** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Just found this bit of info from an owner:
no ghosting that i can see of its a great monitor, as for the 3d purposes its amazing! 2d to 3d is great i would not get the T version it has ghosting when i used it i bought that first and returned it...... was crap ! grab the 27" its not as big as it looks
I'm pretty much sold on buying a S27A750D now. :D

Associate
As I understand it HDMI can't do 1080p at 120hz, hence you need either displayport or dual link DVI

Yes the hdmi tops out at 720p for 120hz.

display port can do much much more (it beats even Dual-link DVI in bandwidth)

wow thank you clippa.:D I'm just confused, why is it better to use displayport than hdmi? Also what do you mean by to get the right cable? :confused:

But you will need the Display port lead. just search for a display port lead and get the cheapest i guess. Don't believe all the "oh this can do 10gb/s! you must pay an extra £x", from my experience with hdmi cables, the cheap ones work as well as the overpriced ones, they prey on the technologically disabled.

But back to the point. what you need is:
That graphics card you posted
Displayport cable(you can get those here too, just search the cables section on the site)
750D monitor

Soldato
I was going to hold out for the 950D, but in the end I have gone for the Acer HN274H.

The native 3D vision support and the connectivity of the Acer sort of swung it.

Associate
I was going to hold out for the 950D, but in the end I have gone for the Acer HN274H.

The native 3D vision support and the connectivity of the Acer sort of swung it.

When you say native 3D vision support, how will the 3D experience be different with an NVidia card and the Samsung 950 or the Acer?

Soldato
I would be interested to hear what you think of it

So far its been fine.

Tweaked the brightness and contrast but generally the colours are spot on.

I use Lagon LCD test images to calibrate my monitors by eye, The black level test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php , I can see all 20 squares.

The white saturation test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php , i also see all the squares.

The Contrast test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php , shows all the gradients well and i get a smooth gradient banding in other tests.

A slight tint of back light bleed but nothing to worry about for such a big panel and well within the limits of every other panel i have owned.

2D and 3D is as good as my Benq XL2410T 24" if not better actually as the panel is 27"

The only concern i have at the moment which may be due to booting with the new uefi bios and an SSD , I get no picture on the display until windows loading screen. I also think some Hazro LCD's have this problem though.

I didnt get this with the Benq but it will display the bios when i enter it.

Im no expert to proffesional calibration but im really pleased with my results by eye so far.

I paid £480 for this, but it does have a built in infared transmitter and you get a pair of Nvidia specs enclosed.

Associate
Have you tried pressing the keys for your bios to interrupt it at about the right time?

These monitors do take time to switch modes, including at cold boot or when they go and suspend. I have a Dell 27" as the 2nd monitor off my graphics card, and when I wake it up with the mouse, the dell flicks on straight away, it's about 5 secs later the Acer kicks in.

I'll have to look at your calibration stuff as I've been pretty lazy on that front, just checked that my blues, reds, and greens looked like blues, reds, and greens, then set brightness per-game (since in 3D mode, the monitor brightness level is fixed @ 100% anyway).

P.s. on my 3rd charge now, so in the 130-150 hours range or thereabout of 3D goodness since I got going, no signs of letting up or calling it a fad yet.

P.p.s. if I recall, the wake up / mode switch time had something to do with it auto-detecting. If it really bothers you I believe there's an 'always on' or 'always off' option for 3D (so you have to change it manually when you do want to change it) and that would result in the initial wake-up time being quicker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen anything in 2D that i can tell so far. And ive hammered BC2 over the weekend :D

I have not really tested too much of the 3D but i will fire up the witcher 2 and a few other games up later in the week and let you know.

Soldato
Nice one topdog.

Im not over fussed about the wake up time, but will look into further if i need to, and i can get into bios and see it fine.

The only other thing i tweaked outside of the monitor osd was to drop the gamma slightly in windows calibration tool and thats what gave me good results with the tests i posted above.

Soldato
Quick question, which has probably been covered, so im sorry up front!

My 580 GTX doesnt have a display port; am i restricted on what version of these screens i need to get if i want 120hz / 3D?

Associate
Yep, I have the same card, you'll have to go for the 950 unless you want to shell out for a dual link dvi to displayport adapter which I have no experience of so I can't tell you how reliable they are.

Back
Top Bottom