*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Are you people using stock kitkat 4.4.4 without any mods? I'm thinking of trying out CyanogenMod or something else... I'm stock at the moment and didn't even root my phone yet. Are there any mods to improve camera or microphone/call quality?

Soldato
Are you people using stock kitkat 4.4.4 without any mods? I'm thinking of trying out CyanogenMod or something else... I'm stock at the moment and didn't even root my phone yet. Are there any mods to improve camera or microphone/call quality?

there are a few mods that have had improvements, XDA as ever best place to look, i am still on stock unrooted, mainly for barclays apps i use for work and normal life.

Soldato
im using purity rom with the code blue kernel. works well for me. there are plenty of things on xda that will let you tweak.

have you downloaded the newest google camera app from the play store? its a standalone app, that helps with the picture quality issue.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
there are a few mods that have had improvements, XDA as ever best place to look, i am still on stock unrooted, mainly for barclays apps i use for work and normal life.
XDA is a great place to look for these mods, but there are so many mods thou... especially for nexus 5 :D
Why wouldn't the apps that you use now work on rooted device? :confused:

im using purity rom with the code blue kernel. works well for me. there are plenty of things on xda that will let you tweak.

have you downloaded the newest google camera app from the play store? its a standalone app, that helps with the picture quality issue.
Cheers, I'll check out your mods and yes I've downloaded the google camera app from the playstore. :)

Mahdi-Rom here with Franco kernel. Very happy with both.

Thanks, I'll have a look! :)

Soldato
Without a doubt!

Still loving mine. Battery life has gone back to being great possibly even better since I also switched to ART runtime instead of dalvik.

Camera is better than what a lot of people say too, just make sure you use HDR+ mode for 99% of the photos, still have yet to take a blurry photo, even in low light!

BMmA53Lh.jpg

Remove the "h" before ".jpg" for a larger version.

Here is the same photo but modified specially for the glorious 2560x1080 res. of your monitor ;)

http://i.imgur.com/XnOXX5H.jpg

Main reason for owning a nexus device though is stock android and guaranteed updates without delays.

Stop taunting me, I have not got my internet back yet :'(

I had a look at the three phones I was interested in today along with the lg g3, basically these are my thoughts:

htc one m8 - Feels and looks very nice, only concern is that I think that it may be a little tall.

nexus 5 - I love the design of it, it also has the lock button on the side which I really like, feels good in the hand and is a nice size, only thing is that I couldn't use it whilst it was on ( carphonewarehouse didn't have it on properly :( )

sony xperia z2 - I really like the look of this phone, and I like sony products a lot, only concern is that it does feel more angled than the last time that I held one (again, I couldn't play with it)

LG G3 - I was actually surprised that I liked this more than I thought I would, the screen is pretty good, and I love the knock on/off feature, although I hate the button placement

If only there was a version of the nexus 5 with 3gb ram, a snapdragon 801 and a larger battery :(

basically I think that my two front runners have changed to be the m8 and the nexus 5, just wish that I had the money to go sim free :(

also is there an app/tweak that would allow for the g3's knock on feature on other phones?

Soldato
If only there was a version of the nexus 5 with 3gb ram, a snapdragon 801 and a larger battery :(

basically I think that my two front runners have changed to be the m8 and the nexus 5, just wish that I had the money to go sim free :(

also is there an app/tweak that would allow for the g3's knock on feature on other phones?

OnePlus One?

CPU Qualcomm© Snapdragon™ 801 processor with 2.5GHz Quad-core CPUs
RAM 3 GB LP-DDR3, 1866MHz
Battery Embedded rechargeable 3100 mAh LiPo battery

5.5" screen (so bigger than N5 & HTC - might not be good for you)
its £269 not on contract (if you have an invite) or £302 if you order from aliexpress.

Last edited:
Soldato
That edited hdr picture of the lambo looks nice :D (I'm over at my friends' house)

I have looked at the oneplus one, but I've not got the money right now for a sim free phone, plus it's really difficult to get a hold of one :/

anyone used mobilephonesdirect? I saw a nice deal on a nexus 5 on there :)

Caporegime
Stop taunting me, I have not got my internet back yet :'(

I had a look at the three phones I was interested in today along with the lg g3, basically these are my thoughts:

htc one m8 - Feels and looks very nice, only concern is that I think that it may be a little tall.

nexus 5 - I love the design of it, it also has the lock button on the side which I really like, feels good in the hand and is a nice size, only thing is that I couldn't use it whilst it was on ( carphonewarehouse didn't have it on properly :( )

sony xperia z2 - I really like the look of this phone, and I like sony products a lot, only concern is that it does feel more angled than the last time that I held one (again, I couldn't play with it)

LG G3 - I was actually surprised that I liked this more than I thought I would, the screen is pretty good, and I love the knock on/off feature, although I hate the button placement

Here is one more photo for when you do get your internet back! ;)

eZvzhmE.jpg

Original:

CpRhw3J.jpg

I wouldn't worry about hardware specs any more, we have hit the point where they are pretty pointless, I still find the nexus 5 to be faster/smoother than all of the newest flagships, HTC one M8 is the only one that feels as good.

Battery life wise, you aren't going to get anything much better unless you get a note III, one plus one, m8 or gs 5 (not sure about sony's phones for battery life), also worth bearing in mind that android L is suppose to increase battery life by 40-45% iirc so the N5 should probably be getting GS 5/m8 battery life... I get 2 days from my n5 and with very little use, 3 days.

I will never consider another OEM android phone for these two reasons alone though:

- price
- updates

I'll just leave this LINK over here here :p

Yup, there are amazing photos in that thread :cool:

edit:

Also, I couldn't go any bigger than the nexus 5, annoying how the majority of companies keep increasing the size each year...

Last edited:
Soldato
the nexus 5 has the same sort of size of screen as the m8, even though it's smaller, which is quite nice, although it will have worse speakers, found a deal on the n5 which is effectively £18.99 a month, although that's after cashback

Caporegime
Yeah, the nexus 5 speaker sucks compared the m8, then again every phones speaker sucks compared to the M8 :( My main complaint with the n5 speaker is the position.

The m8 is a superb device, if I had to chose out of all the current phones except for the N5 and moto x it would be the m8, hardly any disadvantages to it except the low MP count (only important for cropping/zooming in though), reviews slate it but just go and look at user photos in the xda etc. threads, some of the photos are mind blowing good. A little too tall as well.

Oh and regarding the double tap feature of the LG g3 on other phones, being android, I am 90% certain that there is an app on the market for that... You can get pretty much all of the Samsung galaxy features such as the touchless swipe, eye tracking etc. working via apps so don't see why the LG features wouldn't be out there as well, if not by an app then via rooting/custom tweaks.

Soldato
I must admit, I've always been happy with the camera on the Nexus 5. It does take some real nice pics, especially in low light (compared to other camera phones)

Took this a while ago. Totally unedited, not in great light too.
j7N9KkO.jpg

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yup, there are amazing photos in that thread :cool:
I'm actually amazed by the quality and creativity in some of the pictures.

edit:
Also, I couldn't go any bigger than the nexus 5, annoying how the majority of companies keep increasing the size each year...
Well... you know what they say about men who always need to have everything that's the biggest out there e.g. car, smartphone, watch etc. :p

Anyway, here are some of my pictures taken not long ago, some are when I had KK 4.4.2 and others while 4.4.3.

No editing was done

91UqRFQl.jpg

pzGqn14l.jpg

MBTOfXkl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice photos there! :cool:

It's in the worst place they could possibly place it. Other than in the middle of the back of the phone, I cannot think of anywhere worse for it.

On the right side of the phone at the bottom?

:p

Well... you know what they say about men who always need to have everything that's the biggest out there e.g. car, smartphone, watch etc. :p

haha :D

Soldato
xcloak has worked for the last 2-3 updates including their other app Ping It as well as SkyGo etc as it sits on the framework between the actual app and fs, they're going to struggle to stop it, one of the major reasons that xposed is so popular on XDA etc

Back
Top Bottom