** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
I have a Dell IPS monitor and 1 of these will be the perfect replacement for my faultless Samsung T240. Can't wait for them to go on sale. I can see these are going to be a big hit.

Associate
Yowch, looking pretty reflective here :(

Seriously considering cancelling my preorder now. I thought this was going to be a happy medium between glossy and matte, that looks horrendous to me. Going to cause terrible eye-strain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRbdYMSKoM&t=1m34s

Such a shame, been waiting for these for so long.

I wonder if the gloss is the same in the TV versions in the vid and the non-TV versions being sold in this thread.

Associate
Yeah, that's what I thought when I first saw that video so I thought nothing of it, but after seeing that picture it reminded me of the video.
I don't know, glossy screen always seem so bright to me, people say matte screens are a bit dull but I prefer it, much easier on my eyes anyway.
I'll wait until the reviews are in at least before I make any decisions.

Soldato
I'm sure I have mentioned this several times before on various threads, but I'm currently working on a 'matte vs glossy' article. I have actually finished most of it and it includes visual and descriptive comparisons between fully glossy anti-reflective coated monitor surfaces and light matte surfaces (such as the low haze value surface used on BenQ's new VA panel monitors). I have also done a decent amount of research into Samsung's UltraClear panel coating and apparently it isn't a standard thing. What I mean by this is that there are apparently (I say apparently as I have yet to have confirmation from a Samsung engineer or visual inspection) different degrees of this coating just as you get various haze values when considering matte surfaces. It is possible that the 'TA' versions will have a different coat to the 'SA' versions and also that the 'SA750' and 'SA950' will differ slightly in this respect. I was actually holding off the finishing touches to this article because I wanted to include example(s) of Samsung's UltraClear coating in the comparison. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yowch, looking pretty reflective here :(

Seriously considering cancelling my preorder now. I thought this was going to be a happy medium between glossy and matte, that looks horrendous to me. Going to cause terrible eye-strain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRbdYMSKoM&t=1m34s

Such a shame, been waiting for these for so long.

Wall of huge picture windows on a bright day directly in front of the monitor in that video. Of course there is going to be some glare. Even a matte screen would show signs of glare under those conditions. I bet you wouldn't even have seen through the glare on something like the Apple 27".

Associate
Wall of huge picture windows on a bright day directly in front of the monitor in that video. Of course there is going to be some glare. Even a matte screen would show signs of glare under those conditions. I bet you wouldn't even have seen through the glare on something like the Apple 27".

The slight glare you get on a matte screen is very different to the reflection you get from a glossy screen though.
Yes, with a window right in front of it, it's worse case scenario but from that picture, you can see what normal conditions will be like. Not good. Not good at all.

Associate
The slight glare you get on a matte screen is very different to the reflection you get from a glossy screen though.
Yes, with a window right in front of it, it's worse case scenario but from that picture, you can see what normal conditions will be like. Not good. Not good at all.

Normal conditions? You shouldn't have large uncovered windows behind you reflecting directly onto your screen, no matter what type of screen coating.

Associate
If 60Hz is enough for u why would u even consider these monitors?! 120Hz on PC without 3D makes for smoother gaming.
Didn't say as much, just wanted to know what actual benefits it would provide. Thanks for the info.

Might just get a U2711 after all & pick up a splitter for 5.1 from the lappy.
Speaking of which, is there a box I could get that inputs 3x 3.5 audio jacks & outputs to optical (toslink)?

Associate
Normal conditions? You shouldn't have large uncovered windows behind you reflecting directly onto your screen, no matter what type of screen coating.

What I meant was, yes, that's worse case scenario, but from that picture you can imagine what everyday conditions will be like depending on where you'll be putting the monitor.

In my room I have a window just to the left of me and if I hold my ipad up where my matte monitor is, even with the curtains shut I can see reflections that are going to bother me and give me eyestrain.
I don't know what to do now. Should I just stick with it and try it out or should I listen to my gut instinct and run a mile?
Judging by that video, it's going to be as reflective as an ipad :(

How are overclockers with returns, do they only accept things if they're faulty? Could I get this, try it out for a few days but send it back if I was getting bad eye strain?

The monitor pretty much ticks every other box for me so far.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Clippa you wont regret getting it, if it makes you feel any better i have the asus 120hz which is a glossy screen in my daughters bedroom with a large window off to the side but north facing, now she is 4 and she loves in the night garden, so her whole bedroom is bright yellow and her curtins are thin and bright yellow too, we don't have any problems with reflections, a matt monitor is so dull compared to a glossy one, the colours and images are so much more vibrant on the glossy screen.

I'd never have another matt monitor again, and like PCM2 says you can always send it back.

Associate
Thanks HNR1 :D You've allayed my fears somewhat.
I look after my nephew during the week most days and upsidaisy's singing drives me round the bend :D

Back
Top Bottom