** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Sounds like useable ATI frame sequential drivers are out for native res @ 120Hz. I'd be interesting in hearing how much better they work/look than SBS.:)

Shame us NV users are still left out!:mad:

I did try shutter mode and all i got was a 2D image...there was no shutter! I suspect this will also start working if I follow the trick to install 11.5b first which i will be doing in the next hour. I will report back shortly.

thats curious!?
I switched ati drivers from 10.x to 11.6 and iz3d shutter mode works, but have a no go with tridef 120hz f.sequential ("no 3d display installed...")?

will test the 11.5b trick too and will report.

@StAnToN:
can you post your detailled system and software specs?
which games do you try out for ghosting tests?

I've tried iz3d and tridef there booth around the same as can see quite a bit of ghosting it seems that the left eye is seeing a lighter image than the left nOt sure why I'm still looking into it

Crossfire does actually work with the drivers I ported but not working properly there seems to be some sort of flashing with the image

Success now with Tridef at 120Hz using DisplayPort! :)

I have to disable the crossfire of my 6990 by using RadeonPro (as catalyst drivers don't show a disable option for the dual cards).

I can't get IZ3D to work but I think this is because Tridef and IZ3D are interfering with each other. With the bundled samsung version of tridef you cannot switch it off! Even if you don't start the game from the tridef launcher the Tridef driver still intervenes!

Anyway at least this proves I can get 120Hz 3D working. I agree the ghosting isn't great. I can see some additional sharpness/detail over SBS. I wouldn't say it was Heaven and Earth difference though but I think that maybe because the ghosting partly distracts/removes some of that gain.

LFD2 works quite well if you leave the depth at 50 and then raise the adjustment for infront of screen to 70. Then the guns you hold are infront of the screen as if you are standing outside the screen shooting in...pretty cool.

Success now with Tridef at 120Hz using DisplayPort! :)

I have to disable the crossfire of my 6990 by using RadeonPro (as catalyst drivers don't show a disable option for the dual cards).

I can't get IZ3D to work but I think this is because Tridef and IZ3D are interfering with each other. With the bundled samsung version of tridef you cannot switch it off! Even if you don't start the game from the tridef launcher the Tridef driver still intervenes!

Anyway at least this proves I can get 120Hz 3D working. I agree the ghosting isn't great. I can see some additional sharpness/detail over SBS. I wouldn't say it was Heaven and Earth difference though but I think that maybe because the ghosting partly distracts/removes some of that gain.

LFD2 works quite well if you leave the depth at 50 and then raise the adjustment for infront of screen to 70. Then the guns you hold are infront of the screen as if you are standing outside the screen shooting in...pretty cool.

Good to hear. What kind of framerate are you running when viewing 120Hz 3D on the titles where you notice the ghosting?

Good to hear. What kind of framerate are you running when viewing 120Hz 3D on the titles where you notice the ghosting?

Well I was just trying LFD2 which seems to be running around 45-60 with the 6990 crippled to one GPU. That is with all options set to maximum though. It will never go above 60 because it becomes locked when in 3D.

Last edited:
Sometimes people also use 'washed out' to refer to a lack of distinction between subtle shades - which is something most TN panel monitors are quite weak at, especially if their contrast is poor. Sometimes they may have seen and become accustomed to certain details in their favourite game titles and when these details disappear they notice it. Personally I reserve the term 'washed out' for noticeably muted or bleached colours but I always support this statement by highlighting the specific aspects I am referring to.

I mean all of that, there is very little distinction between subtle shades, looking at photographs, everyone looks airbrushed and made of plasticine.
In videos, everything looked bland and flat.
When I got the monitor, I had to check that it hadn't defaulted to a 16 bit colour depth, that's how instantly noticeable it was. The banding in games was atrotious.
When I had both monitors running together, I took a few screenshots in left 4 dead 2 to compare them side by side and the difference was massive. The 950 looked totally washed out, there was lots of banding, a lack of definition, the colours was washed out and less vibrant across the board, even the punchy blue sports car at the start of dark carnival looked muted and dull.
I tried every combination of settings to get this monitor to look good.
One way of making the colours more vibrant and punchy was to lower the gamma slightly in my gpu settings, tilt the monitor back slightly and ramp up the contrast on the display.
The monitor then started to get closer to looking half decent but of course it was useless because these settings totally destroyed the black levels and bright colours from about 26 upwards here - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php were just a block of the same colour.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Clippa does have a poor unit

Yes, I agree, either people are used to bad screens and notice no difference, are exagerating how good the panel is, or I just have a bad egg.
the samsung 245b is by no means a great monitor, a new modern 600 quid job should be blowing it out of the water in every respect.
So far my experience with 120hz has been bad, my 245b has put both the 950 and the lg I tried to shame.
120hz is very nice, I want it, but it's been a real pain in the backside so far :D

either way if he isn't satisfied he should certainly be notifying OcUK of his desire to DSR the monitor ASAP.

Yeah, it's been all boxed up and ready to go for the last 5 days, just waiting for some parcel paper to arrive.

I mean all of that, there is very little distinction between subtle shades, looking at photographs, everyone looks airbrushed and made of plasticine.
In videos, everything looked bland and flat.
When I got the monitor, I had to check that it hadn't defaulted to a 16 bit colour depth, that's how instantly noticeable it was. The banding in games was atrotious.
When I had both monitors running together, I took a few screenshots in left 4 dead 2 to compare them side by side and the difference was massive. The 950 looked totally washed out, there was lots of banding, a lack of definition, the colours was washed out and less vibrant across the board, even the punchy blue sports car at the start of dark carnival looked muted and dull.
I tried every combination of settings to get this monitor to look good.
One way of making the colours more vibrant and punchy was to lower the gamma slightly in my gpu settings, tilt the monitor back slightly and ramp up the contrast on the display.
The monitor then started to get closer to looking half decent but of course it was useless because these settings totally destroyed the black levels and bright colours from about 26 upwards here - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php were just a block of the same colour.

Yes, I agree, either people are used to bad screens and notice no difference, are exagerating how good the panel is, or I just have a bad egg.
the samsung 245b is by no means a great monitor, a new modern 600 quid job should be blowing it out of the water in every respect.
So far my experience with 120hz has been bad, my 245b has put both the 950 and the lg I tried to shame.
120hz is very nice, I want it, but it's been a real pain in the backside so far :D

Yeah, it's been all boxed up and ready to go for the last 5 days, just waiting for some parcel paper to arrive.

All I can tell you is I don't see any banding on the test screens on the website. It is a smooth ramp. And I can clearly make out all shades at the white and black ends on the individual marked level boxes.

If that's the case, then I definitely got a faulty panel.

That being said...the test screens do show how having a 27" panel is not great for colour accuracy being a TN type especially when calibrated to 120lux. And I noticed after I calibrated with an i1 pro, that things become redder towards the bottom and greener towards the top. It is still good enough for the kind of photo work I do, and of course the centre is fine. This variation is not panel uniformity errors, it is the TN angle effect.

The reason TN panels often exhibit this more at lower brightness output, is apparently something to do with the amount of polarised light output. With more light output, less proportion of the light is polarised and it appears to be more even across the screen regardless of viewing angle. While I can't vouch for the correctness of this explanation, I can definitely say that the brighter I set the monitor before calibrating, the less the viewing angle effect seems to come into play. I am thinking to try setting to 160 output instead of 120 and calibrating with that.

I just read in russian manual for this monitor that you will be only get 120Hz with AMD HD(6)5000 or above in 3D!!! So all grafik cards like Amd hd5000,hd4000 and Nvidia would get only 60 hz in slide by slide mode. Is this really true? If yes this monitors suck really big

Last edited:
I just read in russian manual for this monitor that you will be only get 120Hz with AMD HD6000 or above in 3D!!! So all grafik cards like Amd hd5000,hd4000 and Nvidia would get only 60 hz in slide by slide mode. Is this really true? If yes this monitors suck really big

i think some HD5xxx models work.

But what you stated is not quite correct. You can get 120Hz in side by side mode.

[cut]...

Good stuff. The last thing you want is to be stuck with such an expensive monitor that you really just can't bring yourself to like. Are you going for a refund coupled by further consideration of your options or refund followed by replacement monitor? Even if your unit was a duffer it would just be another example of the kind of inter-unit variation consumers have to consider when thinking about monitors. As if the job isn't confusing enough.

I'm not going to go for that monitor again. Even if I hit on and got a perfect panel, there's still too much about the monitor I dislike for it to be worth 600 quid to me.
I'll be steering well clear of glossy panels, that's for sure.

When a decent 27" 120hz comes along, I'll consider it but in the mean time, I'm waiting for a professional review of the E2770V.
I was very impressed with the thru mode on the lg I tried. If it works as good on this monitor and the panel is as good as people have been saying it is, I'll get one of those.

I believe it was going to be an ips panel to begin with so some sites have it incorrectly listed as having 14ms response time when it should be 5.
Truemotion sounds like the crappy 120hz interpolating you get on TV's so that wouldn't get used.

Okay..but I have a side by side image displaying right now and the monitor says its getting a 120Hz signal.

Sounds like an issue of terminology (or plain bad wording in the manual).

It's displaying 60Hz of graphics data being splurted up the wire from the graphics card, at 120Hz by stretching and alternating parts of each frame twice. Just depends where it's being measured from, inputs (60Hz) or outputs (120Hz).

Sounds like an issue of terminology (or plain bad wording in the manual).

It's displaying 60Hz of graphics data being splurted up the wire from the graphics card, at 120Hz by stretching and alternating parts of each frame twice. Just depends where it's being measured from, inputs (60Hz) or outputs (120Hz).

Yup..that makes absolute sense.

did a lot of more 3d tests, so here are my final conclusions (tested with Dragon Age, DX9):

switched to ati driver 11.5b hotfix, so tridef frame sequential with dp or dvi works now with my Radeon 5870, but...

Display Port or DVI 120Hz:
TriDef FS: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)
TriDef SBS: works, but horrible ghosting
IZ3D Shutter: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)
IZ3D SBS: works, but horrible ghosting

HDMI 60Hz:
TriDef FS: works perfect, no ghosting (but only 1080p/24 or 720p/60 :mad:)

so the only working and really playable mode is the HDMI frame sequential mode from TriDef -> hmm..that was not the reason for buying a 120Hz 3D Monitor :(
i am now definetly thinking about returning the monitor, looking for an 3DTV (with checkerboard and framesequential modes, like Samsung UE40D7090) or I will make a look to the Acer HN274H 120Hz Monitor.

did a lot of more 3d tests, so here are my final conclusions (tested with Dragon Age, DX9):

switched to ati driver 11.5b hotfix, so tridef frame sequential with dp or dvi works now with my Radeon 5870, but...

Display Port or DVI 120Hz:
TriDef FS: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)

HDMI 60Hz:
TriDef FS: works perfect, no ghosting (but only 1080p/24 or 720p/60 :mad:)

so the only working and really playable mode is the HDMI frame sequential mode from TriDef -> hmm..that was not the reason for buying a 120Hz 3D Monitor :(
i am now definetly thinking about returning the monitor, looking for an 3DTV (with checkerboard and framesequential modes, like Samsung UE40D7090) or I will make a look to the Acer HN274H 120Hz Monitor.

You are manually going into the 3D menu on the monitor and choosing Frame Sequential right? It auto-detects this via HDMI but fails to over displayport or DVI.

I have no problem using 11.5b with displayport at 120Hz and its definitely 3D. There is ghosting for me in both HDMI and display port.

Also, some have said it ghosts more in one eye than the other. I am finding it ghosts in both eyes equally. Our vision isn't perfect in both eyes, so you should always turn the glasses upside down to evaluate whether it truly is biased towards one eye, or your brain just thinks it is.

Back
Top Bottom