Nikon D850

Caporegime
The X-T2 is far superior in performance to the X-T1, and there are already many professionals using it for portraiture, weddings, travel & landscape. So, I wouldn't let your experience with the X-T1 cloud your judgement, in my opinion. However, I would agree with you that the colour palette is different ... and individual taste will determine if that's something you can live with or not.

@capdegat : the X-T2 is pretty decent at action. I've had a quick peek at your DPR thread and would say that you need to aim for higher shutter speed to avoid motion blur. Also, what OIS setting did you have the 100-400mm set at - type 1 or 2 ? That said, Nikon is still king for action / wildlife - Fuji just simply doesn't have the fast exotic telephoto lenses at this moment in time. In good light, the X-T2 is capable, but for birding in variable conditions ... stick with a D500 and a 500mm or 600mm f4. I'm sure the D850 will also be very capable for this role .... but you will need to have the expensive glass to get the most out of it.

The 2 things that bug me the most are the 2 things that is inherent to the camera and its design.

The 1st is the UI. Whilst I can see people love it lots, but I don't like the fact that I need to use 2 hands to change my shutter speed. Small things, it is not the end of the world, but I like it if it is a dial control if i could. Or may be I could in the X-T2?

The second is the colour palette. It definitely isn't as neutral as how my eye see things, what is off with it throws me off my game a little. I don't know whether i should tweak the Green/Magenta slider or the White Balance. I end up spending ages tweaking it, it annoys me in the processing stage. I find the Canon much easier when it comes to correction the White Balance.

The aspects that I didn't mention - such as AF, pixel count, EVF, all of which I know are better on the X-T2 but my gripes with the camera for the X-T1 will also present in the X-T2, and the X-series. It is in their DNA.

Associate
Can't say I've noticed black edging in my photos, but then I don't pixel peep to any great extent. Fuji RAF files definitely do require a different strategy when it comes to sharpening etc ... Lightroom is particularly bad for causing artifacts. I mostly use Capture One now and Iridient, but always keep sharpening to a minimum ( I switch it off if I'm using LR ) preferring to do any output sharpening in PS with Define.

Associate
The 2 things that bug me the most are the 2 things that is inherent to the camera and its design.

The 1st is the UI. Whilst I can see people love it lots, but I don't like the fact that I need to use 2 hands to change my shutter speed. Small things, it is not the end of the world, but I like it if it is a dial control if i could. Or may be I could in the X-T2?

The second is the colour palette. It definitely isn't as neutral as how my eye see things, what is off with it throws me off my game a little. I don't know whether i should tweak the Green/Magenta slider or the White Balance. I end up spending ages tweaking it, it annoys me in the processing stage. I find the Canon much easier when it comes to correction the White Balance.

The aspects that I didn't mention - such as AF, pixel count, EVF, all of which I know are better on the X-T2 but my gripes with the camera for the X-T1 will also present in the X-T2, and the X-series. It is in their DNA.

It is possible to configure the X-T2 to be operated via the forward & rear command dials rather than using the switches and mechanical dials on top of the camera. But I can accept that people accustomed to modern day Canon & Nikon DSLRs ( who perhaps never used old style film cameras for an extended period ) may find the Fuji ergonomics disconcerting. Again, I think it's just a matter of preference ; some will adjust, others will prefer an alternative control set.

I don't have much experience with Canon's white balance ... but as a Nikon shooter I don't find any major differences with Fuji's interpretation. I mostly use a custom WB for each individual shoot anyway.

Caporegime
It is possible to configure the X-T2 to be operated via the forward & rear command dials rather than using the switches and mechanical dials on top of the camera. But I can accept that people accustomed to modern day Canon & Nikon DSLRs ( who perhaps never used old style film cameras for an extended period ) may find the Fuji ergonomics disconcerting. Again, I think it's just a matter of preference ; some will adjust, others will prefer an alternative control set.

I don't have much experience with Canon's white balance ... but as a Nikon shooter I don't find any major differences with Fuji's interpretation. I mostly use a custom WB for each individual shoot anyway.

I keep thinking about getting the X-T2, but something holds me back, I think may be when it becomes cheap like £300 used I will pick one up like I did with the X-T1 but until then I might concentrate on updating/adding to my Canon gear than my Fuji gear.

Back
Top Bottom