• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
it doesn't seem to take much to rock it out of position even when its supposedly plugged in properly.
So the MSI cable is pretty pointless if it can come loose after you've plugged it in, unless you're looking at it everyday to make sure it's all the way in but then it doesn't solve any problem if you're having to check it constantly

Caporegime
So the MSI cable is pretty pointless if it can come loose after you've plugged it in, unless you're looking at it everyday to make sure it's all the way in but then it doesn't solve any problem if you're having to check it constantly

The connector itself is just *****, the repair guy reckons its badly designed and would need more clips on it to lock it into position which I think is mentioned in that video or the one previous where he talks about gamers nexus and jays videos.

Last edited:
Soldato

Why would a cable move by itself, these burning cables be in earthquakes yo

Last edited:
Associate
It seems crazy to be anyone can defend the obvious bad design of the cable. How many different styles of cable exist in the world and how many of them can cause a fire if they're slightly out of place? It's not a matter of whether people are idiots or not, even Einstein can accidently knock something without realising, and that shouldn't risk burning your house down.

There's so few of those cables on the market now just go back to the drawing board and start again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are circular connections with a threaded ring not used? Yes the cable would be chunky but it's a solid locking mechanism.

Reminds me of a certain old school psu that used circular connectors with a locking ring that was modular. Can't remember the name of them though, a few members on here used them back in the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reminds me of a certain old school psu that used circular connectors with a locking ring that was modular. Can't remember the name of them though, a few members on here used them back in the day.

Hiper Type R or something like that. Used to have one of those back in the day.

My guess for why we don't see such connectors anymore is both cost and space constraints (more than likely heavily weighted to the former).

That said I am unsure why the 12pin connector couldn't have been physically larger, thus allowing for a stronger retention clip / more obvious "its connected properly" feel.

My 4070FE has the little adaptor thing which I am using and beyond a very subtle "click" it didn't really give any sort of feedback that it is connected. Easy enough to visually check (at least with the FE cards given the connector is very visible) but arguably not something that should even be a thing in the first place.

Soldato

My guess for why we don't see such connectors anymore is both cost and space constraints (more than likely heavily weighted to the former).

That said I am unsure why the 12pin connector couldn't have been physically larger, thus allowing for a stronger retention clip / more obvious "its connected properly" feel.

My 4070FE has the little adaptor thing which I am using and beyond a very subtle "click" it didn't really give any sort of feedback that it is connected. Easy enough to visually check (at least with the FE cards given the connector is very visible) but arguably not something that should even be a thing in the first place.

Thats the one! Remembering the younger me really wanting one back in the day, with the LED lighting just looked awesome.

Yeah i don't think anyone can argue that the connector could have been done better, its like the made it in a rush last minute to accommodate the design of the 4000 series. I do wonder if nvidia made this choice last minute and before they probably had a 3x8pin connector but decided to go with this tiny 12vhpwr with sense pins to save room. Even making it out of metal instead of plastic would have been a better idea.

Last edited:
Associate
I also had one that used the same mechanism - a 'KingWin' Mach 1 if I remember correctly....I thought it was great until it failed and was spraying visible lightning all over my case, although somehow my abit IP35 PRO, q6600 and Radeon 5850 survived :) (disclaimer - not my pic!)

Last edited:
Associate
I'd rather the industry put their heads together and standardised doing all power through the board like this. So much cleaner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would a cable move by itself, these burning cables be in earthquakes yo

The way it's designed you just need to plug on the cable a bit when the connection is seated to unseat it partially at the sides as its only has a single central clip. This could easily happen when people are pulling their cables in all sorts of tight angles and turns to cable manage.
A single wider clip or two clips and each would would secure it better.

Why are circular connections with a threaded ring not used? Yes the cable would be chunky but it's a solid locking mechanism.
I suppose something like a BNC connector or F connector could work but assume they aren't use a opted for a plug style connector for ease of use and less bulk.

Associate

This was the part that got me, I just tried out one and despite having all the current information on the problems I was never confident it was properly locked in place beyond squinting to see if it was flush and hoping for the best. There's no tactile feedback, you can't hear it either and it's actually quite hard to fully insert even with the card outside of a machine.

It's really not hard to see why so many people got into trouble before these problems were well known, what an awful design.

Back
Top Bottom