*** Nintendo Switch ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
Man, splatoon 2 is my new favourite game. The online is just fantastic. I love the fact that its a really simple game of territory and killing people is kinda all part and parcel rather than the whole point. Even when you have a really bad game its still super fun. I'm used to the motion controls now and its so intuitive and fun to play like this. Need to explore more of the game and upgrades/weapons now I am level 4.

Associate
Took delivery of a Switch on Saturday with Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8. First time with Nintendo gaming and the console will be used as a family device, so three users.

I have a couple of questions which id be grateful for advice on and sorry for their basic level, gaming isn’t our thing!

1. On Splatoon single player is there a way to return to your last position in the game when you restart the game. I’ve been playing Splatoon and then my daughter has a go on MK8. When I re-start Splatoon, I’m back at the beginning, not where I left off. What am I doing wrong?
  2. When I play MK8 with my daughter – two player race, we always have trouble allocating the controllers to each person. Both controllers show up for player 1 but nothing for player 2. I have to re-sync one of the controllers to overcome this, even though both controllers are visible (for player 1) and respond to presses.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Not sure about issue two really but are you turning on the console with the controller connected as one rather than two joycons?

With splatoon what do you mean by "back at the beginning"? Is all your progress gone or are you just back in the square with all the shops?

PayDay Lover
Associate
Took delivery of a Switch on Saturday with Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8. First time with Nintendo gaming and the console will be used as a family device, so three users.

I have a couple of questions which id be grateful for advice on and sorry for their basic level, gaming isn’t our thing!

1. On Splatoon single player is there a way to return to your last position in the game when you restart the game. I’ve been playing Splatoon and then my daughter has a go on MK8. When I re-start Splatoon, I’m back at the beginning, not where I left off. What am I doing wrong?
  2. When I play MK8 with my daughter – two player race, we always have trouble allocating the controllers to each person. Both controllers show up for player 1 but nothing for player 2. I have to re-sync one of the controllers to overcome this, even though both controllers are visible (for player 1) and respond to presses.

Regarding the controls. When I played Mariokart with friends, before actually going into MK, I went to Settings in the Home screen and set up Controller configuration - that allowed me to set up the 2 Joy Con pairs into 4 separate controllers. By setting up like that, when I started MK it seem to know what we were doing. (interestingly, when I then later played Zelda, I did not have to go back into Home settings to fiddle with control config)

Associate
Not sure about issue two really but are you turning on the console with the controller connected as one rather than two joycons?
Ah, i think the console might have been turned on with the controllers docked either side, then removed before we selected the game. Do we need to turn on with the controllers undocked? We eventually get the controllers going by re-pairing but its a faff and they then proceed to work fine, but we are having to do it each time we play. Sounds like user error!

With splatoon what do you mean by "back at the beginning"? Is all your progress gone or are you just back in the square with all the shops?
Yes, I get taken back to the square with all the shops. I then have to start again from scratch - no saved progress that i can locate and load. I should point out that I'm sure I've seen the game stating position saved, but when we swap to MK8 I'm told all data will be lost. I stupidly thought that the currrent position in the game had been automatically saved. If it matters, i currently dont have a memory card in the console.

Man of Honour
I finally got my switch back from repair. I now get full WiFi signal even though the router is a floor below me and 2 rooms across.

Also my joy cons now work from 7 meters away (ran out of space to test further) and with 6 of them connected.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ah, i think the console might have been turned on with the controllers docked either side, then removed before we selected the game. Do we need to turn on with the controllers undocked? We eventually get the controllers going by re-pairing but its a faff and they then proceed to work fine, but we are having to do it each time we play. Sounds like user error!

In theory it should probably spit the controllers when you pull them out of the holder but it might be assuming you want to use them as a single controller just disconnected from the controller dock thing. I assume you are hitting this issue when you go into 2 player mode?

Yes, I get taken back to the square with all the shops. I then have to start again from scratch - no saved progress that i can locate and load. I should point out that I'm sure I've seen the game stating position saved, but when we swap to MK8 I'm told all data will be lost. I stupidly thought that the currrent position in the game had been automatically saved. If it matters, i currently dont have a memory card in the console.

So it probably is saving your progress but there isn't a "save file" as such. If you were doing the single player story you just have to go back in via the portal you used in the first place (the grill that you stand over and press LZ) or you can press X which brings up the list of "areas" you can warp to such as shops, lobby etc and there is an item in there called octo canyon. Thats your single player. Once in there you should be able to do the same (press X) and choose which single player area you want to go to and which grate you want to appear out of in that area.

I would be surprised if it hasn't saved your progress. All that message usually means is that your progress since the system last auto-saved will be lost. Games with auto-save tend to save regularly.

p.s. The Switch has 32gb memory I think internally so you don't need to worry about memory cards.

Soldato
It does save your progress so far as each gateway found is remembered. So in area one you get levels 1-3 once you've found them they don't go away. This starting area is your means to other areas, too. It also remembers the special items found within each level. If you are 'in' a level there are checkpoints I assume for that session. If you exited or closed the software without completing the level I think it would boot you back to the main area.

Last edited:
Associate
In theory it should probably spit the controllers when you pull them out of the holder but it might be assuming you want to use them as a single controller just disconnected from the controller dock thing. I assume you are hitting this issue when you go into 2 player mode?

Yes. My daughter wants to play again tonight so i will undock the controllers, switch on and see what happens.

It does save your progress so far as each gateway found is remembered. So in area one you get levels 1-3 once you've found them they don't go away.

It looks like im not completing far enough into the game then, but i could have sworn it stated that the game was saved. No matter what i do when i restart, i always get taken to the square and have to start again. When i head for the 'woman' with the umbrella and follow her through the grid, i just start afresh and not where i stopped playing.

What consitutes a level? I worked my way around and transferred to different areas by dropping through grids. I thought id travelled across three but obviously not if these are levels.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It looks like im not completing far enough into the game then, but i could have sworn it stated that the game was saved. No matter what i do when i restart, i always get taken to the square and have to start again. When i head for the 'woman' with the umbrella and follow her through the grid, i just start afresh and not where i stopped playing.

So you go to the grate and follow the woman through and she starts with her long speech about joining her special team? If she isn't doing that every time then you are not starting from square one.

The way it works is as follows:

1. You follow the umbrella woman into the grate and you are taken to the 1st area of the single player. This always happens even if you are 80% through the single player campaign as far as I know.
2. Press X when you are in that area and you will see a map with sectors. Press A on one of those sectors and you will see various points on the map. These are the various portals you have uncovered by shooting ink at them when they were 'invisible'. Press A on one of those and you will travel to it.

The other way is:

1. When you are in the square with all the shops, press X. Go to the 'octo canyon' menu item and press A. that will take you to the same place as following the woman with the umbrella.
2. Follow step 2 above.

What consitutes a level? I worked my way around and transferred to different areas by dropping through grids. I thought id travelled across three but
obviously not if these are levels.

I would be amazed if you were starting again from scratch. The single player is split into sectors. Each sector has a load of hidden portals you shoot to activate. When you go inside those portals there are checkpoints within the level. These checkpoints will be lost if you quit but the whole level shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes max. When you have cleared all portals in a sector the boss kettle is activated and you can go fight a boss. Kill the boss and the next sector is available.

Literally the only thing not saved is checkpoints within a level (when you go into one of the portals). If you shoot a hidden portal to reveal and activate it, the game saves that and you can warp to that point. You don't need to have completed the level within the portal.

I think you are getting confused because the SP always takes you to the start of the SP maps when you start it up again. Does that make sense?

Associate
I finally got my switch back from repair. I now get full WiFi signal even though the router is a floor below me and 2 rooms across.

Also my joy cons now work from 7 meters away (ran out of space to test further) and with 6 of them connected.

i need to send mine back, joy con really poor.

easy to deal with?

Man of Honour
@Dredd Call them instead of emailing them. From what I am told you'll get nowhere with email but over the phone they're extremely helpful.

Email was fine for me. I never had more than a 2 hour delay in their responses and they had the emails to look up when testing the issues I had rather than relying on hoping the person on the phone took detailed notes.

I will say that if you are having left joy con issues then you most likely have the Wifi/bluetooth module issue too as Switches without that issue don't tend to show left joy con issues on the non-repaired units. I had to send in my Switch after Nintendo repaired the joy cons as it was the internal wireless comms module that was causing the issue.

Back
Top Bottom