** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Hi I'm new on this forum, and wanted to ask you guys owning the monitor some questions.

First of it's the SA750 I want to get, and as you know it only has a HDMI port and a displayport. My MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 570 only has 2 DL DVI's, and 1 HDMI connection. Is it possible to get 120Hz in 2D in my case? THIS QUESTION IS VERY IMPORTANT :) Because if it doesen't work I'll have to buy another GTX 570 with a Displayport and run it in SLI.

And finally have it been confirmed by Samsung that the SA750 models will be released this month? I'm from Denmark btw, and retailers here say it will arrive around the 28-29th of July, but they keep changing the release date.

What a great excuse to get another 570 ;) i'm waiting for the 750 also, it seems to feel like a long wait.

im finding that it varies on some games.

for instance mass effect 2 looks brilliant on the tridef driver and so does alice madness returns.

for fear 3 it doesnt work right and there seems to be a problem with shadows.

i would suggest trying to use the options when the game has loaded up to change the 3D depth and the of 3D in front that considerbly imroved lack of ghosting for me in some games.

i think it does depend on your eyes and on the glasses, as ive got a jvc projector that is picutre perfect with 3D and a panasonic 60" plasma display that shows some ghosting from time to time.

im sure once amd release offical drivers that support this monitor which we will hopefully see in 11.7 things might improve.

regardless im happy with the monitor and the 120hz in 2D i came from a apple led 27" cinema display.

Very simply, ghosting is more seen when the divergence between two objects on screen is greater. When you take your glasses off, you can see the two versions of an object. By reducing depth, or bringing the image more out of the screen, you change the maximum divergence of an object. The closer together the two representations of the object are, the less ghosting your brain will tune into.

This is nothing to do with good or bad drivers. The fact is if the monitor simply didn't ghost due to good design, it wouldn't matter what those settings were. Unfortunately there is ghosting, and therefore playing with those settings, changes the maximum divergence of objects, and thus reduces the APPARENT detection of ghosting. In fact the ghosting is always there but the brain can tune some of it out.

From what i have read problems with things like shadows can be due to the way they are added to the rendered frames. If they are post processing added late in the redering cycles then the 3D drivers are confused as to what depth to apply. Its just the way the game draws the screen. The game designers did not take into consideration 3D drivers. Some games will thus have issues with certain graphical effects. Turning off these effects will clean up the 3D visuals.

Maybe in future (with the take up of 3D) game designers will take these things into consideration, but i think its a long way off. For now its a question of trial and error and playing with settings.

Cursors are my major worry. Some RPGs are unplayable without an effective cursor! Can anyone get Dragon Age 2 to work with a usable cursor? It LOOKS amazing, but the cursor is miss-aligned. :(

did a lot of more 3d tests, so here are my final conclusions (tested with Dragon Age, DX9):

switched to ati driver 11.5b hotfix, so tridef frame sequential with dp or dvi works now with my Radeon 5870, but...

Display Port or DVI 120Hz:
TriDef FS: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)
TriDef SBS: works, but horrible ghosting
IZ3D Shutter: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)
IZ3D SBS: works, but horrible ghosting

HDMI 60Hz:
TriDef FS: works perfect, no ghosting (but only 1080p/24 or 720p/60 :mad:)
IZ3D Shutter: works, but horrible ghosting and my eyes hurt (no real 3D Image?)
IZ3D SBS: works, but horrible ghosting

so the only working and really playable mode is the HDMI frame sequential mode from TriDef -> hmm..that was not the reason for buying a 120Hz 3D Monitor :(
i am now definetly thinking about returning the monitor, looking for an 3DTV (with checkerboard and framesequential modes, like Samsung UE40D7090) or I will make a look to the Acer HN274H 120Hz Monitor.

oh man, I should have heard on you earlier: The iz3d and tridef software cannot coexist on the same system, even when you disable the iz3d driver in the menu or dont start a game through the tridef-launcher! :rolleyes:

now with only the tridef driver on the system the results are much better:

Display Port 120Hz:
TriDef FS 120Hz: works, some ghosting
Have to enable 3D FS manually in the monitor menu
TriDef SBS: works, slightly more ghosting than FS

DVI 120Hz:
TriDef FS 120Hz: works perfect, no ghosting! :)
Monitor switches automatic to the 3D Mode! :)
TriDef SBS: not tested

HDMI 60Hz:
TriDef FS: works perfect, no ghosting (but only 1080p/24 or 720p/60)
Monitor switches automatic to the 3D Mode!

The HDMI and DVI modes seem to treat the 3d functionality of the monitor in the same way. With DP (with the same monitor menu config) the 3d mode shows different colors, contrast and some ghosting.

I will keep this monitor now, because the 120Hz FS DVI Mode is exactly the thing that I wanted from this monitor. Hope that AMD will not break the Radeon drivers in the future like with 11.6.

I will keep this monitor now, because the 120Hz FS DVI Mode is exactly the thing that I wanted from this monitor. Hope that AMD will not break the Radeon drivers in the future like with 11.6.

Good to hear ATI drivers are now working correctly. :) Shame the same can't be said for NV! I'm VERY dissapointed there is no work around for FS on NV cards. :(

oh man, I should have heard on you earlier: The iz3d and tridef software cannot coexist on the same system, even when you disable the iz3d driver in the menu or dont start a game through the tridef-launcher! :rolleyes:

now with only the tridef driver on the system the results are much better:

Display Port 120Hz:
TriDef FS 120Hz: works, some ghosting
Have to enable 3D FS manually in the monitor menu
TriDef SBS: works, slightly more ghosting than FS

DVI 120Hz:
TriDef FS 120Hz: works perfect, no ghosting! :)
Monitor switches automatic to the 3D Mode! :)
TriDef SBS: not tested

HDMI 60Hz:
TriDef FS: works perfect, no ghosting (but only 1080p/24 or 720p/60)
Monitor switches automatic to the 3D Mode!

The HDMI and DVI modes seem to treat the 3d functionality of the monitor in the same way. With DP (with the same monitor menu config) the 3d mode shows different colors, contrast and some ghosting.

Maybe your ghosting tolerance is better than mine, but I see ghosting via both HDMI and DVI. However, it IS less than via displayport. Strangely ghosts are darker than surrounding objects via HDMI and DVI, but are lighter than surrounding objects in displayport. DVI is definitely the better option for 120Hz.

Also I found that 3D mode is auto-detected via DVI now, whereas for displayport I had to engage it manually. So DVI is the best connection it seems for now.

I still wish the ghosting was better and maybe there will be some other setting or tweak that comes out later for that. In the meantime, my hope is the imminent 11.7 catalyst drivers will solve my 6990 dual-GPU limitations and I will be happy at that point.

Jonstratt

Ill try the dvi to see if it makes any diffrence on my end.

do you have mass effect 2, if you do give it a try would be intrested to see your thoughts on ghosting after you try that game.

Maze what games are you trying on all three connections where your not seeing any ghosting and have you changed any settings in the game or on the driver?

I received this monitor yesterday. I`m running it with an MSI GTX 580 Lightning via DVI. Forgetting about 3D, even after a clean install using the latest Nvidia drivers, NV control panel thinks im connected by HDMI. . There is nothing I can do it seems. Now my Benq XL2410T does 120hz straight off. It seems I simply cannot have anything greater than 60hz with this. I have installed the latest Samsung driver. Is this simply a limitation due to my card being Nvidia? I put the Benq back on, straight to 120hz. Why does it think Im connected with HDMI? With the Benq it shows DVI.

I received this monitor yesterday. I`m running it with an MSI GTX 580 Lightning via DVI. Forgetting about 3D, even after a clean install using the latest Nvidia drivers, NV control panel thinks im connected by HDMI. . There is nothing I can do it seems. Now my Benq XL2410T does 120hz straight off. It seems I simply cannot have anything greater than 60hz with this. I have installed the latest Samsung driver. Is this simply a limitation due to my card being Nvidia? I put the Benq back on, straight to 120hz. Why does it think Im connected with HDMI? With the Benq it shows DVI.

My 480 works perfectly @ 120Hz via DVI. Windows 7 and all games spot the native res and max refresh rate.

Only NV issues are lack of TriDef Frame sequential, and no 3D Vision support.

I connected mine via DVI to one of my GTX 260s and it shows up in the Nvidia control panel as such so it is possible for it to work with Nvidia cards.

Then i`m baffled. I have tried several dual link dvi cables, even formatted, tried an older driver etc. No matter what I do, it only sees my card connected as HDMI. Reset the monitor,
reseated the card. Even if I driver update manually, it wants to install the inf file for hdmi. I know the cards fine as it works with the Benq. Possible monitor fault?

That is very strange. Can you manually select the source as 'DVI' on the monitor itself? I haven't used this model but Samsung monitors usually have a 'setup and reset' menu if not a dedicated button to allow manual source selection.

The monitor says "digital" when i connect. Both Hdmi and display port say "no signal" so the monitor knows its DVI. I have tried setup and reset. No joy. Even in the PHYSX section of control panel it shows me what DVI port im connected to but on the connection screen it says HDMI audio enabled or disabled and thats it.

120hz works for me on 2x Nvidia cards, 480 and new 580 on DVI cable included.

Some thoughts (received screen yesterday).

- Missing 2 prong cable (had to use lead from xbox 1)
- Monitor doesn’t stand 100% vertical when flat on the desk. Has a backwards lean to it
- Touch screen buttons bit hit and miss, sometimes had to use up to cycle all the way through menu as down would seem to only work sometimes?
- Screen plugged in and on from 6pm in a bedroom next to a window. No reflection problems all evening.
- Obvious dimensions aside, it does feel a lot bigger than my 24
- Colours are stunning. They really look good and take your breath away. Animated films like Kung-Fu panda and Toystory 3 look like the stills are painting on the screen! Awesome.
- Colour pre-sets are not so good. Couldn’t find one I was happy with, dynamic contrast was the closest. Standard was very dark and muddy for me. Cinema was nice, but too bright.
- 120hz mode is very nice. Everything runs very smooth, games are snappy and feel generally faster (may be because vsync being turned off) but generally games feel fast, fluid and responsive.

3d is a joke. Screen was purchased for size, led and 120hz. 3d was an afterthought for me, but im glad I never purchased the screen with the intent being 3d play. From the few hours I messed with it last night, this is what I found.

2d-3d conversion is ok for still images, but who’s going to use that?
2d-3d conversion in games is horrendous. Refresh hurts my eyes, doesn’t really look like there’s any depth, just odd effect really. Had better 3d in 2002 on an old GeForce 4 I had.
Tridef installs from CD that comes with monitor labelled as Samsung 3d Game launcher 1.0.2 (or similar) differs to version 4 on Tridef website?
Tridef config offers 2 choices, side by side or frame sequential. Tells you Frame sequential only available on ATI cards – side by side all other cards.
Tridef side by side mode (as I have NVidia card) then scans for games on your pc and gives you a list. It found Eve online, and grand theft auto on my machine (have lots other other games it did not find like Rift, DCUO, WOW etc.).

When you launch a game from the Tridef window, it starts it with 2 screens side by side, the res looks very small. To then use the glasses with it – you have to go in to 3D mode on the screen and choose side by side. This then corrects the image back to one piece for use with the glasses.
3d effect with Tridef in EVE worked, but not by much. The image did feel like it had depth, the menus and interface on eve seemed to be out in front by you while the depth of the room / hangar in Incarna felt deep. Walking towards my ship felt like there was genuine depth to the scene.

There was significant ghosting with Tridef side by side in Eve. Grand theft auto just kept crashing on start-up so haven’t tried anything else yet.

I need to do more experimenting this week with it really. I want to read why this screen wouldn’t work with Nvidia 3d vision. I know it’s not supported, but I thought the idea was the screen had to be 120hz to display two lots of the screen at 60hz each?

So based on first impressions, im happy with the screen and will keep it – although if my intention was 3D I would be very unhappy as it stands. Also for a £600 screen, not shipping it with a power cable is actually offensive.

Last edited:
The monitor says "digital" when i connect. Both Hdmi and display port say "no signal" so the monitor knows its DVI. I have tried setup and reset. No joy. Even in the PHYSX section of control panel it shows me what DVI port im connected to but on the connection screen it says HDMI audio enabled or disabled and thats it.

Ok... So if you go to Setup & Reset is 'PC/AV mode' greyed out or are you able to select PC? What happens when you change 'Auto Source' to manual?

Just to be clear, when i installed my screen last night - the driver CD gave me a choice of 3 drivers, DVI / HDMI / Displayport.

I chose DVI. Now the monitor in windows is named S27A950D-DVI.

You didn't install the driver by letting windows scan the CD for example did you? i wonder if it's installing the HDMI driver by mistake?

Does seem odd there seems to be a choice of driver depending on connection type.

Just to be clear, when i installed my screen last night - the driver CD gave me a choice of 3 drivers, DVI / HDMI / Displayport.

I chose DVI. Now the monitor in windows is named S27A950D-DVI.

You didn't install the driver by letting windows scan the CD for example did you? i wonder if it's installing the HDMI driver by mistake?

Does seem odd there seems to be a choice of driver depending on connection type.

For the record i have not used any drivers at all for Windows. Monitor come up as plug and play IIRC, but offers native res and 120Hz.

Back
Top Bottom