No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Space games are my favourite games. I adore them.
And the endless systems is amazing!

But that doesn't really matter. The game will need to hold my attention to start with. And finding planets and animals to claim them just seems pointless and boring.

I'm hoping there will be a lot more meat to the game.

It'll be popular for about a month with streamers screaming/whaling/hysterically laughing at stupid little things that otherwise warrants a chuckle at the best of times.

After that, it will die down almost over night with the release of another title.

Same ****, different day.

I think your right about most of the streamers and youtubers. I don't think the game is aimed at them.

The same could be said of other space games.

I think the test will be if it can hold the people who are in to those games.

I've heard there are NPC's around and quests etc.

I'm looking forward to this game as much on a technical side of things.

It sounds like the chance of you happening across them randomly is pretty slim.

Which does sort of beg the question....whats the point of being able to give stuff names if nobody is likely to find them. I'm still SO on the fence about this title, on the one hand it looks and sounds great, on the other hand I have serious concerns about how much of a "game" there is to it.

On the one hand it looks and sounds great, on the other hand I have serious concerns about how much of a "game" there is to it.

Sums my feelings up, it looks like a cool concept but not sure where the actual fun and gameplay will come from. I genuinely want to be proven wrong but having read/watched the recent previews I think it could actually be a game with pretty limited appeal (although I am sure some will adore it).

And so, this unsureness of whether the game will actually be able to entertain players for hundreds of hours reminds us of one thing: don't pre-order. Just wait for reviews and critique, even if the game looks good. I'll be honest, I was alsmot interested in the PS4 version due to PSVR, but I hear the PSVR doesn't truly VR existing non-VR games. Which is a shame. Might have looked amazing there. The system specs makes sense considering this game is to also release on console. Quesiton is... how well optimised will it be on PC?

I'm with many others - sounds and looks great but I don't understand how it is going to hold my attention.

What's the point in naming planets and creatures when nobody will find them and there's no function to doing so other than saying "oh hey I named something in a virtual world!"?

Which of the three big new space games (Elite, SC NMS) will in the long-run end up being the best game?

Any opinions?

If they pull it off, Star Citizen without a shadow of a doubt. That's not hating on Elite or No Man's Sky - but the depth that Star Citizen has planned, and the hype train that it's been riding on for a good long while will probably result in it lasting longer in my opinion.

I'm with many others - sounds and looks great but I don't understand how it is going to hold my attention.

What's the point in naming planets and creatures when nobody will find them and there's no function to doing so other than saying "oh hey I named something in a virtual world!"?

Yeah, and arriving at planet cockmuncher or ilovemassivejugs isn't going to anything for immersion.

It's just going to look silly.

If they pull it off, Star Citizen without a shadow of a doubt. That's not hating on Elite or No Man's Sky - but the depth that Star Citizen has planned, and the hype train that it's been riding on for a good long while will probably result in it lasting longer in my opinion.

Yeah, that's my gut instinct so far, but I'm really interested in what others have to say.

Which does sort of beg the question....whats the point of being able to give stuff names if nobody is likely to find them. I'm still SO on the fence about this title, on the one hand it looks and sounds great, on the other hand I have serious concerns about how much of a "game" there is to it.
The game certainly wont be to everyone's taste, I expect it to be quite niche. But if you're the kind of person who gets immersed in exploration, then there's nothing else on this scale as far as I know. Just imagine playing this game for a couple of years, just wandering the universe and then happening across a planet someone else has inhabited! You could smash it all up and disappear back into space! :D

Anyone know if we all start at the same place? I imagine some kind of hub building around the start area and then everyone going their own way.

The game certainly wont be to everyone's taste, I expect it to be quite niche. But if you're the kind of person who gets immersed in exploration, then there's nothing else on this scale as far as I know. Just imagine playing this game for a couple of years, just wandering the universe and then happening across a planet someone else has inhabited! You could smash it all up and disappear back into space! :D

When you say inhabited, can you build things on the planets then? I was under the impression that you could just explore them and name stuff and you couldnt make any more of a mark on a planet than that?

Actually I'm not sure. That might just be wishful thinking on my part.

I havent heard anything about being able to build things on planets, I know you can harvest resources from planets, use them to craft into goods and sell the goods on an auction house sort of thing but I dont think you can craft things to leave permanently on planets, think its all just non-visual "goods", nothing another player (or even yourself) can see

Back
Top Bottom