*** Nintendo Switch ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
The worst part is the new Dev kit switch comes with 8gb of ram but only 4gb for the retail units where as the original switch came with 6gb for the Dev kits so they've clearly upped it for some reason

I believe thats to help developers get an early handle on games they are trying to port. The Switch for better or worse has become somewhat of a port machine and things like Doom, The Witcher etc are probably a right bugger to port effectively so giving them that extra RAM to play with means they can get something running far earlier in the development cycle before they have to worry about optimisation so much.

Soldato
So I should be good to sell my switch since with my nintendo multiplayer sub thing, everything is backed to cloud and I can simply sign in using my details on the new switch when I receive it and everything should "sync up" so to speak?

Probably not an issue if you're buying a new one soonish and your subscription is still active but just an FYI Nintendo only keep your cloud saves for 6 months after your subscription ends.

Soldato
It looks good but it is t going to be mainstream like a switch. Too expensive and is never going to be picked up by the likes of Tesco etc.

GPD and others have been making these for years, LTT does a video on them every time there is a new one.

Does anyone know if Super Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out for the Switch? There are plenty of results on Google saying that it was coming out in April 2021 which is obviously falsehood. Google even had the cheek of showing a result for Argos - "results for super mario galaxy 2 - argos" but clicking on it doesn't show that game in the results.

It's the Pro Switch falsehoods all over again.

Soldato
Does anyone know if Super Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out for the Switch? There are plenty of results on Google saying that it was coming out in April 2021 which is obviously falsehood. Google even had the cheek of showing a result for Argos - "results for super mario galaxy 2 - argos" but clicking on it doesn't show that game in the results.

It's the Pro Switch falsehoods all over again.

Nintendo have never said it is so anything else is just BS until the day that they do.

Associate
I personally don't think we see a Switch Pro now the Switch OLED is looking like the refresh for the next 2 to 3 years before the Switch replacement comes along, and by then it will be very much needed as I can see 3rd party games completely drying up on the Switch.

For the next Switch or whatever Nintendo decide to do, they need to ditch Nvidia & go AMD for it's RNDA Architecture, will it happen probably not. :/

Soldato
Why would they go X86? ARM is a much better architecture for for the switch, just look at what Apple can squeeze out of their CPU architecture, GPU use Nvidia or AMD is take it or leave it, they are both decent and offer similar features, if anything Nvidia is preferable because of DLSS 2.0 would make the experience better.

Man of Honour
For the next Switch or whatever Nintendo decide to do, they need to ditch Nvidia & go AMD for it's RNDA Architecture, will it happen probably not. :/

That's a very bad idea, it would ruin any backwards compatibility and AMD are very far behind for the DLSS features that are so important on a future portable device.

Associate
There is no guarantee that Nintendo will make the Switch replacement backward compatible with the current Switch, don't forget Nintendo do their own thing.
It could also be possible that Nintendo could ditch the cartridge for its next gen replacement making games digital only, I've got a good few games that are digital only on the Switch as it's more convenient than swapping carts all of the time.

If Nintendo switched to X86 then 3rd party devs would have a much more easier time converting games for Nintendo's next gen console, rather than having to rebuild a game to run on ARM, the Switch was basically chucked together using the Tegra X1 which was outdated back in 2017, because Nintendo didn't think it would sell that many Switches, after the poor sales of the Wii U.

Nintendo’s next gen console has to think 3rd party and as good as ARM is, "I currently have a M1 Macbook Pro and love it" but both the PS5 & Xbox Series S/X are built on X86 hardware, and as the Valve Deck has shown you can now get something as powerful as a PS4 in a handheld on x86 Architecture, In next 2 to 3 years it wouldn't surprise me that these kind of APU's are hitting close to 3 Teraflops while being very power efficient.

Also if they where to stick with Nvidia which they probably will, then it will have to be a custom APU built from the ground up just for Nintendo's next gen console.

The current Nvidia APU's aren’t designed for gaming more for the car market, and this itself will cost Nintendo a lot more as Nvidia don't do things on the cheap, than say switching to AMD which will more likely have a decent of the shelf APU, that Nintendo could use that could run at 4K or even 8K upscaled & use AMD's equivalent to DLSS which will improve over time, & could be just as good DLSS in the next 2 to 3 years.

But at the end of the day whichever way Nintendo goes I'll still buy the next gen console on day 1.

Man of Honour
the Switch was basically chucked together using the Tegra X1 which was outdated back in 2017, because Nintendo didn't think it would sell that many Switches, after the poor sales of the Wii U.

No, this has always been their modus operandi for all handhelds, and home consoles after the Gamecube. They go for technology that’s cheap and outdated every time.

Soldato
I think it’s a bit disingenuous to say the PS5 and the Xobox use an off the shelf APU, they most certainly aren’t. They are both custom chips to MS and Sony’s specification for their exclusive use. They are similar, but they aren’t the same.

Recompiling games to run on ARM generally isn’t particularly ‘difficult’ in the grand scheme of game development. There are much more awkward things do deal with like the proper integration with the console it’s self (inputs etc) and Nintendo’s software/OS. That wouldn’t matter which CPU architecture they are having to deal with.

Arm paired with a decent GPU just makes so much more sense for a handheld console, what ever way you look at it, X86 just doesn’t cut the mustard for power efficiency.

The reason Valve HAVE to go X86 is because they are not running a bespoke platform like Xbox, PS5 or Switch. Very few game devs are going to release ports of their game for a niche product like that meaning Valve need to get existing libraries to run on it. That means it’s running Linux with a windows compatibility layer to get games to work. It’s a bit of a ‘hacky’ way to get them to run but it does the job.

Let’s be realistic though, most games are going to have controls optimised for mouse and keyboard and text optimised for computer monitors. It’s a great little product but it’s always going to be niche and not the best experience unless they sell millions and devs support it properly.

Soldato
After having no games I wanted, there is now a glut, pre-ordered Metroid, and Tony Hawk has just arrived, Zelda and Mario Golf will follow.
Seriously impressed with TH, and very disappointed with my lack of muscle memory for it :D

Soldato
I was so close to buying a Switch Lite with Animal Crossing and Zelda Breath of the Wild this afternoon. I still really want it, but my sensible side says I could use that money on something more productive.

Back
Top Bottom