NHS=Negligent Health Service

IF you have the money...

now compared to the USA (yes first hand experience)
my grandad went for a holiday with my parents and needed a 2 day stay in hospital - no insurance as he's 86

ambulance = $1500
A+E = $3000
diagnostics (bloods + 1 CT scan) = $4500
2 day admission = $25,000!

I wonder if the average brit can afford that :cry: :cry:

Can you imagine that attitude in a country like Switzerland or wherever that has mandatory health insurance??

Itr is their fault.... don't say you will do something if your not going to do it.
we just can;t blame them because they are under the protection of the NHS, in any other health care service in the modern world you wouldn't be doing the chasing.

also if youve been to A&E it's not like they give you any contact details, what are you supposed to do ? go back to A&E and tell them you never had a phone call? they will probably laugh at you

Time to privatise, the NHS seems full od the ideology that they are doing us a favour, and it's an entirely free service we aren't already paying for, so no one has the right to make any complaints.
Yeah, because the private sector never has any of those issues. “Privatise the NHS because I can’t work a telephone.”

I’ve had treatment in the US , have you?

The US system is faster, cleaner and better.

I have family in the US. They have the best insurance policies (one works for central gov and the other is a senior vice president of a company) yet they had to pay $5k in excess costs for each birth. Their older son had popcorn lung from vaping and the bill came to $25k worth of extras the insurance didn’t cover. There’s also the issue of lifetime limits, typically $2million. Once you hit that, no insurance company will touch you; not even a corporate policy.

The NHS is a mess, but I would go as far to say that’s by design so people accept privatisation. My father in law is currently on 15 tablets a day for his heart failure. He doesn’t pay a penny. In the US, he’d pay around $1100 per month for the same medication!

Yeah, because the private sector never has any of those issues. “Privatise the NHS because I can’t work a telephone.”

Quite a lot of Claims that land on my desk are for our Clinicians Private work so we have to send the Claimants Solicitor in the right direction.
Complaints Department also have a huge amount of patients complaining about the Clinicians Private work.
A lot of people don't realise, in fact my Sister the other week, that even though they're private it is the same Clinicians unless you're in Harley Street or similar.

The NHS is a mess, but I would go as far to say that’s by design so people accept privatisation. My father in law is currently on 15 tablets a day for his heart failure. He doesn’t pay a penny. In the US, he’d pay around $1100 per month for the same medication!
What most of the public also don't realise is that the reason private healthcare is so cheap is because of the NHS.
If routine treatment develops complications...said patient would simply be bunged in the back of an NHS ambulance to be sent into an NHS hospital for emergency treatment.
If there were no NHS and emergency care had to be provided by these private companies... private insurance would be as expensive as the US.

PS: still cannot wait for the NHS to be privatised though :) 300-500% pay rise :cry:

Last edited:
The problem isn’t under funding, its the fact we have millions of people using a system they dont pay towards.
Some of this is down to the raising age people are getting to i suspect. I think the funding is a problem, the money some of them get paid is terrible for the commitment they make. I know a few nurses who left to go and do something completely different for more money, nicer hours etc.
Bit that annoys me about funding is first off they don't get enough, secondly i doubt they manage what they do have well and then what frustrates me is the silly old brexit bus about how much money the NHS were going to get/save.

I pay private healthcare insurance though as getting an appointment is a nightmare at the moment. Shouldn't have to pay so much for simple stuff like physio and doctors appointments because the NHS are struggling.

Some of this is down to the raising age people are getting to i suspect. I think the funding is a problem, the money some of them get paid is terrible for the commitment they make. I know a few nurses who left to go and do something completely different for more money, nicer hours etc.
Bit that annoys me about funding is first off they don't get enough, secondly i doubt they manage what they do have well and then what frustrates me is the silly old brexit bus about how much money the NHS were going to get/save.

I pay private healthcare insurance though as getting an appointment is a nightmare at the moment. Shouldn't have to pay so much for simple stuff like physio and doctors appointments because the NHS are struggling.

The problem isn’t old people that have paid in all their lives, its the millions of people that haven’t ever had a job, the millions that have moved into the UK.

The NHS should be only for those that have paid into the system,

The problem isn’t old people that have paid in all their lives, its the millions of people that haven’t ever had a job, the millions that have moved into the UK.

So you'd hope the millions moved into the UK are contributing and helping out the economy and those i feel should be entitled. I do think it would be right that if they've never contributed then they pay whatever the going rate is. Issues with this would arises from genuine asylum seekers who are here for safety and may not have money.
Those people who never work are split in my eyes, those who have never been able to work and those who cant be arsed. Those who cannot be arsed should get minimal care and have to wait longer than those who do pay in. My Aunty is retired now having done maybe a few weeks worth of work, just taken from the system. Goes to foodbanks and has loads of hollydays, really irks me when she suggests 'its alright for those in nice houses' Grrrrr.

My Aunty is retired now having done maybe a few weeks worth of work, just taken from the system. Goes to foodbanks and has loads of hollydays, really irks me when she suggests 'its alright for those in nice houses' Grrrrr.

If it irks you so much, I hope you tell her she should have gotten off her lazy arse and worked more if she wanted to be one of those "alright for those in a nice house" people?

If it irks you so much, I hope you tell her she should have gotten off her lazy arse and worked more if she wanted to be one of those "alright for those in a nice house" people?
I go with avoid her at all costs along with the others in her family. You can't pick family but at least I can pick to bother or not =)

What most of the public also don't realise is that the reason private healthcare is so cheap is because of the NHS.
If routine treatment develops complications...said patient would simply be bunged in the back of an NHS ambulance to be sent into an NHS hospital for emergency treatment.
If there were no NHS and emergency care had to be provided by these private companies... private insurance would be as expensive as the US.

PS: still cannot wait for the NHS to be privatised though :) 300-500% pay rise :cry:
Yup, IIRC there is no requirement for private hospitals to have any "emergency" staff in place, and many barely have a qualified doctor in place over night or on the weekend, they also IIRC don't have the equipment or supplies so if something happens you're in the back of an NHS ambulance heading to an NHS A&E where you'll be treated by NHS staff using the NHS supply of equipment and drugs.

IIRC any large hospital in the UK maintains at least one or two doses of even the most obscure medication that might be needed in an emergency. My younger brother many, many moons ago had a really bad, really rare reaction to a fairly common drug, the hospital had something like 3 sets of the "antidote" on site and it was the first time they'd had anyone in with a reaction at the dose he had been given (they very rarely saw it at the much higher dose used in one wing of the hospital).

And what about those that cannot work due to disability, or have not "paid in to the system" but have done things like raise children, do unpaid work.
By your reckoning my mother would likely have never been eligible as she only "worked" for about 3 years, but she also spent the better part of 40 years raising children, volunteering at local charities, and 25 years fostering back when most foster parents were basically only able to claim a tiny stipend* and child benefit (half the kids she fostered arrived with little more than the clothes they were wearing, and often under 5 so nappies etc had to be obtained).

*She didn't even find out about that until after she'd finished fostering and one of the social workers doing the paperwork realised she'd never had it, IIRC they backdated it for about 12 months.

Back
Top Bottom