• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I may get a 4090 or Titan, they may be poor cards but still better than anything else available.:D

I really dislike my 3090 and 3090Ti but they are still very capable cards.

I was looking at my Titan V the other day and it is tiny compared to the Turing and Ampere cards yet the old Volta card has a bigger die than either of the newer cards.

Or putting it another way it is possible to have a huge Die, low power draw and good cooling in a normal sized card.
This may be "by design".

Or rather does anyone remember Leather Jacket Man doing an O'Leary imitation and moaning how his prices were rising. In this case that wafer prices were rising faster than transistor density?

So rather than going for big dies and running them slow but wide, they are going for smaller dies and running them fast but narrow.

Against that: GA102 was near the rectile limit, and 4090 may still be huge.

I may get a 4090 or Titan, they may be poor cards but still better than anything else available.:D

I really dislike my 3090 and 3090Ti but they are still very capable cards.

I was looking at my Titan V the other day and it is tiny compared to the Turing and Ampere cards yet the old Volta card has a bigger die than either of the newer cards.

Or putting it another way it is possible to have a huge Die, low power draw and good cooling in a normal sized card.

Is this guy taking the p..... Dislike about what?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Kaapstad likes to troll, he buys expensive GPUs knowing exactly what he's getting and then says they are ****.

He'll even go as far to say he uses the card for work but doesn't want to buy a Quadro that's made for work, buy a 4090 and then complain about it

Guys knock it off .. :rolleyes:

stay-on-topic-driving.gif

Latest comments from Nvidia suggest that if RTX4000 does launch this year it will be right at the end of the year, otherwise it will launch next year.

For now, Nvidia says their focus is selling their oversupplied inventory over the next 2 or 3 months

Is this guy taking the p..... Dislike about what?
Don't think so.

If NVidia can not make a top end GPU that is no larger than 2 slots and uses less than 300W they are doing something very wrong and they are the ones taking the p.

I don't like the idea of squeezing a GPU that is larger than a brick into my PC case.

Latest comments from Nvidia suggest that if RTX4000 does launch this year it will be right at the end of the year, otherwise it will launch next year.

For now, Nvidia says their focus is selling their oversupplied inventory over the next 2 or 3 months

No rush anyway. Not like there are any new demanding must play games on the horizon.

Kaapstad likes to troll, he buys expensive GPUs knowing exactly what he's getting and then says they are ****.

He'll even go as far to say he uses the card for work but doesn't want to buy a Quadro that's made for work, buy a 4090 and then complain about it

You got that all wrong again.

I use GPUs solely for gaming, I have never used them for professional work, mining or folding.

I don't have a problem with expensive GPUs, just the badly designed ones.

My favourite GPU ever is the Titan V which is also the most expensive one I have bought.

The reason I like the Titan V is,

2 slot design.
less than 300W power usage.
Decent cooler (not too big).
Multiple uses, gaming, professional, mining and even Ray Tracing.

This despite the fact it uses a die bigger than found on a 3090Ti.

The Titan V is a fantastic example of how to make a very powerful GPU the right way.

Even if someone is a NVidia fan they should be prepared to criticise the company when they make poor products.

That means they will also drag their feet with the discounts.
Their financial report shows that they intend to keep their profit margins high so it does appear so on the midrange to lower end cards. "GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 62.4% and 65.0%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points"

We have more details on the excess supply, "The $1.22 billion charge for inventory and related reserves is based on revised expectations of future demand, primarily relating to Data Center and Gaming. The charge consists of approximately $570 million for inventory on hand and approximately $650 million for inventory purchase obligations in excess of our current demand projections, and cancellation and underutilization penalties...Inventory was $3.89 billion compared with $2.11 billion a year ago and $3.16 billion a quarter ago. Outstanding gross inventory purchase and long-term supply obligations were $9.22 billion, up from $4.79 billion a year ago due to longer lead-times throughout the supply chain, and down from $9.59 billion a quarter ago. Prepaid supply agreements were $3.14 billion, up from $3.06 billion a quarter ago."

With the huge increase of energy coming in October, who is still going to grab one of these power hungry cards?

I think they dialled back on the power requirements after seeing how far they can push them. With the jack up in energy costs they will have adjusted to that hence why figures are looking much better than compared to a couple of months ago.

At over the MSRP!

i just can't justify paying almost £800 for an 3080, the 3070 is about right but not there yet.

Nvidia if you want your stock gone how about actually making GPU's a reasonable price for 2 year old tech, no one is going to want to buy when the new GPU's are just round the corner and offering 25-30% better performance with 4070 probably sitting between £600 - £699 when a 3080 is £800 but less performance. Nvidia we're hoping for miners to be here and the ETH POS happening in September (hopefully), you'll have more stock of the 3000's series you have to laugh:D.

My speculation if the ETH POS happens on the 15-16 September there will be a massive sell off of 3000 GPU's on the used market, this will drive down the price and hopefully we can buy a 3080TI for about £500 to £550.

No rush anyway. Not like there are any new demanding must play games on the horizon.
Exactly. Starfield is nine months away, and even it's looking a bit ropey.
And next-gen Skyrim, Fallout, Tomb Raider, etc. look to be at least 2-3 years away.

Reactions: TNA
The power demands of GPU's needs to be regulated, we have gone from 6 pin power to 3 x 8 pin power demands, along with PSU power demands to match.

Lets face it to get to the point of using the power of a kettle + to game is way over the top. Every one has gone L.E.D lighting at home to save power, yet GPU's are getting worse in power demands.

Its all about being the fastest with no regard to power use, in fact a whole very high end system water cooled with overclocked CPU + GPU can suck more power than a kettle
and if the whole system is built for gaming then expect higher power bill's to go with it. If its built for bragging wrights and surfing posting bench marks thats a shame. I dont game
enough to warrant the expense and power use any more myself. With my own interests going towards more efficiency even in computer use.

Everything electrical sold today comes with a power rating AAA+++ being the most efficient but GPU's never carry this. 3 slot cards with heatsinks like a brick seems to be the norm now, along with a high price tag.
Its about time the industry changed towards more power efficient GPU's so they are more affordable to buy and run in the future.

Back
Top Bottom