New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Meh, at least "The Girl That Made The Stars" didn't do anything particularly badly. It didn't do much well, but nothing that made me want to hop on a plane to America, waltz into the CBS production offices and enquire (in a frank-bordering-on-direct manner with a pickaxe handle ;)) what the showrunners were thinking of.

Oh hey, as well - continuity! So in the teaser for the episode "Brother" (the season 2 opener) we learn that an old African creation myth meant something for Burnham growing up. And here it is. So that's something at least.

Soldato
I get some people are up in arms over accuracy. However I see wotsit and dot as just a fun little animation. Don't expect the pure canon accuracy that some feel it should have.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I get some people are up in arms over accuracy. However I see wotsit and dot as just a fun little animation. Don't expect the pure canon accuracy that some feel it should have.

Right, yes, of course. It's fixating on "pure canon accuracy" that is the problem here, not a story being presented that completely ignores one of STD's larger plot points from the season 2 finale.

I mean, I get that you're a fan of this new Trek stuff. But that doesn't mean everyone should give it a free pass when it presents something that doesn't make a lick of sense in its own continuity! :p If it hadn't had the framing of being an educational film produced by Starfleet then that whole objection goes by the wayside. It can just sit there as an utterly pointless 'Looney Tunes' cartoon with Trekian setting.

Soldato
Right, yes, of course. It's fixating on "pure canon accuracy" that is the problem here, not a story being presented that completely ignores one of STD's larger plot points from the season 2 finale.

I mean, I get that you're a fan of this new Trek stuff. But that doesn't mean everyone should give it a free pass when it presents something that doesn't make a lick of sense in its own continuity! :p If it hadn't had the framing of being an educational film produced by Starfleet then that whole objection goes by the wayside. It can just sit there as an utterly pointless 'Looney Tunes' cartoon with Trekian setting.
Why not? Something's can just be fun without effecting canon or being bad just because sick bay didn't have windows in TOS or the registry has a letter added before it actually should.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Why not? Something's can just be fun without effecting canon or being bad just because sick bay didn't have windows in TOS or the registry has a letter added before it actually should.

Uh huh. And the whole "we will never speak of the mycellial network and spore drive again" thing? Or was it just "we will never speak of the mycellial network and spore drive again, apart from teaching young kids all about it"? :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well the Enterprise never had repair robots till Discoprise.

So they shouldn't exist either.

I'm less bothered about that*. We know full well that STD continuity is out of whack with the rest of Trek. But to be out of whack with the continuity that they just established??

Mind, they have form for it. So far two very, very different Klingon ships have been referred to as D7 class designs. And L'Rell's head changed shape radically between the first and second seasons. But when a fairly major plot point of the way season 2 shook out was 'we will never speak of this again', and then you do a show where kids are being taught the story...

* - apart from it being a gratuitous rip-off of Star Wars, of course. I'm quite bothered by that aspect ;)

Soldato
That's why season 2 was a massive improvement. The new show runner attempted to reverse and correct some of the stupid things that were introduced in season 1. Especially the Klingon appearance and the design choices of their ship. They virtually retconned their own continuity, which was not a bad thing.

I certainly didn't see the short as a teaching tool or info film. Just a fun little animation about a tardigrade and it's eggs.

Soldato
Soooooo...looking forward to S3, or still face-palming at the utter stupidity of the S2 finale? ;)

After season 2 finished, i was hoping at the end we'd carry on following Pike and his crew, they are infinitely more interesting to the point i was saying my head "take me with you! Don't leave me here with those idiots!"

The shorts have mostly been garbage with the exception of the Tribble one. I had to LOL at the ending of that one

Soldato
So I know very little about this show, I read a few bits in this thread trying to avoid spoilers. I’ve now watched the first episode, I don’t have Netflix, on Channel 4. I don’t mind the reimagined look, the Klingons are different ok nothing too jarring, nicely made. Then the First Officer Burnham, the star of the show I believe, knock out the Captain and commits mutiny. All the bridge crew are aware of this by the end of the episode. WTF. Even if she’s right any military or quasi-military organisation cannot stand for that. We’re talking death sentence (if it exists), jail time dishonourable discharge. Even if she is right and saves the day it’s booted out time, it’s a dumb plot device. Next episode she better be on the dole. Now I’m not expecting that but an otherwise decent first episode is ruined by stupid writing unless they kill everyone but Burnham and it’s her secret.

Soldato
So I know very little about this show, I read a few bits in this thread trying to avoid spoilers. I’ve now watched the first episode, I don’t have Netflix, on Channel 4. I don’t mind the reimagined look, the Klingons are different ok nothing too jarring, nicely made. Then the First Officer Burnham, the star of the show I believe, knock out the Captain and commits mutiny. All the bridge crew are aware of this by the end of the episode. WTF. Even if she’s right any military or quasi-military organisation cannot stand for that. We’re talking death sentence (if it exists), jail time dishonourable discharge. Even if she is right and saves the day it’s booted out time, it’s a dumb plot device. Next episode she better be on the dole. Now I’m not expecting that but an otherwise decent first episode is ruined by stupid writing unless they kill everyone but Burnham and it’s her secret.

Space travel, time travel, aliens and you have a problem with the judicial system? :D But stick with it, her actions do have ramifications.

It isn't the bst Trek, but i'm enjoying it. However, Lorca and Pike are awesome.

Soldato
Space travel, time travel, aliens and you have a problem with the judicial system? :D But stick with it, her actions do have ramifications.

It isn't the bst Trek, but i'm enjoying it. However, Lorca and Pike are awesome.

Internal consistency is essential to suspension of disbelief. They’re humans, they have hierarchy, they’re military, the obvious next step is discipline similar to current military discipline. If anyone can make whatever choice they like without consequence there would be no hierarchy the crew might vote on every decision or we’d have strongest lead situation. That’s plainly not what the show is giving us. So episode one unless everyone dies next episode she should be out. Paris in Voyager was only given an opportunity for redemption because they were 70 years from home and couldn’t afford to waste a resource. But a mutineer must be punished to maintain discipline. Otherwise it was a good episode.

Soldato

Burnham is a big old Mary-Sue. They've hung the whole series on an average actress and a poor character. It's the biggest flaw that affects everything else in the show, and the sloppy writing just compounds it. It looks great, but has the usual problem of thinking that flashy special effects means you can get away without caring about story or characters.

It's frustrating that after waiting a decade for a new Trek series, this **** sandwich was what we were served.

Back
Top Bottom