New Star Wars Rey Skywalker movies

Caporegime
Three films in the pipeline, each with a different director. Are they going to be a trilogy? If so, are they actually going to write it as a trilogy this time? Or are they going to play another game of The Exquisite Corpse?

Disney era Star Wars has been a mixture of terrible and exceptional. I'll keep an open mind until I've seen more.

Associate
I’ll probably watch this, but only when it’s released on D+, not wasting money at the cinema. After the prequels, the sequels and Disney throwing away all the lore that was built up by the extended universe I’ve lost my interest in SW. There was so many good stories that came from the EU that would have made fantastic shows or movies, the Thrawn trilogy being a great example.

Soldato
It was crappy scripts and bad story / direction that was bad with the sequels

She wasn't a bad actress, it was just written poorly, Rey started off a good character, I blame JJA and RJ

this could be good still if the right people are making it, star wars has been very hit and miss it really depends on the director / script / editing / etc

Soldato
Three films in the pipeline, each with a different director. Are they going to be a trilogy? If so, are they actually going to write it as a trilogy this time? Or are they going to play another game of The Exquisite Corpse?

Disney era Star Wars has been a mixture of terrible and exceptional. I'll keep an open mind until I've seen more.

Did you mean to post “terrible and exceptionally terrible”? I ask as I’m struggling to see what was exceptional.

Soldato
None of the films have every actually been great movies. Ep 4 was alright but everything that came after is just brand marketing to sell more merch.

The best thing to come out of Star Wars was Spaceballs.

Edit: Andor is actually pretty great, but it would be pretty great still if you swapped all the names so it had nothing to do with SW.....it's not trading on fanservice like everything else they put out

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I'm open to it tbh. It's an opportunity to "fix" a few things.

I was at the celebration event today. Really enjoyable. Saw a few stars including Filoni and Favreau.

KK had a few boos when she came out ;-p

Really lol? Would have paid to see that!!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Honestly, I thought it was the worst of the lot, and that takes some doing. But each to their own of course :)

For me I was hugely disappointed because it was so disjointed and simply because it is meant to be SW.

If it was a stand alone non SW movie I guess it's passable but imo it didn't fit at all. Some of the scenes was shot well but overall it waa a mess. Chaotic, illogical and full of missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me I was hugely disappointed because it was so disjointed and simply because it is meant to be SW.

If it was a stand alone non SW movie I guess it's passable but imo it didn't fit at all. Some of the scenes was shot well but overall it waa a mess. Chaotic and full of missed opportunities.
It was an utter mess of a film. Disjointed and chaotic as you say. The Finn side story was utterly pointless. It crapped all over star wars canon, made up loads of ridiculous things the force could now do and utterly destroyed Luke's character. I hate the film with a burning passion :p

Oh, and dropping bombs in space :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Really lol? Would have paid to see that!!

Yep. Though generally drowned out by cheers.

They showed a lot. The Acolyte looks great! (Carrie Ann moss)

The expanded universe is (in order):

Dawn of the Jedi
The Old Republic
The High Republic
Fall of the Jedi
Reign of the Empire
Age of Rebellion
The New Republic
Rise of the First Order
New Jedi Order

So that's a lot of Star Wars. Some of the trailers they showed really looked great.

Top 2 for me : Ahsoka and Acolyte

Re : Acolyte :

The Acolyte is set at the end of the High Republic era in a world of "shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers" approximately 100 years before Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999).A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

During the panels they described it as a mix between "Kill Bill and ... Frozen". The trailer they showed was high production value tbf.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
They better pray the force is with them. Cause they are going to need it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
To me, it seems like they're trying to correct course. The sequel trilogy which fans really wanted to see involved Luke rebuilding the Jedi order. While they can't do that (as we all know he failed, and then died), they can have Rey do the same thing.

I don't have high hopes for the quality of the movie(s). But who knows; maybe this is a course correction for the better?

Personally, I wish they had just left TLJ as the end of the timeline, with the effective extinction of both the Jedi and the Sith. Though I guess with all of the characters they're bringing in through the TV shows, it makes it less likely that TLJ is the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
Honestly, I'd rather have Sebastian Stan jolt awake in the first scene of a new movie and turn to R2 and say "The Force gave me a horrifying vision on what will happen if I don't rebuild the Jedi Order. It's time to get started, R2."

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I am just surprised KK has been allowed to double down and continue with these really bad performing movies. It would need a miracle to "fix" any of them. they completely cashed out on the OG and ruined the Skywalker timeline imo. She still doing the same mistakes and doesnt realise, for TFA, TLJ and ROTS the draw isnt Rey, its Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Now they are all gone you what do you have left?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have such a mixed relationship with those sequel films.

The Force Awakens: good popcorn munching and exciting to be back in the universe, but felt way too much like treading over old ground. Almost pastiche with its ‘star killer base’ plot - which is very forgettable. Quite dull on a rewatch.

The Last Jedi: I didn’t have a clue where this was going in the cinema - so I loved it. All the predictable things about Star Wars turned on its head, generally much more chaotic and hopeless feeling with the heros being unable to nudge themselves towards victory in any meaningful way. Others clearly really hated those aspects, but it felt fresh and daring to me. I also liked the dabbling in ‘the rebellion isn’t perfect’ (also explored in Rogue One and brilliantly so in Andor). Naturally, far less exciting on rewatches. Scenes / interactions with Poe, Leia and that purple haired woman fall the flattest and require a willingness to overlook them to make the best of enjoying the rest of the film.

Rise of Skywalker: decides to 180 from the Last Jedi, go back to safe, well-trodden ground and have a magguffin hunt. An enjoyable popcorn muncher but definitely the one out of the three films that suffers the most on rewatches, IMO. Too fast paced and seriously underdeveloped arcs for Poe and Finn.

All together, each film is undermined by the others. TFA is too boring and safe compared to TLJ. The chaos of TLJ is disregarded for a return to safety in ROS, rendering all its meaningfulness redundant. ROS seemed to just ‘do its own thing’ and ignore possible interesting developments from the first two films.

So yes - I would have to agree that as a whole ‘trilogy’ it was a failure. Far too disjointed and lacking unique and consistent narratives and themes. Which is sad because each film does show flickers of what could be greatness, which could have been achieved with more nuanced planning and execution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom