*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Anyone got any opinions on the Fatal Frame series on the Switch as I noticed that they are on sale. I’m not great with horror games but from the impressions I’ve read it’s jump scares rather than graphic gore?

Associate
Anyone got any opinions on the Fatal Frame series on the Switch as I noticed that they are on sale. I’m not great with horror games but from the impressions I’ve read it’s jump scares rather than graphic gore?
Yep, it's ghost jump scares the game. They're all pretty much the same game of slow spooky stroll through haunted remote area of Japan. The camera combat is always fairly similar too. Someone more into the series might say different but I'd just play the latest one if you're curious.

Associate
Yep, it's ghost jump scares the game. They're all pretty much the same game of slow spooky stroll through haunted remote area of Japan. The camera combat is always fairly similar too. Someone more into the series might say different but I'd just play the latest one if you're curious.
Thank you is the latest one Maiden of Black Water or Mask of The Lunar Eclipse as that only just came out?

Associate
Thank you is the latest one Maiden of Black Water or Mask of The Lunar Eclipse as that only just came out?
Funny one as Lunar Eclipse just came out this year on modern platforms but was originally a Wii game. Black Water was a newer Wii U game but was ported in 2021.

Soldato
Can someone confirm something for me with the switch pro controller?

Can you turn on the console with just the controller? (Switch with joycons connected and docked)

I currently am using a 8bitdo controller while playing TOTK but I have to have the joycons fitted to the controller thingy and power on using them so I can go to the controller settings and change order then pair the Bluetooth controller. While not a massive chore, I would prefer to be able to just use a controller to power on and play rather than having to go through that process.

From what I can tell it’s is a feature with the pro controller but just wanted to confirm.

Edit: I have just seen that the new 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller does wake up from the controller. It also has Hall effect sticks but not the hd rumble. Can currently be had for £39 with the dock.

Might go for that.

Last edited:
Associate
Can someone confirm something for me with the switch pro controller?

Can you turn on the console with just the controller? (Switch with joycons connected and docked)

I currently am using a 8bitdo controller while playing TOTK but I have to have the joycons fitted to the controller thingy and power on using them so I can go to the controller settings and change order then pair the Bluetooth controller. While not a massive chore, I would prefer to be able to just use a controller to power on and play rather than having to go through that process.

From what I can tell it’s is a feature with the pro controller but just wanted to confirm.

Edit: I have just seen that the new 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller does wake up from the controller. It also has Hall effect sticks but not the hd rumble. Can currently be had for £39 with the dock.

Might go for that.
Yes. You hold the home button down for around 2 seconds.

Soldato
Cheers. Been looking into it and the 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth gets great reviews and does the same. I also like that I can have the wireless dongle plugged into the pc and can just use the switch on the back of the controller to switch between the pc and switch. I also like the custom stuff you can do with the software.

Was looking at it and was just going to buy at £38.51 but when I refreshed it had gone up to £44. Still cheaper than the Switch Pro but will keep and eye out and see if it goes back down.

Associate
Cheers. Been looking into it and the 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth gets great reviews and does the same. I also like that I can have the wireless dongle plugged into the pc and can just use the switch on the back of the controller to switch between the pc and switch. I also like the custom stuff you can do with the software.

Was looking at it and was just going to buy at £38.51 but when I refreshed it had gone up to £44. Still cheaper than the Switch Pro but will keep and eye out and see if it goes back down.
I couldn't live without my Switch Pro Controller - it's one of the best out there irrespective of platform. And yes, pressing the home button does switch the console on.

Soldato
Dev kits for the new Nintendo console have now been sent out to 1st party developers. New console to launch in 1 year

Last edited:
Soldato
Dev kits for the new Nintendo console have now been sent out to 1st party developers. New console to launch in 1 year

Where does the 1 year bit come from?

Looking back at the Switch/NX, the first 'solid' rumours about dev kits being sent out were about 18 months prior to launch, which would put a new console at Christmas 2024 if they follow a similar timeline.

Soldato
Just to update, I ended up buying the 8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth/Wireless controller and its pretty fantastic. I set it up yesterday and it works flawlessly so far. I can power on the Switch using the controller, the build quality is great, the buttons and the thumbsticks feel really nice and the back buttons feel in a nice position. The software that comes with it can be used on pc or ios/android so you can customise it with/without a pc, set up macros, alter button assignments and alter sensitivity. You can also save 3 profiles to the controller which can be changed on the fly from the profile button on the controller. The drop on charging dock is nice and i love the inclusion of the status light bar (Makes it look pretty classy when on charge) along with the compartment for the Wireless dongle.

I will be using it in my entertainment/gaming setup which has my Switch and my Emulation PC setup so i can have the wireless dongle plugged into the PC and use BT on the Switch and change between them using the switch on the back of the controller.

A pretty good alternative to the official Switch Pro controller in my opinion, 1/3 cheaper and a load more features/functions still with great build quality. Highly recommended from me for now..

Man of Honour
It's high time for a new console. Playing their flagship Zelda with frame dips ain't gonna cut it.

Anyway apparently it will have LCD screen to save on costs.

Yeah new games are simply not being released on Switch as its not capable of playing them, as much as I love my OLED it is time for an upgraded system from Nintendo - I actually think the much rumoured "Pro" was planned at one point but likely canned due to the chip shortage in the last couple of years, these new rumours about an entirely new console are likely true at this point as we know even Nintendo have been hinting at new hardware for next year now.

I just hope it retains some kind of backward compatability if possible, although in fairness I'm unlikely to sell the Switch OLED for a Switch 2 as I imagine the value will plummet when a new one is released!

Soldato
Pretty sure it will be BC though with Nintendo you never know and ofc it won’t be a seamless transition like other digital libraries. Just a question of when and for that I will wait for them to announce. Q4 2024 or Q1 2025 (Switch released in March 2017) seem likely. But again, you never know with them. Q1 2024 would be exactly 7 years so not out of the question.

Last edited:
Associate
They usually add something to the experience like the waggle on Wii to the second screen on Wii U then fully hybrid handheld Switch (with optional waggle!). Curious to see what they try this time if anything at all.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I can't wait for their next console. Then we might get another ******* mainline Mario game, MarioKart and if we are really good boys we might even see Metroid 4 at some point in the next 5 years.

Soldato
I can't wait for their next console. Then we might get another ******* mainline Mario game, MarioKart and if we are really good boys we might even see Metroid 4 at some point in the next 5 years.
Can they really top smash ultimate? Metroid 4 will be probably be a cross release.

Back
Top Bottom