*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
What are you looking for in a character? If you're after the best character in the game then only Chrom is better than young link as you are already playing as one of the best.

I've just hit 2.8 million GPS with Simon, but it's weird as each day it gets easier to have more points despite me not improving as the system is broken.

The number represents how many people you are currently better than, and the new players constantly trying out online play makes it easier to have a higher score each day.

That's a good question and I guess I don't really know! I think I should unlock them all first and have a play around with them. I liked Link due to a Mike of range and melee, love using the bombs and finishing them with a combo off of that.

Soldato
Try Simon.
I'm quite enjoying Richter! Lost a few times but then rose back up by a fair bit, then got beat again :D.

I gather he's more about keeping enemies at a bit of a distance which I quite like, just need to time his throws etc a bit better, especially the axe he throws up in an arch. Quite like him. Did the classic mode with him too, ended on 7.6 intensity which is the highest yet for me.

I dint really like spirit mode, much prefer Classic with some of the unique bosses etc

Soldato
been grinding like mad on octopath tonight, gonna start chapter 2 soon for each char :)

really liking the build quality on the switch pro controller and the battery seems to be never ending on it.

Man of Honour
I'm quite enjoying Richter! Lost a few times but then rose back up by a fair bit, then got beat again :D.

I gather he's more about keeping enemies at a bit of a distance which I quite like, just need to time his throws etc a bit better, especially the axe he throws up in an arch. Quite like him. Did the classic mode with him too, ended on 7.6 intensity which is the highest yet for me.

I dint really like spirit mode, much prefer Classic with some of the unique bosses etc

He's a bit broken against the ai as it doesn't seem to know how to deal with his whip.

Soldato
Kreeeee and all.

Is there a basic guide online which I can read through that explains all the terms and execution of moves such as tilts, short hops etc etc etc.?

Looked at a few youtube guides some of which I couldn't really follow.

I know this game is nowhere near as complex mechanics wise compared to some others - nonetheless I am an amateur at beatemups at best.

Man of Honour
Kreeeee and all.

Is there a basic guide online which I can read through that explains all the terms and execution of moves such as tilts, short hops etc etc etc.?

Looked at a few youtube guides some of which I couldn't really follow.

I know this game is nowhere near as complex mechanics wise compared to some others - nonetheless I am an amateur at beatemups at best.

Not really as new techniques are being discovered daily.

The very basics such as tilts and short hops are covered in the intro video and the tips in the game itself, and you don't need any more than that to get into Elite smash online. Think of it like in Street Fighter where doing things such as 1 frame links, frame traps and true vortices are not needed to get far in the game.

Who's your character? Do you want me to show you the ropes in an online lobby?

The best advice I can give you is to never ever use smash moves when you're starting off. It's the equivalent of just spamming dragon punches in Street Fighter.

Man of Honour
Either in the intro video or the loading tips it tells you about hops, I can't remember where exactly. There's nothing complicated about them, they're just a shorter jump done by pressing the jump button for a shorter period of time (I think it's 3 or fewer frames).

If you go into controls (which you have to do to switch the right stick to tilts instead of smashes and turn off up to jump) you can see there is an option for short hop attacks using the attack+jump buttons together.

The shortcut isn't great though as you can only do rising short hop aerials with it and not falling/fast falling ones.

Man of Honour
I think I need to get a better understanding of such mechanics too. :D

You need to get the hang of the basics first.

For me that would be:
- What are your safe moves? (jabs, tilts, aerials landing behind the opponent)
- What can you punish with? (throw, tilts, n.air)
- Movement and approach in neutral play (dashing back/forward, jumping around and being unpredictable)
- Getting back after being knocked up/off the level (neutral/directional air dodge, fast fall, double jump, up.b)
- Killing opponents in the air/off the level (all aerials, particularly n.air and d.air off the level, the others when opponent is above you)

Once you know those you can play to quite a high level.

True combos are the very last thing to learn, with advanced movement being just before that.

Edit: added examples.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I need to get a better understanding of such mechanics too. :D

Yup person above is bang on.

I think the best thing to learn to master is:

1. Using your shield and options out of shield. You can be like 80% of people with just knowing this, how to edge guard, as a lot of people don't know how to do it.
2. If you pick a character than can do it, someone who can off stage destroy someone is very useful; this includes people with multiple jumps like inkling, and people with spikes, like mario
3. Learn to short hop and short hop neutral air. It basically just gives you another attack on the ground against bigger targets, is really nice for edge guarding.
4. Pick one character and master him
5. when you jump, at the peak of ur jump press down, it makes them fall way quicker, gives you a lot more options going back to ground, and gives the illusion you are faster than you are; making heavier characters like ganondorf scary.

I play around with Ganondorf, Bowser and if I need to get serious Inkling/Yoshi.

Gandondorf/Bowser suck compared to the top characters but they are brilliant to learn the game with because you have a much bigger margin for error due to their weight, and they don't rely on combos. Specifically Ganondorf basically has no complex combos, its more "I hit you for 20% then move away". You can also kill people at like 60% with his forward smash which isn't hard to pull off if you can predict someones moves. And what i love best about him is his netural forward air is a KILL MOVE!!! at low percentages like 80-90%.

Also if you can master Ganondorf's mobility, then everyone else feels like a dream in comparison.

Soldato
You need to get the hang of the basics first.

For me that would be:
- What are your safe moves? (jabs, tilts, aerials landing behind the opponent)
- What can you punish with? (throw, tilts, n.air)
- Movement and approach in neutral play (dashing back/forward, jumping around and being unpredictable)
- Getting back after being knocked up/off the level (neutral/directional air dodge, fast fall, double jump, up.b)
- Killing opponents in the air/off the level (all aerials, particularly n.air and d.air off the level, the others when opponent is above you)

Once you know those you can play to quite a high level.

True combos are the very last thing to learn, with advanced movement being just before that.

Edit: added examples.

Yup person above is bang on.

I think the best thing to learn to master is:

1. Using your shield and options out of shield. You can be like 80% of people with just knowing this, how to edge guard, as a lot of people don't know how to do it.
2. If you pick a character than can do it, someone who can off stage destroy someone is very useful; this includes people with multiple jumps like inkling, and people with spikes, like mario
3. Learn to short hop and short hop neutral air. It basically just gives you another attack on the ground against bigger targets, is really nice for edge guarding.
4. Pick one character and master him
5. when you jump, at the peak of ur jump press down, it makes them fall way quicker, gives you a lot more options going back to ground, and gives the illusion you are faster than you are; making heavier characters like ganondorf scary.

I play around with Ganondorf, Bowser and if I need to get serious Inkling/Yoshi.

Gandondorf/Bowser suck compared to the top characters but they are brilliant to learn the game with because you have a much bigger margin for error due to their weight, and they don't rely on combos. Specifically Ganondorf basically has no complex combos, its more "I hit you for 20% then move away". You can also kill people at like 60% with his forward smash which isn't hard to pull off if you can predict someones moves. And what i love best about him is his netural forward air is a KILL MOVE!!! at low percentages like 80-90%.

Also if you can master Ganondorf's mobility, then everyone else feels like a dream in comparison.

Appreciate the tips guys, I will give it some thought when next playing.

Where would you recommend practising? Online, Classic mode, training?

I feel I'm getting better but need to understand some of the terms mentioned above too :D this may take a while

Man of Honour
Appreciate the tips guys, I will give it some thought when next playing.

Where would you recommend practising? Online, Classic mode, training?

I feel I'm getting better but need to understand some of the terms mentioned above too :D this may take a while

Play real people offline until you are ready to move onto more complex stuff in training. Online as a last resort if you don't have any friends (or have young kids...) :p

The computers are nothing like playing real people as they are either far too easy or they cheat by reading your inputs.

Just play real people a lot and watch how they avoid your hits/punish you. Then start using what they did to you against others and see how the opponents react.

This is nothing like Street Fighter where there are cookie cutter combos and standard ways to play each character, Smash is a far more dynamic game.

Back
Top Bottom