*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Play real people offline until you are ready to move onto more complex stuff in training. Online as a last resort if you don't have any friends (or have young kids...) :p

The computers are nothing like playing real people as they are either far too easy or they cheat by reading your inputs.

Just play real people a lot and watch how they avoid your hits/punish you. Then start using what they did to you against others and see how the opponents react.

This is nothing like Street Fighter where there are cookie cutter combos and standard ways to play each character, Smash is a far more dynamic game.

My memories of playing Melee growing up have me pegged as an absolute master. I could beat all of my mates, often in 1v3 using a character of their choice. I could beat Level 9 CPUs without much bother. I genuinely thought I was great at the game.

First time I played Ultimate, I realised I was rusty. Then I watched some videos of Smash tournaments. Turns out I was never any good. I was just better at the absolute basics than anyone I knew, and had subconsciously found a way to exploit the CPU players.

Training solely offline is maybe not the best idea...

Man of Honour
My memories of playing Melee growing up have me pegged as an absolute master. I could beat all of my mates, often in 1v3 using a character of their choice. I could beat Level 9 CPUs without much bother. I genuinely thought I was great at the game.

First time I played Ultimate, I realised I was rusty. Then I watched some videos of Smash tournaments. Turns out I was never any good. I was just better at the absolute basics than anyone I knew, and had subconsciously found a way to exploit the CPU players.

Training solely offline is maybe not the best idea...

That's always the way. I remember Mario Kart DS on these forums. So many people thought they were gods at the game because they could beat their mates and then realised that they didn't even know what snaking was, let alone be able to do it.

This was also my introduction to Smash Bros online :p

Soldato
Just spotted the these are now on sale to 10/01:
Mario Kart
Octopath
Splatoon 2
Splatoon 2 Expansion
Splatoon 2 + Expansion
Rocket League
1-2-Switch
Snipper Clips
Arms

Most are 30-33% off, Rocket League is 50%.

Man of Honour
Another great evening battling Kreeeee on Smash bros :) - who else is up for some fights? :D

I even beat Kreeee!!

...once

They were some really fun games, and the connection was absolutely perfect. Other OcUKers should get in on the action!

It was a lot more fun when I stopped playing Simon though, eh?

Associate
Just spotted the these are now on sale to 10/01:
Mario Kart
Octopath
Splatoon 2
Splatoon 2 Expansion
Splatoon 2 + Expansion
Rocket League
1-2-Switch
Snipper Clips
Arms

Most are 30-33% off, Rocket League is 50%.
Tempted to buy either Arms or Splatoon, any feedback on either to sway me ?

Man of Honour
TBH I am figuring out your routines. I'll get you as Simon eventually ;)

Only if we play those poxy tiny levels!

Tempted to buy either Arms or Splatoon, any feedback on either to sway me ?

I have over 500 hours playtime on Splatoon 2... I don't think I need to say anymore. Don't buy ARMS, it's a dead game especially now Smash is out.

Soldato
Folks, is it my imagination or was is there a feature or mode in SSBU where it would display the input that you just made and describe the input in question? I thought I saw this in training mode but for the life of me I cant find it but couldve swore I have seen this before?
I friggin found it!

Go into controls and into your control profile and at the bottom there is "TEST".
You can try out moves and it will give you the description of each!

Damn I genuinely thought I was losing my mind!

Soldato
I friggin found it!

Go into controls and into your control profile and at the bottom there is "TEST".
You can try out moves and it will give you the description of each!

Damn I genuinely thought I was losing my mind!

Mate... this "test" option doesn't exist.. are you alright?

:D

I was wondering about this after you mentioned it, will take a look ;)

Soldato
Mate... this "test" option doesn't exist.. are you alright?

:D

I was wondering about this after you mentioned it, will take a look ;)

Don't do that :D

On another note, Ive read all the entries, watched the videos, watched some youtube videos, jumped into online, got my ass handed to me 3 times.

You would have thought having some basic beatemup background from SF4 and 5 I would do at least reasonably well! (And yes I realise its a different game altogether).

So this begs the question. I know the theory, the problem I have is the context of using a lot of the moves, eg. short hops, how to maximise their use and when to use.... etc etc....

Bugger :\

Man of Honour

On another note, Ive read all the entries, watched the videos, watched some youtube videos, jumped into online, got my ass handed to me 3 times.

You would have thought having some basic beatemup background from SF4 and 5 I would do at least reasonably well! (And yes I realise its a different game altogether).

So this begs the question. I know the theory, the problem I have is the context of using a lot of the moves, eg. short hops, how to maximise their use and when to use.... etc etc....

You are trying to run before you can walk. Just set your right stick to tilts and never do any smashes, and then just play people and copy what you see them doing to you.

Forget all the theory and techniques, they come much later.

My offer is still there to show you the ropes online but I guess you missed that part of my previous post. You also still haven't told me who you play as so I can't give you specific tips and gameplans.

Caporegime

You will get used to getting battered online. There are people who played Smash 4 a ridiculous amount which the game is based on. So they have ahuge head start to you.

I'd take Kreee up on his offer. He is a good teacher :) - I feel like I have improved dramatically, even if I still lose a lot :D

Back
Top Bottom