** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Yowch, looking pretty reflective here :(

60UOH.jpg

Seriously considering cancelling my preorder now. I thought this was going to be a happy medium between glossy and matte, that looks horrendous to me. Going to cause terrible eye-strain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRbdYMSKoM&t=1m34s

Such a shame, been waiting for these for so long.

:rolleyes: That's absolutely horrendous, even if it was 'just' a TV. Glossy finishes really do need to die. Companies just need to do a better job of marketing matte coatings.

Associate
Samsung said:
Other advancements that set the Samsung 3D LED Monitor SA950 apart from other monitors are the panel backlight, which activates only when the Shutter [on the glasses] is closed. Thus optimising the 3D Experience and also saving on energy output.
I found this on the Samsung site for the 750. It reads in the context of the page like it applies to the 750 but they forgot to change the 950 out. Could someone confirm that this function applies to the 750 too?

Any idea on this? It sounds like it could help with ghosting so I'm really interested if it applies only to the 950 or is on the 750 too.

Soldato
I can confirm that this feature is present on the SA750. The reason you may see the 'SA950' listed is because the features are largely identical and they have simply copied the 'spiel' from the SA950 page and forgot to replace SA950 with SA750.

Associate
I can confirm that this feature is present on the SA750. The reason you may see the 'SA950' listed is because the features are largely identical and they have simply copied the 'spiel' from the SA950 page and forgot to replace SA950 with SA750.

I thought it was like that but wanted to make sure, cheers! :D

Soldato
PCM2 can u explain why the backlight needs to come on if the shutter is closed? And dont the shutters close alternately in which case the back light would always be on or off?

Associate
PCM2 can u explain why the backlight needs to come on if the shutter is closed? And dont the shutters close alternately in which case the back light would always be on or off?

My guess is that it only comes on when one eye shutter is completely closed and the other completely open. If the shutter takes time to transition from open to closed then that would possibly reduce ghosting since one eye wouldn't see the other eyes image when both eyes are transitioning from open to closed and closed to open. However that guess assumes a lot of things that I simply don't know so take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

Soldato
PCM2 - Any chance of reviewing that 23" for performance yet? Sorry if it has already been asked in the thread.

E.g. this generation of samsung 120hz vs old vs LG etc :)

Permabanned
:rolleyes: That's absolutely horrendous, even if it was 'just' a TV. Glossy finishes really do need to die. Companies just need to do a better job of marketing matte coatings.

You have to remember it's not pumping out an image, you are looking at a blank screen facing a window, on a glossy screen the image is sharper the colours are more vibrant and blacks actually look black. A matte monitor is a dim washed out screen in comparison. I would have thought Samsung would have done a huge amount of research before releasing their monitors.

As for tv's i prefer my 9GKuro and it faces a large south window albeit it's quite a distance, but no problems with reflections. So wether its a tv or monitor glossy i feel gives a better picture, so i hope they live.

Soldato
PCM2 - Any chance of reviewing that 23" for performance yet? Sorry if it has already been asked in the thread.

E.g. this generation of samsung 120hz vs old vs LG etc :)

I will be reviewing the Samsung monitors as and when they become available to me. I would like to review as many as possible but the SA750 and SA950 are currently unavailable for review. I have been assured that they should be available 'shortly' and hopefully this will mean a review ahead of retail availability. This would give people some time to make an informed purchasing decision before it is released. As I said I'll take them as and when they come. I am currently planning to review the Samsung C27A750 (Central Station monitor) in the very near future. This is a good indication that the 3D monitors will become available for review very soon indeed. :) I also may get one of my colleagues in the US to provide a review if for some reason they are available well in advance over there - it seems that is unlikely though.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
So HDMI doesn't have enough bandwidth for 1920x1080 at 120Hz. What happens if you try to run it at that? Will there be tearing or will it just have a limit lower than 120Hz?

It would just limit the refresh rate selectable.

Just watching this video of the SA 950 and I noticed some vents at the rear of the pedestal. Skip to 2:06 to see them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRbdYMSKoM#

I hope that's not a fan outlet.
They're cooling slats. They simply let heat escape so it doesn't build up inside the monitor. LED backlit monitors shouldn't have such a problem but almost all monitors have some sort of ventilation and it is very rarely fan driven.

Last edited:

jkb

jkb

Associate
I will be reviewing the Samsung monitors as and when they become available to me. I would like to review as many as possible but the SA750 and SA950 are currently unavailable for review. I have been assured that they should be available 'shortly' and hopefully this will mean a review ahead of retail availability. This would give people some time to make an informed purchasing decision before it is released. As I said I'll take them as and when they come. I am currently planning to review the Samsung C27A750 (Central Station monitor) in the very near future. This is a good indication that the 3D monitors will become available for review very soon indeed. :) I also may get one of my colleagues in the US to provide a review if for some reason they are available well in advance over there - it seems that is unlikely though.

Looking forward to your review before I commit myself to buying a 950

Associate
^ Only the crappy T version has been on Ebay over the last few weeks. I highly doubt he has the S version as I contacted all of the South Korean vendors and they all said they had none.

Soldato
I was going to say. As far as I'm aware only the TA750 and TA950 series have been released in the Asian market so far. The 'fotos' will probably look very similar but responsiveness should be worlds apart.

Back
Top Bottom