** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

I hope so, cuz AMD HD3D is only hdmi 1.4 and i dont think AMD will do some thing just for Samsung

They will put a driver out for it. See this interview with AMD about it:

AMD said:
The competition does in fact support HDMI 1.4a, but we're also supporting 3D over DisplayPort, which is defined by EISA, and I don't think our competitor is supporting that at the moment. Samsung has already announced some monitors that will support stereo 3D over DisplayPort - the SA750 and the SA950 - so we'll put out a driver update that supports those monitors.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/05/23/amd-talks-hd3d/1

Sounds very similar to what I found. Only with HDMI could I get frame sequential to work. Have you got the right cables to try that at least to prove you can get 3D working?

i have a hdmi port on my video card so will try it tonight when i get home,

but reading the post after you, it sounds like we have bought a monitor that has a lot of should do's and not many can DO's lol

dont get me wrong, im in love with this beast, its just finished off the look of my whole setup,

and SBS 3D black ops played really nice,

have not tried 2D to 3D conversion, but will try that as well,

also i tried playing tron legacy 3D, but powerdvd kept trying t5o play it but then stop all the time, so dont understand what thats all about, is there any other software that can play 3D blu rays!! preferable free ;) but guess that is hoping:D

oh and the colours/pq of this display are outstanding for me,

Could you try those vids I linked above too? I'm really interested to hear about the ghosting when watching something that doesn't use TriDef or 2d to 3d. Just watch them in full screen with the appropriate mode selected on the monitor.

Just another image to share showing how my monitor won't go completely vertical. I know its only slightly out, but the extra reflections I get are really annoying. If I use the "ghetto-fix" idea of sticking rubber feet under the back, the reflections are significantly reduced. Hopefully the replacement will be a lot better! As I mentioned previously I have seen 2 pictures now with perfectly straight vertical panels, one copied below

28w1vd.jpg

5sdp3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Gigabyte 560 TI which uses 2 DVI and a mini displayport.

Can I still use the 750D model which does not have a DVI?

Would a DVI be the better option?

Just another image to share showing how my monitor won't go completely vertical. I know its only slightly out, but the extra reflections I get are really annoying. If I use the "ghetto-fix" idea of sticking rubber feet under the back, the reflections are significantly reduced. Hopefully the replacement will be a lot better! As I mentioned previously I have seen 2 pictures now with perfectly straight vertical panels, one copied below

28w1vd.jpg

5sdp3.jpg

hmmmmm i have not have a proper monkey tweak of the display hinge but mines preety much like yours, however my seeting position means im slightly looking down on it, so will see how it goes this week, but going on that bottom photo its def supposed to be upright :confused:

I have a Gigabyte 560 TI which uses 2 DVI and a mini displayport.

Can I still use the 750D model which does not have a DVI?

Would a DVI be the better option?

no i think you will be ok with Display port, just not sure what display options you will have compaired to an ati card, think nvidea users are just limited to SBS 3D, having said that given my current problems with my ATI setup so am I :eek:lol

Thanks for the reply Madmax.

Can I ask a more detailed question?

My card has a MINI-displayport socket. Does the 750 monitor come with compatible cable?

Will using a displayport cable be any different from using a dvi-to-displaypost cable or buying the 950 and using DVI straight through?

Basically I need to know what I need to do for the best. Pay more and get the 950 with DVI, get the 750 and use a dvi to displayport cable or using a mini displayport to displayport cable?

Thanks for the reply Madmax.

Can I ask a more detailed question?

My card has a MINI-displayport socket. Does the 750 monitor come with compatible cable?

Will using a displayport cable be any different from using a dvi-to-displaypost cable or buying the 950 and using DVI straight through?

Basically I need to know what I need to do for the best. Pay more and get the 950 with DVI, get the 750 and use a dvi to displayport cable or using a mini displayport to displayport cable?

well given that DVI-D and DP on the 950 are supposed to give the same results i would say yeh, but im no expert:D

i searched for loads of min dp to dp cables, and they are like rockin horse stuff, startech seem to make most of them, but DP to hdmi or dvi, take your pic, billions of them, but weather you lose out with any functions again im not sure,

i bought both a mini dp to DP and a dvi to dvi just incase, oh and cannot speak for others but i know a few including myself, buying the 950 , you will need a figure 8 2 pin plug to mains socket plug coz the one they supply is akettle lead and it doesnt fit the psu supplied with the monitor, unless you squeeze real tight that is pmsl

also i tried playing tron legacy 3D, but powerdvd kept trying t5o play it but then stop all the time, so dont understand what thats all about, is there any other software that can play 3D blu rays!! preferable free ;) but guess that is hoping:D

Unless you have PowerDVD 10 Ultra (not an OEM copy) then you won't have 3D support available. That's probably the case, since that is what happens when you try and play a 3D movie in an older version of PDVD Ultra or a non-Ultra one that is otherwise 3D capable.

It's only a trial, but grab Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 and try with that, it's only a 14 day thing, but it will give you ample time to try it and watch the movie a couple times without any interference.

As far as I'm aware, there are no free players on the market. Very recently a bluray player was put out for free (bit of a first as they had all been OEM or for a premium before that), but not sure if it stayed available, and it didn't have 3D support anyway.

Unless you have PowerDVD 10 Ultra (not an OEM copy) then you won't have 3D support available. That's probably the case, since that is what happens when you try and play a 3D movie in an older version of PDVD Ultra or a non-Ultra one that is otherwise 3D capable.

It's only a trial, but grab Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 and try with that, it's only a 14 day thing, but it will give you ample time to try it and watch the movie a couple times without any interference.

As far as I'm aware, there are no free players on the market. Very recently a bluray player was put out for free (bit of a first as they had all been OEM or for a premium before that), but not sure if it stayed available, and it didn't have 3D support anyway.

thanks for the heads up. , will have a look at total media,. if i was using my monitor as a tv etc, id probably stump the £50(with current discounts)
and will certainly check out the trial,

def will not be buying it, i got powerdvd with my blu ray drive, so might see how much it is to upgrade,

There is definitely no obvious difference between displayport or DVI. My 6990 came with a miniDP->HDMI female, miniDP->DVI female, miniDP->DVI male, miniDP->full size DP, so I have been trying all sorts of combinations and cables. 120Hz works the same whether via DP or DVI. But the only one that I can get 3D frame sequential working with so far is HDMI. I saw a Russian review where they seem to have got it working at 120Hz, but requiring the user to always engage 3D manually. Via HDMI, the 3D is detected automatically.

Could you try those vids I linked above too? I'm really interested to hear about the ghosting when watching something that doesn't use TriDef or 2d to 3d. Just watch them in full screen with the appropriate mode selected on the monitor.

i just watched them using both the DP connection and hdmi, and TBH they seemed really good to me, giving the not so great quality of them, but there where certain scenes i thought looked pretty nice, no ghosting;)

cannot play 3D movies successfully in any other mode except when connected to hdmi
using total media trial,, i played tron legacy 3D and its pretty damm awesome

my power dvd is 10 ultra but i cannot verify its authenticity:cool:

but the totaL MEDIA TRIAL works nicely in hdmi frame sequncial

just to add my findings re games using an ATI 6870:

with DVI to DVI connected, fraMe sequential doesnt work, only side by side, whilst playing black ops and F1 2010 and both had severe ghousting

for some reason i could not get 2D - 3D to work it kept defaulting the games to SBS. i think i did get it to go once and it seemed ok,.

the above was exactly the same for mini DP to DP

ok now hdmi to hdmi

using either SBS or sequential worked fine and couldnt notice any real diffencies, def no ghousting, the only problem
i had was in sequential playing black ops, the game played fine

but when the game loads i keep getting wot i am going to call the "white and black screens of almost death" lol

each time i have to do ALT- TAB to go out and back then it loads then,,,

one other thing with DP and DVI i get aobut 43 FPS but with HDMI with both SBS and seq i get 4 - max 24 FPS

Frame sequential mode in TriDef on both ATI and NV looks a bit useless at the moment. ATI only and HDMI only! :mad:

That leaves us all with side by side mode.:(

Anyone got any comparisons to offer between TriDef SBS and NV 3D vision?:confused:

Any ideas of how to get 3D vision working?;)

I just watched Transformers 2 in 2D-3D conversion from my PS3 and wow was it good. I do have one gripe, which is, the sound output from the headphones is incredibly quiet for me.

Arma 2 is great in 3D, although there is an issue with the dynamic sky which is highly annoying (it renders two different skies for each eye, so looks horrible and flickers).

DOW2 is good too, but it looks bad with pixelated effects and people (especially the skinny eldar, end up being 1 pixel thick.. and even anti aliasing cant fix that..)

Warcraft 3: TFT is good in 3D and works with IZ3D in SBS mode, however the reduced pixels are not worth it in this game.

Killzone3: as said by someone before, in 3D looks bad.. The graphics reduction is just not worth it. 2D-3D conversion is OK here.

GT5: Has ghosting issues, but other than that it is good, however I can't see the huge improvement for 3D. (again graphics decrease)

F1:2010 Doesn't work, for some reason it streches itself 4x and just fails..

BF:BC2 doesn't work either, just goes to a black screen. But in 2D with 100fps+ it is amazing to what an improvement it is. I was always a sceptic of the improvement of 60hz vs 120hz, but my god does it show!

Battlefield 2: Unfortunately doesn't work for the best mod for it (Project reality) but the 2d-3D conversion works its wonders there, no visible ghosting and general added niceness.

This monitor would be 10/10 except it is 7/10 due to the lack of support for frame sequential for Nvidia cards.

Tomorrow I will try Civ 5 using tridef and Unreal Tournement 3.

Films are as I said before, Great in 2D-3D conversion, but make sure they're HD or you can get some not so nice effects (only viewed Youtube in SD, I will try a SD film soon)

Last edited:
Pedz, thanks for your mini-review. What do u mean by pixelated effects, reduced pixels and graphics decrease?

The pixelated effect is because of the sbs image. Try playing a game in low res on a large screen and each pixel seems huge.

The graphics decrease is stuff like reduced texture detail, no aa, very jagged edges on everything etc.

I'll try and post some pics to explain a bit better when I'm back home

All,

You will recall my post about the monitor not standing true vertical. The replacement was no better, and after having spoken with OC again about this, they looked at one and they are all the same. The ones I have seen dead straight were made in Mexico, whereas this batch is made in Romania. It looks like a minor manufacturing issue. It's certainly not the end of the world, but a bit of an oversight by Samsung which may get addressed in later batches, maybe not.

I am really impressed with the support and help from OC and I wanted to recognise their responsiveness and help with this for me.

I decided to keep the monitor anyway as I just love the general image quality (120Hz 2D) and I got lucky with the uniformity of mine....so I will go with the "ghetto-fix" AKA "rubber feet" as I don't want to be without this monitor altogether.

All,

You will recall my post about the monitor not standing true vertical. The replacement was no better, and after having spoken with OC again about this, they looked at one and they are all the same. The ones I have seen dead straight were made in Mexico, whereas this batch is made in Romania. It looks like a minor manufacturing issue. It's certainly not the end of the world, but a bit of an oversight by Samsung which may get addressed in later batches, maybe not.

I am really impressed with the support and help from OC and I wanted to recognise their responsiveness and help with this for me.

I decided to keep the monitor anyway as I just love the general image quality (120Hz 2D) and I got lucky with the uniformity of mine....so I will go with the "ghetto-fix" AKA "rubber feet" as I don't want to be without this monitor altogether.

its nice to know the support is there ;)

re the monitor, despite mine not been completely straight either it makes me grin every time i see it off or on:D

my only real grip is that im between arock and a hard place as cannot have 120hz and hdmi connected, but until the DVI/DP frame sequential issue is sorted the only 3D i can use is on hdmi, :mad:

its nice to know the support is there ;)

re the monitor, despite mine not been completely straight either it makes me grin every time i see it off or on:D

my only real grip is that im between arock and a hard place as cannot have 120hz and hdmi connected, but until the DVI/DP frame sequential issue is sorted the only 3D i can use is on hdmi, :mad:

My hope is that will be resolved if AMD's promise holds true. I read on another forum that a test hotfix was in circulation to enable Displayport 120Hz 3D, and I contacted AMD asking for it...but absolute silence so far.

Back
Top Bottom