New Site Feedback

OcUK Staff
OP
I manage a team of 45 user experience and creative designers, trust me it really does suck

Ahhh I feel bad for you that must be horrible. We are just 2 in our little company (6 if you include the parent company) But we also do the in house software too ..

Soldato
2.years you say? So like 6 or so years AFTER the site originally launched? Of course there was less comments, by that time people had got used to the site and most bugs were fixed. Over half of the comments here are people saying they don't like it, not bug reports, the original site had so many flaws it had to be rolled back, fixed then made live again.

The rolled back, fixed then rolled out working is what you should have done. We've recently had a new website at work, which went live when it was 100% functional as intended. You can lose a lot of business when stuff doesn't work!

Keep the mobile phone option, perhaps have either home/mobile or both? As you said, very useful for DPD notifications (and who doesn't love dpd!)

Soldato
When posting a review you are asked to "Please enter the numbers in the following text field."

BnYNL.jpg

Yet there's also letters you need to enter, to be able to submit your review.

Somebody forgot to proof-read :p

Associate
The site is a mess. Try to go for a more clean look. The previous version only needed more filters.

And, I saw that the new site came with higher prices too. The GPU I got is £40 more expensive. Getting ready for Black Friday OCUk?

Associate
Yeah I agree. Managing a team of 45 creative people must be horrible.

Anyway, what's that got to do with the site?

They are a great bunch, just need a little more leeway than your average person.

The point is I know what good design is, what the things to avoid are etc, OC are lucky in that they probably don't attract your average 'joe', but in terms of design my considered verdict is "YUCK" (Technical description)

OcUK Staff
OP
I've got a weird one. My billing address is mostly correct except it says Portsmouth, Berkshire in it. Thinking I must have made a typo (I live in Portsmouth but work in Bracknell in Berkshire) I went to edit the address but it does actually show as Hampshire in there. Clicking 'Change' to update results in a 'Saved successfully' prompt but it still lists as Berkshire. Indeed, changing it to anything else and saving the changes still leaves it saying Berkshire on the main account page. I've since discovered that changing the county on my delivery address to 'test' will change the county on both my billing and delivery addresses.

My default delivery address is set to my work address. If I choose 'Other' for a delivery address it lists my work address and two previous work addresses but I can't delete them. Annoyingly I don't get the option of my home address for delivery either. I realise I can just edit the delivery address but I'd expect to see a home address option. Should that be there? How can I delete the old addresses?

This should be fixed.

Regarding the old addresses unfortunately the system basically just uses your old orders as your address book.

I think this is something we should look at changing in the future.

Soldato
The site is a mess. Try to go for a more clean look. The previous version only needed more filters.

And, I saw that the new site came with higher prices too. The GPU I got is £40 more expensive. Getting ready for Black Friday OCUk?

I disagree strongly. The site is very good. Having used it several times now i can see things improving. Saying it is a mess is so undeserving!

Nix

Nix

Soldato
It's better than it was but it's still awful.

I repeat what I said before: this is your business OcUK. This is your chance to carve out a niche in the industry as your competitors by and large have awful websites.

Do yourself the biggest favour you can and outsource your website; get it professionally designed and made. Invest in yourself! You cannot rely on reputation alone, create a better brand!

Busy websites like your current one is tantamount to 'hate selling'. The customer journey is not a pleasurable or easy one.

Example:

A customer has never purchased from either you or your competitors before but they want to make their own computer or purchase something simple. There is no discernible difference between you or your competitors in terms of price or reputation. Your competitor however, has recently developed a very user friendly and professional website. OcUK's website by comparison, is loud, confusing and buggy.

Guess where the custom goes?

In turn a positive experience with your competitor is likely to result in further brand loyalty to them. By virtue of having a poor website, you have not only lost one sale, but potential future sales too.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's better than it was but it's still awful.

I repeat what I said before: this is your business OcUK. This is your chance to carve out a niche in the industry as your competitors by and large have awful websites.

Do yourself the biggest favour you can and outsource your website; get it professionally designed and made. Invest in yourself! You cannot rely on reputation alone, create a better brand!

Busy websites like your current one is tantamount to 'hate selling'. The customer journey is not a pleasurable or easy one.

Example:

A customer has never purchased from either you or your competitors before but they want to make their own computer or purchase something simple. There is no discernible difference between you or your competitors in terms of price or reputation. Your competitor however, has recently developed a very user friendly and professional website. OcUK's website by comparison, is loud, confusing and buggy.

Guess where the custom goes?

In turn a positive experience with your competitor is likely to result in further brand loyalty to them. By virtue of having a poor website, you have not only lost one sale, but potential future sales too.

What you have said is like trying to teach granny to suck eggs!

Associate
Site feedback: Reminds me of another well known PC parts website which is a shame as I always preferred OcUk's layout. I'm sure I will get used to it though.

Associate
I like the new upto date look of the new site , but navigating your way around feels strange , i suppose thats just because im so familiar with the old site which has been my first stop when looking for parts over the years , anyway good work chaps .

Caporegime
Still don't like it, actually prefer a few competitors sites to it now which is a shame as the old site was so much nicer and clearer to use than any of those owned by the competition.

Soldato
I never understand how some companies come up with some website ideas. Look at the Apple (eurgh!) site and it's classy, simple etc. Even Amazon's website is classier than this....pay a decent professional design agency good money to do it, it's worth it!

Soldato
Was about to make an impulse purchase but your new site doesn't recognise my Password... I got it to send a new Password and it doesn't accept that either... And now while I was trying a different Browser etc. It has blocked me completely for too many attempts... #impulsepurchaseisnowthoughtbetterof.

It also looks bloody awful and trying to navigate for a specific feature is not possible, ie: Wired/Wireless Stereo/5.1/7.1 Headsets, all you can choose is 'By manufacturer' so it's pretty useless really.

Do not like.

EDIT: I just tried it again to make sure I was *not* going completely insane and it has now worked... WTF!

Last edited:
Associate
I think much has already been said about your new website...and after a few days of trying to find my way around it, I have to agree that is too loud, hard and tiring on the eyes, not easy to navigate around, and in many cases now wastes valuable page space. (i.e. filter options are no longer simple selection from drop down lists)
Maybe for those that use touch screen devices to view, it makes more sense, but for traditional PC users, it has definitely lost its unique business like simplicity and presentation.
I can accept that the software options utilised in, and behind the workings of the old Overclockers website may have deemed it to be outdated... and the website had to be updated to more modern software options.... but!!!!
I maybe out of touch...but heaven help the digital presentation industry, if this is the future of how navigation around complex product manuals will look and feel in the future, :(
I use to use the Overclockers site as my No 1 'go to' site for PC parts info and most of my purchases, but now, its looks and ease of use are no better than a number of other sites, so that attraction has now gone. :(

Now for some specifics...
I am not impressed when one uses a products review option now.

1) No date of when a review was made... so am I looking at a recent review, or one made months, years ago?
2) In some cases, some of the carried forward reviews appear to have been clipped short.

e.g. for product https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-value-15mtr-hdmi-male-male-cable-cdlhd-315-cb-057-ok.html

Ian Jefferson
Great Value
Bought this to link up a TV upstairs to the Sky HD box downstairs. So, I can now watch HD TV in two locations. OK, so I have to go downstairs to change the channel, but for

Tony
Perfect
I needed to have a cable to reach from one side of my living room (PC) to the other side (HDTV) and this cable was perfect. I needed about 11 metres so this 15m one is a tad on the long side but allows me flexibility if I shift things around. Perfect picture, no errors or dropout. I've seen 15M cables for over

Soldato
Sorry this is my fault I modified the required fields, forget the form itself would not automatically display this, will fix tomorrow.

Hi I'm having problems with Delivery Addresses too, my last order I shipped to an alternate address as I was on hols but now I can't change it back to my home address, I just get the dreaded

"An error has occured!"

I really want to make an order but having it shipped to the other side of the country and then getting them to ship it back to me is just too much hassle...

edit: ok I got around that by re-entering my primary delivery and billing addresses again (there are at least 3 copies of them now) but when I got to payment options it spazzed out with "no payment session" or something like that and my order history shows "Awaiting processing" without actually having entered any payment details and I can't edit it... aaarrgh. I give up. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I will get used to the look of the site in time.

However, at the checking out stage I went back to change my delivery address to my work address and now my order is stuck in 'awaiting processing' and I can't find a way of paying for it.....

Help!!

Back
Top Bottom