• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

*Or anything with equivalent or greater compute power*

So future consumer GPUs could well be hit by this. They may well produce lower powered parts for the Chinese market I guess…

Ah that's massive news - I didn't know they used the H100 to set a power limit. That effectively puts a ceiling on how much GPU power can be sold to China and its capped at todays top server GPU - that means that unless China's domestic manufacturing catches up, in 5 years from now the average gaming GPU is going to be faster than what China can use for its domestic systems and military

Ah that's massive news - I didn't know they used the H100 to set a power limit. That effectively puts a ceiling on how much GPU power can be sold to China and its capped at todays top server GPU - that means that unless China's domestic manufacturing catches up, in 5 years from now the average gaming GPU is going to be faster than what China can use for its domestic systems and military

Yeah, the text is here - https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1045810/000104581022000146/nvda-20220826.htm

Relevant wording (I think) - "The license requirement also includes any future NVIDIA integrated circuit achieving both peak performance and chip-to-chip I/O performance equal to or greater than thresholds that are roughly equivalent to the A100, as well as any system that includes those circuits."

There are probably ways to work around it, and they may grant 'licenses' I guess, but it looks like it places a cap on performance, rather than specific models.

Yeah but those western nations aren't our enemies
Your enemy surely! The rest of the World manage to get on with most other countries without constantly invading or attacking them.
Their phones are pretty good and any alternatives and competition to the US cartel like duopoly would be a good thing. Weren't the NSA or some US intelligence agency
found to be routinely filming and recording conversations from phones in the Wikileaks docs. I guess it's OK for the 'good' people to do blanket surveillance of civilians.

Lol, I've been pondering my upgrade options but somehow forgot I'm on a 750W PSU so I guess no 4000 series for me:p Even a 3080 will have problems because of the transient spikes and I've read quite a few people were getting reboots on my PSU (EVGA G3).

I can sell my 2070S and get a 3070 as a cheap upgrade to squeeze that extra bit of power I need at 1440p at similar TDP and then go all out with an ATX3.0 PSU and 4080 or whatever sometime in 2023. Either that or just ride it out on the 2070S. Itching for some kind of upgrade though.

Lol, I've been pondering my upgrade options but somehow forgot I'm on a 750W PSU so I guess no 4000 series for me:p Even a 3080 will have problems because of the transient spikes and I've read quite a few people were getting reboots on my PSU (EVGA G3).

I can sell my 2070S and get a 3070 as a cheap upgrade to squeeze that extra bit of power I need at 1440p at similar TDP and then go all out with an ATX3.0 PSU and 4080 or whatever sometime in 2023. Either that or just ride it out on the 2070S. Itching for some kind of upgrade though.

I'll be amazed if you have issues with a 3080 on a 750w psu, especially an evga g3. @MissChief is running his 3080 just fine on a corsair 650w iirc?

If I were you I would skip this gen and then buy a PSU when ypou know what the requirements will be for 5000 series. A 3070 will be fine at 1440p for a couple of years.

I'll be amazed if you have issues with a 3080 on a 750w psu, especially an evga g3. @MissChief is running his 3080 just fine on a corsair 650w iirc?

I was equally surprised when I read about people having problems on the EVGA forums, especially when, as you say, some people run these cads on 650W, and my G3 is basically a Superflower IIRC.
Have no idea what's up, either the OCP on these is weird or people were trying to run the cards off a single cable with a splitter or something.

Either way, 4000 series will most likely be a problem:p

Could be a rail issue? Everyone sticking all the components including the gpu on one rail? Or has that issue changed in recent years?
I was under the impression that single-rail PSU's could soak up the spikes better since OCP limits would be for the entire PSU's rated power.

I would expect multi-rail systems to have lower tripping points as the power gets split amongst the rails.

My evga 750w unit handled a 3080 gaming no problem with a 2nd 3080 pulling an additional 230w while mining.

It's a 650W Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w. No issues.
SF are fantastic I've got a 5+ year old 750w going strong still which is going into a "bits and bobs" system when I upgrade
I think the fact its so easy to keep stuff clean (good going with a mini air duster) is helping people get more out of their stuff, on top of the build quality going up
Seen some really dirty machines (not mine!) - one had a spider living in it :D

SF are fantastic I've got a 5+ year old 750w going strong still which is going into a "bits and bobs" system when I upgrade
I think the fact its so easy to keep stuff clean (good going with a mini air duster) is helping people get more out of their stuff, on top of the build quality going up
Seen some really dirty machines (not mine!) - one had a spider living in it :D
I have an 850w leadex platinum and its powered my 3090 without complaint

3000 series were kept well under wraps before the official Nvidia event which launched them.
with how global shipping is these days a couple of weeks between announcement and in stores isn't going to happen.
And if it's all "under wraps" but people like OCUK and its competitors were arranging stock orders etc then it would leak like a sieve. (not OCUK of course I'm sure they are very professional )

This worries me cause i can see it being a "paper launch" with cards being stuck on a slow boat from Tawain and the only people having them being the usual Youtubers for some time.

Back
Top Bottom