** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I would not buy any G9 just now, I assume you know about the "recall" (thought nothing official from Samsung).

Yes, but if Samsung do sell it through their website next week as some have reported in this thread then we should be fairly covered if there are any issues. Anyhow not in a rush!

Soldato
Just my input have G7 32 running with a 5700xt and get flickering in game menus thought this would be Nvidia gsync issue but it's also issue with freesync

Soldato
Just my input have G7 32 running with a 5700xt and get flickering in game menus thought this would be Nvidia gsync issue but it's also issue with freesync
Its the scalers that control the freesync, Samsung has cheaped out on these. It's effecting most owners of the G7 and G9.

Am on my second one and it's going mental with the flickering. Am about ready to call it quits with samsung, shocking considering there £550.

Permabanned
I am sick of my windows all moving about esp the programs that run off screen in the Notification Area (like when you change RES then Back on CRT or use DSR to game) due to the monitor being disconnected/connected (Windows Ding) 90% of the times as a new device when it is powered on after being off (G Sync pops up asking to be set up).

The power options in the menu are buggy and most times do not even work.

Soldato
This is my 2nd one first one had White flickering lines on right side confirmed hardware fault

Maybe future firmware updates will fix the issues

Soldato
I installed 1006 which didn't fix the freesync flicker, Tried CRU as well with no luck. Not sure I wanna send this back and get a third replacement only for it to do it again. Very very tempted to send for a refund but honestly nothing comes close to this display annoyingly

Associate
I've had the 32" inch G7 for a couple of weeks now (FB02 model) and updated it to the latest Korean site firmware.

No problems that I can see with dead pixels etc. but I do still seem to get the odd flicker in wow classic (nothing major but it happens now and then).
I've not noticed in other games yet but need to try some more, as wow classic isn't exactly pushing the system it can hit very high refresh rates constantly so I wouldn't expect flicking there, but maybe it's just an issue with that game - it doesn't happen a lot and it's not severe, yet I wouldn't expect it at all other than during loading in when frames may naturally drop.

One question on display port cables for this:
I need to buy a slightly longer cable due to wanting to move to a desk mount instead, but all the display port cables I see only seem to be advertised at a max of 165hz at 2k, when DP 1.4 is supposed to be able to do 240hz at 2k.
Did manage to find one but it was a USB C / dp connection, rather than dp to dp type; not sure why this is so hard to find unless I'm missing something obvious here- any ideas?

Soldato
As a previous owner of I think 3-4 CRG9s (can't remember how many I went through now), I would definitely wait on the G9 to see users experiences with:

1. Dead pixels + Stuck pixels
2. Flickering with adapative sync on
3. HDR performance
4. Blooming and panel uniformity.
5. Cracking noises from the chassis / spark noises
6. Weird smells from the display.

They were big big issues and I thought the users who cried about it were unlucky but Samsung's QA is indeed very off.

Associate
The G9 is not g-sync compatible yet say nvidia? But will be in the next drivers, so they say in reply to my support question
How can Samsung put a G-sync sticker on the front when clearly they are NOT yet compatible?

Did the 451.85 hotfix drivers make g-sync work on the G7 do we know, nvidia seem to think it does?

Soldato
I'm not using gsync - Adaptive Sync Off / Low input lag On / Response Time: Fastest (MBR). Is there a reason why you wouldn't use this and want gsync instead? I'm using a 2080ti and no issues at all that I've noticed.

Permabanned
Hmm well I have a Nvidia GPU so with G-sync I can get rid of tearing and I am not competitive gamer so no real need for MBR which will not get rid of tearing so my answer is yes.

Permabanned
I will never enable V-Sync period even though I ain't a competitive gamer (as above) it adds lag.

G-Sync and Fast Sync and if any issues in certain games no V-Sync.

Soldato
I will never enable V-Sync period even though I ain't a competitive gamer (as above) it adds lag.

G-Sync and Fast Sync and if any issues in certain games no V-Sync.

Oh right, generally regarded as the best setting from what I've read. Can't say I've noticed any lag or certainly hasn't affected it enough for me to notice.

Associate
I have an nvidia GPU too and get zero tearing. Try the settings above, vsync on in NV control panel.
I too havent felt the need for Gsync on the G7 (did on my old 144hz monitor). I also dont use vsync though, just 240hz and fastest response time (not MBR). I do play competitive games a fair bit and haven't had any tearing thats big enough to notice, so havent felt the need for Gsync.

Permabanned
Well G-Sync primarily is/was for smoothness esp at lower FPS and big variable in lower FPS (40-60), not going to matter as much up the other end of the FPS scale.

Back
Top Bottom