Nikon D850

Soldato
Because it's new and shiny!

To be fair, it's probably the biggest the gap is going to be but if that's down to Nikon doing a good set of changes or Canon focusing on maximum profit for least effort I couldn't say.
Combination of the two probably canon are also a step behind, they are on the first iteration of on sensor ad conversion while nikon/Sony are into refining and improving the design!

Associate
Very interesting and nice specifications. Hopefully will generate a bit more competition between Canon and Nikon.

It is interesting to pit the D850 specs side by side against a Canon - nope, not the 5D Mark IV, but the Canon 5DS R. As the 5DS/R were released in response to the D800, it makes you wonder what Canons response to the D850 is or would be?

No doubt whatsoever that the D850 will produce some superb results in the hands of a competent photographer.

Soldato
The mass hysteria where all of a sudden the camera you've been happy with for years suddenly becomes useless.

Most people can't afford it that's why they post rubbish in these kinds of threads...

This is just the same like newer graphics cards would bring up the standard of performance and cause older graphics cards to depreciate for its second-hand re-sales value. If one doesn't have the regular income to upgrade with the pace then it's normal to feel salty.

Permabanned
Pains me to say it but another plus for the D850:-

"Negative/Positive Scanning: With the optional ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter and compatible Micro-NIKKOR lens, the camera enables super high-resolution digitizing of 35mm slides or negatives and converts them in-camera to positives"

Wish I had this on my 5DIV...

ES-2_Digitalizing_Adapter.jpeg

Associate
Pains me to say it but another plus for the D850:-

"Negative/Positive Scanning: With the optional ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter and compatible Micro-NIKKOR lens, the camera enables super high-resolution digitizing of 35mm slides or negatives and converts them in-camera to positives"

Wish I had this on my 5DIV...

ES-2_Digitalizing_Adapter.jpeg

Cheap light table, drop the negatives on it. Fit Macro Lens, put camera on tripod over the light table, fill frame with negative. Import to Lightroom, adjust light table white balance, invert colours. Voila.

Alternatively find out what Lens/Macro Lens they recommend using with that gizmo, find out what thread it has to fit it to said lens and do the same as above - take shot, import to Lightroom and invert.

Neat little thing though.

Caporegime
If anyone watched the Jared Polin video, he mentioned that in order to get 9FPS, you need the grip, the D5 battery (higher voltage), a charger, at a cost of $900. No cheap, but the option is there if you want it.
This has always been the case with nikon bodies and was made clear at the announcement.

For most people really concerned about he 9FPS there is a good chance they would own a D5 anyway so the additional cost is pretty minimal (and D5 owners would appreciate the grip). If someone i on more of a budget and wants a high speed Nikon then the D500 is unbeatable, and is a better option than the D850 for many use cases.

Caporegime
You can basically buy a used X-T2 to do 9FPS for the cost of the grip with batteries/charger.
And forfeit the image quality, metering and auto-focus capabilities.

You could also buy a Nikon V3 and do 20FPS. All depends where your priorities lie.

Associate
I've just dumped an xt-2 and all fuji stuff due to poor quality . It doesn't take to bird photography at all .I started thread in dpr and found I wasn't alone so back to nikon . Got d850 on order but still unsure as to this or d500/d810 for less money .

Caporegime
I've just dumped an xt-2 and all fuji stuff due to poor quality . It doesn't take to bird photography at all .I started thread in dpr and found I wasn't alone so back to nikon . Got d850 on order but still unsure as to this or d500/d810 for less money .

I am actually hesitant on getting a X-T2, a few things keep holding me back….after having it for about 5 months now, it is good for "snaps" but honestly, for me, it doesn't pass the grade for professional work, at least and I reiterate, for me, my standard. I set the bar a bit higher, a level that I don't think the X-T1 can hit, some of these are quirks like the 2 hand operation, to colour palette is odd, or i just can't get used to it. It's not so much it is too blue or too yellow. It swings between a green to magenta tone which I just can't get my head around. I got the X-T1 as a sign of what the Fuji system can do, try it for myself instead of reading blogs (which they ALL sing praises, being owners themselves), I realise I'll keep it to take pictures of my food or my car and irrelevant things like that but I will stick with my Canon for work.

shocking.

Check out the Sony A9. faster better AF and if you buy it grey its identical price to the d850.

Granted you lose resolution but not so much on DR as it seems the DR is a tad lower then the A7r2/D810

I have decided to take my Canon to Japan, man up and take the weight. It'll be fine. The trip will set me back £5,000 so I am loath to spend anymore money before it! May be when the A7R3 drops I will get an even cheaper A7R2 or something.

Soldato
I am actually hesitant on getting a X-T2, a few things keep holding me back….after having it for about 5 months now, it is good for "snaps" but honestly, for me, it doesn't pass the grade for professional work, at least and I reiterate, for me, my standard. I set the bar a bit higher, a level that I don't think the X-T1 can hit, some of these are quirks like the 2 hand operation, to colour palette is odd, or i just can't get used to it. It's not so much it is too blue or too yellow. It swings between a green to magenta tone which I just can't get my head around. I got the X-T1 as a sign of what the Fuji system can do, try it for myself instead of reading blogs (which they ALL sing praises, being owners themselves), I realise I'll keep it to take pictures of my food or my car and irrelevant things like that but I will stick with my Canon for work.

I have decided to take my Canon to Japan, man up and take the weight. It'll be fine. The trip will set me back £5,000 so I am loath to spend anymore money before it! May be when the A7R3 drops I will get an even cheaper A7R2 or something.
cool just take the 24-70 f2.8 mk2 lens and be done with it. nice and lightish setup

Caporegime
I don't know if it was longer lenses in particular xt2 didn't like but here is thread for reference.
www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4193099

I don't shoot anything longer than 135 so it doesn't matter. I think I've made up my mind anyway at least for the current crop of Fuji bodies, besides I would like the next body to have a flip screen, so in reality the A7R3 would be the perfect camera with it's high pixel sensor, IBIS, probably A9 AF with hopefully a touch screen and dial card slots. What more could you ask for?

Associate

The X-T2 is far superior in performance to the X-T1, and there are already many professionals using it for portraiture, weddings, travel & landscape. So, I wouldn't let your experience with the X-T1 cloud your judgement, in my opinion. However, I would agree with you that the colour palette is different ... and individual taste will determine if that's something you can live with or not.

@capdegat : the X-T2 is pretty decent at action. I've had a quick peek at your DPR thread and would say that you need to aim for higher shutter speed to avoid motion blur. Also, what OIS setting did you have the 100-400mm set at - type 1 or 2 ? That said, Nikon is still king for action / wildlife - Fuji just simply doesn't have the fast exotic telephoto lenses at this moment in time. In good light, the X-T2 is capable, but for birding in variable conditions ... stick with a D500 and a 500mm or 600mm f4. I'm sure the D850 will also be very capable for this role .... but you will need to have the expensive glass to get the most out of it.

Associate
In the dpr thread I acknowledged some motion blur- I had the camera for a week at that point. The issue was the black edging which was clearly demonstrated in the youtube video . Nothing to do with some of my crappy pics. I actually liked the pics in general , could even get on with EVF.

Back
Top Bottom