New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Everyone knows that except Abrams, Kurtzman, and the executives at CBS. That's why I won't be surprised to see it happen and tank right into the ground.

STD is done at the end of Series 3. Netflix bailed out. CBS threatened to sue, Netflix won at arbitration, and STD had to do two months of reshoots to finish out the series.
Where did you hear that? Is there a source or a link? I don't believe any of that for a second.

Soldato
Sorry it's speculation, but Midnight's Edge is usually pretty accurate. I probably should have posted it as speculation, rather than posting as if it had been confirmed, but it was just an off the cuff comment from me:

Soldato
So I just finished season 1 on E4.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It lacks the classic Trek episodic nature and as a consequence the plot revolves around Burnham too much but I can live with that, the plot and pacing were pretty good. The production values were great it looked really good. I liked the arcs of the season and the use of the mirror universe was good it drove the plot.
The last episode where Burnham gives a speech at Starfleet was totally cringe worthy and patronising. If any should have given a similar speech it should have been Sarek or the Admiral making reference to how we fail we can pick ourselves up. Modern writers are too preachy and the aggrandisement of Burnham really irked, she may have been pardoned but she was a mutineer. She should not have been reinstated Commnder, work your way back up I say.
Spore drive is a dumb McGuffin not changed my view on that, whilst it totally breaks canon it worked in the plot, I just wish a better plot device had been found.
I'll say it again, I really enjoyed this show but it played to loose and fast with canon. The Klingon War is never mentioned to my memory as being the verge of annihilation. The Klingons never mention it so, the Federation ever mentions it show and one assumes time line wise it can only be what 10 years before Captain Kirk on the Enterprise, he must have fought in the damn war. I think a plot more like a Korean War, stalemate with escalating behaviour that undermined the Federations values (exactly as the last episode does) would have been more plausible. Is the Federation going to just carry on as normal after that ass kicking?
Overall I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 I understand Pike is really good, as was Lorca. I can live with the Burnham centric plotting at Season 1 levels but any more might begin to grate.

In many ways this was better than Picard at least it didn't damage beloved existing characters.

Caporegime
So I just finished season 1 on E4.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It lacks the classic Trek episodic nature and as a consequence the plot revolves around Burnham too much but I can live with that, the plot and pacing were pretty good. The production values were great it looked really good. I liked the arcs of the season and the use of the mirror universe was good it drove the plot.
The last episode where Burnham gives a speech at Starfleet was totally cringe worthy and patronising. If any should have given a similar speech it should have been Sarek or the Admiral making reference to how we fail we can pick ourselves up. Modern writers are too preachy and the aggrandisement of Burnham really irked, she may have been pardoned but she was a mutineer. She should not have been reinstated Commnder, work your way back up I say.
Spore drive is a dumb McGuffin not changed my view on that, whilst it totally breaks canon it worked in the plot, I just wish a better plot device had been found.
I'll say it again, I really enjoyed this show but it played to loose and fast with canon. The Klingon War is never mentioned to my memory as being the verge of annihilation. The Klingons never mention it so, the Federation ever mentions it show and one assumes time line wise it can only be what 10 years before Captain Kirk on the Enterprise, he must have fought in the damn war. I think a plot more like a Korean War, stalemate with escalating behaviour that undermined the Federations values (exactly as the last episode does) would have been more plausible. Is the Federation going to just carry on as normal after that ass kicking?
Overall I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 I understand Pike is really good, as was Lorca. I can live with the Burnham centric plotting at Season 1 levels but any more might begin to grate.

In many ways this was better than Picard at least it didn't damage beloved existing characters.

I'd much rather have a series of Pike and Spock on the Enterprise before Kirk took over than a new season of Discovery. Loved Pike! They get very convenient with the Spore drive in S2 though and is worth watching.

On no.

More watered down star trek. Now we have 5 different series being made at the same time. This is getting worse than Star Wars and Marvel. Well maybe not Marvel but they are trying to cash in as much as possible I see. Things were always slightly worse when they had multiple projects. Voyager only got good after DS9 ended really. TNG got bad when DS9 started. Picard was a pile of steaming horse manure and I was still kind of enjoying Discovery even though Tilly and Burnham are the most annoying characters. Actually there were no good characters in series 2. The only have interesting one was Lorca, until the end of the series anyway. They should bring him back.

Last edited:
Soldato
CBS are really throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. While Anson Mount was great, he was a little vacant, once again taking a back seat to Burnham ("strong powerful woman of colour" (c) Critical Drinker). If they are simply going to put these characters into another STD/Picard with the same terrible writing, it won't be any better. It'll just be ten more episodes of identity-politics-clickbait-relationship-drama pretending to be Trek, courtesy of Kurtzman.

And it's more prequel too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why cant they just offer proper jobs to the guys behind Star Trek Continues. They did a great tos expanded series and I would love it to be official and have more of their episodes. Its faithful to the old tos too. I would rather have an old looking trek than flashy trek with meh looking actors like discovery had tho pike wasnt bad but all the rest were meh.

Back
Top Bottom