** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
I did contact Tridef support regarding my issue with getting frame sequential with a 6990 over DVI.

They at first said, HD3D is ONLY HDMI and nothing else. When I challenge them by pointing them to posts here, they said they don't have a 6990 to try but suspect its because its a dual-GPU card.

Hmm...not very conclusive at all. I don't expect the display port cable to behave differently based on this, but I will give it a whirl later anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
holy **** only hdmi :( 120 Hz are pointless then and gaming at 1280x720 at 30 Hz for eye omg omg

Not true. For HDMI its 1080p at 24Hz PER EYE (total 48) or 720p at 60Hz PER EYE (total 120).

With Dual-link DVI-D or Display port, then it should be possible to achieve 1080p at 60Hz per eye (total 120). It is not 120 per eye.

Right now though, I cannot get 3D over Dual-link DVD-D frame sequential. Others can. It looks like I should have gone for 2 6970s rather than a 6990....too late now.

Associate
Can those who have received theirs, comment if they can get the monitor to sit perfectly upright at 90 degrees? Or whether theirs is also always tilted very slight back?

Associate
Can those who have received theirs, comment if they can get the monitor to sit perfectly upright at 90 degrees? Or whether theirs is also always tilted very slight back?

I think mine is tilted slightly back. A safety feature i'd imagine to prevent it falling over forwards. I will double check when i get home.

Associate
4) Ghosting. Having had 2 nVidia compatible monitors (the original Samsung 2233 and an Alienware one), I can tell you this monitor has the worst ghosting of all of them. I know people have talked about modifying 3D game settings to minimise the ghosting but this is just cheating around what is a genuine issue with this panel. I am not going to say the ghosting totally ruins the experience. It doesn't at all. But considering this is 3rd generation now, I expected better. There may be factors from other settings on the panel that get learned over time though which may improve things.

I am not sure how you manage to see ghosting ?? I have been playing BFBC2 with it for a long time now with fast moving helis etc, at 120hz with normal response time, I can see no physical ghosting , none-whatsoever. Am I missing something?

Unless** you mean 3D ghosting, in which case I have noticed it once or twice during L4D2 play, but other than that, zippo.

Associate
I am not sure how you manage to see ghosting ?? I have been playing BFBC2 with it for a long time now with fast moving helis etc, at 120hz with normal response time, I can see no physical ghosting , none-whatsoever. Am I missing something?

Unless** you mean 3D ghosting, in which case I have noticed it once or twice during L4D2 play, but other than that, zippo.

I think the 3D ghosting is software related rather then hardware so some people with different cards, settings, games and so on might see some while others don't. The monitor is certainly fast enough to not show 3D ghosting provided the software gives it the right images to display.

Associate

I did mean 3D ghosting..sorry for the confusion. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Some tune it out.

It is not software related. It happens with the 2D->3D conversion built-in to the monitor too.

Associate
At the end of the day, this monitor does what it promises 2D wise and then some( still consider 3D a gimmick more than anything else), it is super fast in all scenarios, and I absolutely love 120hz ,its like heaven, no joke, there is no way in hell I ll be able to ever go back to 60hz panels, out of the question.

Associate
Im interested in getting a 3D monitor just for the 120hz 2D. This monitor sounds like it could be easy on my eyes, 27inch's and only 1900x1080 Im always getting tired eyes and eye strain it seems. I play games like L4D2 and QuakeLive also i play a lot of online poker.

I have no interest in wearing glass's to play games in 3D, i have no interest in the 3D side at all. So should i consider getting this monitor or would any of the cheaper 3D monitors be just as good just for the 120hz aspect?

Associate
The Samsung is 4" bigger and because of the glossy ultra clear finish the colour is probably more punchy however the LG is a fraction of the price , renders great colours and like the Samsung has no perceivable lag.

I've owned the LG for a few months now and I'm very happy with it giving that I paid well under £200. That said if money was no object I'd have almost certainly ordered the Samsung by now for 2D only as I find glossy displays easier on my eyes - I'm not sure if that's normal or not :-/

Much like yourself it was eye strain and tiredness that prompted me to move to 120hz and its definitely helped but keep in mind you need to be outputting the frames to take full advantage of that 120hz refresh. Prior to the LG display I was using a 30" DELL and I'm much happier with the LG because it suits my particular needs better.

Last edited:
Associate
I've owned the LG for a few months now and I'm very happy with it giving that I paid well under £200. That said if money was no object I'd have almost certainly ordered the Samsung by now for 2D only as I find glossy displays easier on my eyes - I'm not sure if that's normal or not :-/

What's the model number of the LG you own?
In my experience, LG stuff is usually pretty cheap feeling, plasticky and lightweight. How do you find the build quality?

Associate
The LG build is certainly not as attractive or as solid as the likes of the latest Samsungs or the DELL displays for that matter but it's not too shabby either and where it really counts it delivers.

Its a plastic surround with a glossy black finish in fairness it looks fine but it won't turn any heads!

W2363D-PF
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-091-LG

pcsetup_backroom.JPG

Looks all right on my desk and only £167 :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think im going to take the plunge and buy the Samsung. I know some people are having issues with the 3D but as long as the 2D is fine thats what matters the most. I hear even in windows desktop it feels better? :)

Associate
I think im going to take the plunge and buy the Samsung. I know some people are having issues with the 3D but as long as the 2D is fine thats what matters the most. I hear even in windows desktop it feels better? :)

Oh yes! 120Hz is rock solid in windows and the colours are great!:cool:

Only things missing are 3d vision and Tridef sequential frame mode for NV users.:(

Associate
Yes it does, everything moves more smoothly be it windows on your desktop or running around like an idiot on Black Ops. (I'm going to wash my mouth out!)

Last edited:
Associate
At this time an AMD card is better for the monitor due to being able to use frame sequential 3D. I bet as time goes by nVidia will get this too especially if more 3D monitors go the card agnostic route as this would put pressure on nVidia to work things out.

Associate
should I buy 6970 then instead of 580 to get the benefits of using 3D?

At the moment for Tridef with this screen Yes! Frame sequential should be better.

Updated! - TriDef 3D experiences so far.
DoW 2 in 3D is EPIC.
BFBC2 is poor.
MW2 is good.
Black Ops (Zombies at least) is good.
Dragon Age 2 Looks amazing! :cool:But the cursor is screwed up!:(

Seems to vary game to game which is a little dissapointing.

Back
Top Bottom