New Site Feedback

OcUK Staff
OP
Just because you are sitting in the UK, doesn't mean that's the only place we sell to. You are upset that the date format allows EVERYONE to understand the date? Just because you don't like the format.

I personally write all dates YYYY-MM-DD, because I am a programmer and I know that any date system will recognise this format without making mistakes, but also because it avoids confusion, we are a tiny island in a MASSIVE world.

To think the world revolves around us would not make very good business sense, if it does not make good business sense, we as a UK company fail, less revenue brought in to the UK harms the UK.

Making the date in UK format just because its UK format would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Soldato
Just because you are sitting in the UK, doesn't mean that's the only place we sell to. You are upset that the date format allows EVERYONE to understand the date? Just because you don't like the format.

I personally write all dates YYYY-MM-DD, because I am a programmer and I know that any date system will recognise this format without making mistakes, but also because it avoids confusion, we are a tiny island in a MASSIVE world.

To think the world revolves around us would not make very good business sense, if it does not make good business sense, we as a UK company fail, less revenue brought in to the UK harms the UK.

Making the date in UK format just because its UK format would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Disagree as we are the 'UK'. We shouldn't have to bow to other standards. Too many things in the UK are getting changed to suit 'other' nationalities!

So, having the date the way it has always been means OcUK would lose revenue? It would look better if UK companies stood by their heritage and tradition!

OcUK Staff
OP
Disagree as we are the 'UK'

Wouldn't matter if we were the kings of the world, consideration for others should always come first or we are no better than animals.

Bow to other standards? Its the INTERNATIONAL date standard, its not bowing, no country owns or uses that standard nationally from heritage. It was made up to stop confusion.

Its not like a particular country made it up and now we all bow to it, it was a considerate joint collaboration to accommodate ALL people, instead of being selfish and only considering one set of people.

Personally I would change all dates to this, because when sorting files in this method they actually sort in the right order :D instead of having all files that are from the 1st of the month first. Just saying.

The reason is because DD/MM/YYYY can be confused with MM/DD/YYYY where the day factor is less than 13, however YYYY-MM-DD cannot be confused with anything as YYYY-DD-MM does not exist and anyone that used that would be ignored for being stupid.

Soldato
Personally I think America is stupid for making up MM/DD/YYYY in the first place, but w/e

Its nice the problem is limited to North America.

Do date formats really bother people that much?

Only time Ive ever considered date formats is for computers readability. Never considered human issues with them.

Associate
At first I didn't like it, but got used to it. My main criticism would be the amount of clickable tabs all over the place. Comparing to Amazon who I think have a great design, they have very user friendly department menus, and they sell everything. The old site was a bit outdated though so it's a good change.

Underboss
I'm a YYYY/MM/DD person as this is what most companies I have worked for in the past 10 years use.

Not the main issue with the new site though is it.

Moving on...

Back
Top Bottom