• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

People keep forgetting the scalpers will be in full force and that's going to be the main problem if supplies are in short supply, we have yet to see how the supply will be and if it is not keeping up with demand then expect scalpers to be out to rip you off.
I’m sure the retailers will have loads of cards, at least a few dozen and won’t be sold out for at least 2-3 minutes!

No official announcement date yet. However, the new atx 3.0 PSUs are starting to emerge with a few more released in September no doubt to coincide with the 4xxx launch. So would probably put my money on a September announcement with October release.
These ATX 3.0 PSUs are probably our best guide as to when we'll see the GPUs. Once these start shipping to retailers in earnest, we'll know the GPUs are about a month (or less) away. No way anyone is running the 4090 without an ATX 3.0. Judging by what Gamers Nexus found out with the power excursions in the 3090 Ti.

MSI's MEG Ai1300P PCIE5 is the world's first, but my money is on be quiet and a Dark Power Pro version of ATX 3.0 to be second :D
Also didn't realise that ALPM is replacing ASM in 3.0 - ATX 3.0 explained (and manufacturers could actually ship >450W "ATX 3.0 ready" PSUs without PCIe 5.0 connectors)

Anyone got any retail contacts that know when these beefy PSUs are shipping?

These ATX 3.0 PSUs are probably our best guide as to when we'll see the GPUs. Once these start shipping to retailers in earnest, we'll know the GPUs are about a month (or less) away. No way anyone is running the 4090 without an ATX 3.0. Judging by what Gamers Nexus found out with the power excursions in the 3090 Ti.

MSI's MEG Ai1300P PCIE5 is the world's first, but my money is on be quiet and a Dark Power Pro version of ATX 3.0 to be second :D
Also didn't realise that ALPM is replacing ASM in 3.0 - ATX 3.0 explained (and manufacturers could actually ship >450W "ATX 3.0 ready" PSUs without PCIe 5.0 connectors)

Anyone got any retail contacts that know when these beefy PSUs are shipping?
I’m a regular user of the Asus Facebook DIY site and I asked Jose the Asus technical marketing rep who said the new atx 3.0 Loki would be end of q3. So should be end of September.

US government has banned Nvidia from selling its top graphics cards to China and Russia, AMD also can't sell. Intel wasn't mentioned, presumably their graphics cards are too weak to worry about or can't be sold because they don't exist.

At risk is $400 million in annual revenue for Nvidia and AMD. Both companies share price is expected to get hit as a result.

The reason for the ban is that both countries are using these graphics cards for their military

The power demands of GPU's needs to be regulated, we have gone from 6 pin power to 3 x 8 pin power demands, along with PSU power demands to match.

Lets face it to get to the point of using the power of a kettle + to game is way over the top. Every one has gone L.E.D lighting at home to save power, yet GPU's are getting worse in power demands.

Its all about being the fastest with no regard to power use, in fact a whole very high end system water cooled with overclocked CPU + GPU can suck more power than a kettle
and if the whole system is built for gaming then expect higher power bill's to go with it. If its built for bragging wrights and surfing posting bench marks thats a shame. I dont game
enough to warrant the expense and power use any more myself. With my own interests going towards more efficiency even in computer use.

Everything electrical sold today comes with a power rating AAA+++ being the most efficient but GPU's never carry this. 3 slot cards with heatsinks like a brick seems to be the norm now, along with a high price tag.
Its about time the industry changed towards more power efficient GPU's so they are more affordable to buy and run in the future.

Talking out of your backside a little, huh?

anonymous photo sharing

Idle power draw has improved the last few generations.

Performance per watt has dramatically improved… 3070 beating the 2080ti in performance while drawing 15% less power.

A 15% ppw boost in one generation is good in my book. And isn’t it like half the price 2080ti was?

So your market segment already exists, why are you complaining about the top tier cards that are out of budget?

But its not all about miners, you build a high end system, you spend a lot of money and time over clocking the CPU to get a stable over clock. its water cooled with the rads and fans cooling it. GPU could well be at idle while surfing but you don't reduce your stable 24/7 over clock to surf, makes no sense to keep going into the bios to do so.
a big PSU to power it all when you do game, even if only an hour a day and the rest of the time reading forums or driver update's. I had this system, some times i never gamed for days even weeks. 5950X overclocked, 3090 dual 480 rads, push and pull fans a great system but power efficient it was not.

Today a Mac mini 6 core, dual thunderbolt drives on one TB chip with EGPu on the other, one TB drive with win 11 the other OSX Monterey. DVI out for surfing, EGPu for gaming in windows. when surfing DVI out efficient little mac mini EGPu switched off. When doing video editing i will
switch on my Mac pro. 16 core 96g ram perfect, also with windows in bootcamp again i can game if i want via that. but mostly its for my work with video. surfing its Mac mini DVI out. power use efficient for what i am doing at that time.

Its not even about hardware cost, as we know Apple charge a lot, its about being efficient and not wasting power just because you can afford it. my children and my gran children will pick up the cost after most of us are dead in the environment they have to live with.

Ohhhhh, you’re a co2 cult member… now I see.

So you bought a second PC to use less power and emit less CO2ssss that does exactly the same job? Lol

What about the material mining, production, transport, etc? That put out much much more co2zzz than using an extra few hundred watts from your previous system.

Do you walk to the shop for your groceries or drive?

US government has banned Nvidia from selling its top graphics cards to China and Russia, AMD also can't sell. Intel wasn't mentioned, presumably their graphics cards are too weak to worry about or can't be sold because they don't exist.

At risk is $400 million in annual revenue for Nvidia and AMD. Both companies share price is expected to get hit as a result.

The reason for the ban is that both countries are using these graphics cards for their military
Already has hit the stock pricing.

Question is how will Nvidia react to us consumers.

If their reserve stock levels increase, you could hope they’re going to price things more favourably in order to shift it.

Although with Jensen you never know, could ramp down production and keep supply short to make the per unit profit look good for the shareholders :/

Yeah, hope thats

Good to know and hope that's the case. I'm interested in the 4080 the most, they'll probably drop the 4080Ti next year but if the difference is like between 3080 and 3080Ti, then I can safely dismiss it.

That's assuming it'll be possible to even get a 4000 series GPU at MSRP, fingers crossed.
Rumour is they’re shifting tiers again, the 4080 will have the same tier chip as the 3070, so the jump from 4080 - 4080ti - 4090 - 4090ti will be more like the difference between 3070 - 3070ti - 3080 - 3090

Already has hit the stock pricing.

Question is how will Nvidia react to us consumers.

If their reserve stock levels increase, you could hope they’re going to price things more favourably in order to shift it.

Although with Jensen you never know, could ramp down production and keep supply short to make the per unit profit look good for the shareholders :/
They've been banned from selling the A100 and H100 GPUs, not consumer cards. Could well see demand for consumer cards go up signifiantly.

They've been banned from selling the A100 and H100 GPUs, not consumer cards. Could well see demand for consumer cards go up signifiantly.

And AMD is banned from selling its MI cards like MI250.

Apparently China has been using GPUs like this to power its AI software that it use for facial recognition, surveillance of its citizens etc and its believed they also use it for military applications

Back
Top Bottom