ghosting mentioned by someone else in 3D mode, this was actually sorted by dropping response time to normal, this doesn't seem to have affected noticeable response times but then again I have never noticed this before on anything so I'm not sure exactly what to look for (perhaps my brain isn't fast enough =P ).

Hope this helps someone, I might do some more testing tomorrow but then I have to leave this beauty for a while to work =(.

Associate
What stands out from this thread is that the whole 3D monitor scene is a complete and utter mess and a nightmare to the consumer at this stage. You don't have to be an expert reviewer nor own one of these to understand that. It's a real shame (and quite annoying)

Last edited:
Associate
Morning all, it was a hard day's night with this baby :D

I am using the cable that came with it which is DL DVI-D, I am able to get the 120hz frame sequential 3D on my 6970 (a CFX setup) no problem. I have chosen this mode in the TriDef setup which you can run to determine where you want to use L/R or Frame Sequential (does specifically state that it ONLY works with AMD cards)

Still I wonder about the little outlines (multi coloured) that pop-up during video playback when you drag the window backwards and forwards as fast as possible? Any1 got a similar issue? Its very unnoticeable but if you loook for it ,it does happen.

I don't understand it.

When I try and do anything on my 6990 with DL DVI-D, when I start a game I get a message that 3D is disabled because my hardware does not support HD3D.

Can you try running the checker at
www.ddd.com/amd-hd3d

while it is connected via DVI-D and tell me if it says your hardware is approved?

I have tried re-installing the 11.6 drivers. I just can't get it to work with DVI. The cable is definitely okay because I can engage the 120Hz mode for 2D desktop without any problems.

Associate
I don't understand it.

When I try and do anything on my 6990 with DL DVI-D, when I start a game I get a message that 3D is disabled because my hardware does not support HD3D.

Can you try running the checker at
www.ddd.com/amd-hd3d

while it is connected via DVI-D and tell me if it says your hardware is approved?

I have tried re-installing the 11.6 drivers. I just can't get it to work with DVI. The cable is definitely okay because I can engage the 120Hz mode for 2D desktop without any problems.

hi have an ATI 6870, so can test for you tomorrow when mine arrives,

does the tridef software come with the screen, as that link you provided suggests you have to buy it:(

i know you have mentioned it previously, but do you think that it might be the fact you have the dual GPU and thats causing your problems ?

i hope not coz thats a lot of card to not be utilized by this monitor:eek:

Associate
hi have an ATI 6870, so can test for you tomorrow when mine arrives,

does the tridef software come with the screen, as that link you provided suggests you have to buy it:(

i know you have mentioned it previously, but do you think that it might be the fact you have the dual GPU and thats causing your problems ?

i hope not coz thats a lot of card to not be utilized by this monitor:eek:

It is all a bit strange. The checker fails whether I connect it via HDMI or DVI. However, in HDMI it still continues to work in 3D whereas via DVI it refuses with the error I mentioned.

Tridef software is bundled free with the monitor and is a special Samsung edition. It is however a cut-down version of the full Tridef software and is missing a lot of the customisation option for different graphics cards and displays. However, of course you don't need a lot of those adjustments and it is designed to work with the Samsung monitor.

Associate
It is all a bit strange. The checker fails whether I connect it via HDMI or DVI. However, in HDMI it still continues to work in 3D whereas via DVI it refuses with the error I mentioned.

Tridef software is bundled free with the monitor and is a special Samsung edition. It is however a cut-down version of the full Tridef software and is missing a lot of the customisation option for different graphics cards and displays. However, of course you don't need a lot of those adjustments and it is designed to work with the Samsung monitor.

thanks for he update, on the software,

well if its not done before, i hope i can help tomorrow by testing mine out,

i cannot beleive how little attention this monitor is getting, am i really gonna be like the 6th person in the world to own it, coz it sure feels like it,:D lol

Associate
thanks for he update, on the software,

well if its not done before, i hope i can help tomorrow by testing mine out,

i cannot beleive how little attention this monitor is getting, am i really gonna be like the 6th person in the world to own it, coz it sure feels like it,:D lol

Hehe..it does feel that way. I think the monitor has a confused identity. People are unsure what software gives them 3D, what hardware gives them 3D. It is all very well being vendor agnostic but then you better make sure you market clearly how consumers are supposed to get it to work..and they haven't done this (yet).

I tried the full blown Tridef software (free trial). It has a hardware wizard. In DVI mode it just refuses to detect anything or do anything 3D whatsoever. Starting any game puts up an error that no AMD card is detect (not just HD3D, but NO AMD card!). If I use HDMI, then it complains it cannot detect the display, but games work just fine (as long as I limit it to 1 GPU only)

I tried to register a support ticket with Tridef and log on their forums. But their email server is down. So for both things you should receive a verification email to prove your email address, and the emails never come. How crap is that?!

I have a display port cable (only a tenner) on its way so will compare behaviour there as well.

Associate
omg AMD HD3D= HDMI 1.4 and not Display Port or DVID so 3D on this monitors with AMD will work only with HDMI that is 60HZ and only 720p. :(

Associate
jonstatt, there is a specific issue with the 6990 and possibly other 2 gpu cards. There is a forum thread about it on the DDD site.

Yes I am aware of that rather stupid and unfortunate hitch (AMD's fault not Tridefs) but it is easily solved by only using one of the GPUs. And this is how I still manage to get this to work via HDMI. The problem is why some can get it to work via DVI-D DL and others cannot.

Last edited:
Associate
I really wouldn't be buying this monitor for 3D there are better options IMO (as long as you don't mind going smaller) that just work like the LG for example.

However if it’s great colours on a large fast and responsive glossy panel your after this could be the ticket but then you have to ask yourself is it really worth a whopping £590 if I'm not going to utilise the 3D facilities of the monitor...?

Personally I’m going to reconsider this display after a price drop or two because I’ve little to no interest in gaming in 3D but 120hz you get use to very quickly and then there's no going back so for now unless I win the lottery I’m going to stick with my 23” LG.

Associate
Ok guys I have had mine for a few days now and loving it with no problems at all..

This is what i have:

S27A950:

HDMI input For PS3
Displayport for my PC (AMD 1090T, Crosshair IVMotherboard, radeon 6950 2gb, 8gb DDR3 RAM)
DVI input connected to my mac book via its mini display port to DVI

PS3 opinions:
2D WOW amazing.. I currently have everything on the S27a950 settings left on default apart from colour switched to full.. everything looks amazing, when i play BOPS i can see people so clearly from miles away.. Fifa 11 is a pleasure to play also.. BLURAYS look utterly gorgeous..

2D - 3D conversion - Very impressed.. Tried it with fifa 11 and Castlevania.. and a little bit of watching Lord Of the Rings. You can tell that its not the real 3d experience you get from say the cinema but definetly everything has way more depth than usual.. definetly takes playing your ps3 games to another level.. probably wont make your gaming better but definetly more enjoyable or different..

PC opinion..

I currently dualboot my PC with Windows 7 and PINGUY o/s

Both operating systems recognise the S27A950 and sets up the screen accordingly to 120hz 1080p. Everything looks amazing you can read text fine everything is clear and vibrant.

Gaming on PC:

Currently played guild wars, Crysis, Settlers 6, Half Life, Counterstrike.. 2D again is a absolute pleasure to play.. response times are great and i find i can see so much detail now than i ever did, its like playing a new game sometimes..

With the S27A950 it comes with a driver cd, once installed you get a 3D application which asks you to select either frame sequential for 3D which it recommends for radeon cards 5000 upwards or side by side for any other cards.. ( i chose frame sequential as i have a radeon 6950 )

You then get a application where you select your PC games to play in 3D.. it automatically found Guild Wars and Crysis and Half Life for me but its easy to add other games you just browse to where the game launch icon is and it adds it for you.

Once you select it the game launches after a few second delay.. the annoying thing is that you have to manually select frame sequential on the S27a950 otherwise you'll just get a blurry screen and your 3d glasses wont switch on.

Tri Def 3D gaming: i almost wet myself when i played Guild Wars.. WOW you get such a perspective of distance, hills, foreground to background. It is so clever.. there is sometimes a lot of ghosting but this can be overcome by using the relevant hot keys to change the depth of background etc.. Be warned your FPS drops dramatically.. I was getting 60 - 80 fps on Guild Wars now its dropped almost by half.. Half Life looked brilliant but gave me a headache after a while as concentrating moving the crosshairs in a 3d environment takes some getting use to. Best game so far is Settlers 6.. again the FPS takes a huge battering but WOW.. even the Mrs who hates 3D and thinks i'm a fool for spending £600 on a monitor was impressed. When it snows it looks like its snowing in your room, The buildings pop out at you and zooming in and watching your settlers work is so much fun.. It looks like real little people are on your computer desk.. ! Definetly try and get a demo and see for yourselves.

Its not perfect the 3D.. there is ghosting and i admit i'm not technical, but its still extremely playable.

This post has taken way to long to write, so sorry for rambling on i just got carried away but i hope that this helps anyone considering buying it..

I would recommend it, i'm enjoying using it and have only just started using it.. i can definetly see it getting better in the future when more people have it and can recommend picture and colour settings.. TRIDEF i believe will get better as you can adjust the setting individually for each game, plus there are forums where you can use other peoples settings..

Definetly 2 thumbs up!! :)

On a side note, everything i needed was in the box.. i've read that people never got a power lead.. maybe i was just lucky..! :cool:

Dan

Last edited:
Associate
I just wanted to pick up on a few things discussed earlier

1) Backlight bleed. There is definitely some backlight bleed at the sides (particularly lower). In daytime I can't really see it at all even on a black screen. At night, it is moderately obvious if you have the brightness set to maximum. However if the backlight is dimmed, such as using the auto-brightness (ECO function), then it becomes difficult to notice again

2) Other points about screen. I want to say a huge positive is the uniformity/linearity across the screen though, such as a full white frame. Luminance is VERY even across the screen on mine....better than my professional photograde NEC monitor I had a few years ago. Chrominance does "appear" to vary SLIGHTLY from left to right but actually it doesn't. It is due to the TN panel and it being such a large screen that you can see some effect of thie angle. But I have to be honest and say even this still looks better overall than my NEC monitor.

3) Out of the box photo colour accuracy is incredible. Having run a sensor on the panel, out of the box it was really not far off to start with at all...almost hardly worth calibrating! The default picture mode for some reason is "custom". There is a standard mode which is also very accurate but set to a more reasonable 160lux

4) Ghosting. Having had 2 nVidia compatible monitors (the original Samsung 2233 and an Alienware one), I can tell you this monitor has the worst ghosting of all of them. I know people have talked about modifying 3D game settings to minimise the ghosting but this is just cheating around what is a genuine issue with this panel. I am not going to say the ghosting totally ruins the experience. It doesn't at all. But considering this is 3rd generation now, I expected better. There may be factors from other settings on the panel that get learned over time though which may improve things.

5) Glossy panel. The reflection IS an issue particularly if you have a window behind where you sit. There is never an issue with being able to read the screen as I think there is some sort of polarisation of the light from the panel. However the reflection is there and visible. I have seen much worse...I understand why glossy has its advantages with "apparent" contrast and vibrancy...but I am not convinced about glossy for a monitor you spend so many hours infront of doing work as well as play.

Associate
Are you running frame sequential and with HDMI or DVI-DL for this?

No. Using Left Right due to my NV gfx card. Connected via DVI-DL. Frame sequential is ATI 5/6 series only.:(

There are some issues with icons and the cursor in DoW2, but IMO still very impressive. MW2 was fun, BFBC2 was a mess TBH.

I have no doubt frame sequential should be better, but having never used other 3d systems my comments should only be taken as personal "first impressions" and no comparisons between systems should be drawn from them. I'm just providing some feedback on which TriDef profiles seem to work well for me "out of the box".

Associate

Once you select it the game launches after a few second delay.. the annoying thing is that you have to manually select frame sequential on the S27a950 otherwise you'll just get a blurry screen and your 3d glasses wont switch on.

Just to echo the above. Having to manually select the 3d mode on the monitor is annoying! :mad: You also have to deal with a corrupted screen until you get the correct setting which takes a good few seconds. I also had some corrupted menu screens in some games (BFBC2 for example). Mouse positioning was sometimes inaccurate (but not in game, only in menu screens).

Back
Top Bottom