• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

How many GPUs can you fit in a cargo 747?
A 747-400 LCF has a cargo capacity of 113,400 Kg. An RTX 3080 weighs about 1.35Kg, so a reasonable estimate for the 3090 is 1.5KG (plus packaging).

Based on weight, the 747-400 LCF can carry 75,600 GPUs.

Another option would be to look at volume, the cargo hold of the 747-400 LCF is 1840 m^3. The volume of a 3090 is (0.313*0.318*0.0578) 0.00250 m^3. Round to 0.003m^3 to account for packaging.

You could cram 613,333 GPUs in the cargo hold.

Yes, I'm that bored

Nvidia weren't allowed to cancel existing orders of chips, but they have delayed the launch of this series by around 3 months to allow AIBs to clear existing stocks of 3000 series. So there has been additional time for supplies to be established. Word is 4000 will launch in late October with actual stock available in stores by mid November in better numbers than the last launch.

Not sure if I believe it myself, but we'll see...

Nvidia weren't allowed to cancel existing orders of chips

I find it very hard to believe that but Apple was allowed to cancel existing orders of chips.

So Nvidia should be allow to cancel existing orders of chips.

:cry:

4080 might actually be on a AD104 basically a 70 class card chip (back to the good old days of small chips for 80 class cards :rolleyes: ), where rumours before were saying it was on a AD103 a chip down from AD102 and right between the 70 and 90 class cards. This class 103 chip was first used on the mobile 3080ti 16GB only with GA103.

Link to GA103 as a reminder of the chip :- https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-ga103-graphics-processor-pictured-features-496-mm²-die-area

So expect the normal 20-30% jump in performance for each generation or could be less this time, we don't know yet if this is true.

So this is showing that the GA103 originally was designed as the desktop 3080 until AMD put a spanner in Nvidia's plans with the 6000 series and ended up as a 3080ti mobile chip only (now we know why it was so expensive in that form and with 16GB VRAM).

If AMD offers 50% better performance per watt over RDNA 2 as thay ha e promised, I don't think even Nvidia's marketing team can make 20-30% sound appealing. (Good pricing might work though)

If Nvidia can't offer the performance bump I'm looking for, I'll just wait until someone does.

Reactions: TNA
Flipping heck. If they release two different specs of 4080 it's a) adding pointless model confusion with very different cards and b) almost certainly going to consign the 4070 to 10GB/160bit. Neither are outcomes I like.

I probably put this down to screwing with people - normally I'd suggest targetting AMD/leakers, but if it turns out to be true, might be us.

I had a flick back through the RDNA 3 thread and it is interesting how little we have heard in the rumour mill about AMD, there has been nothing on the AMD side; yet we have 124 pages from Nvidia. (From memory the previous rumour threads were pretty close)

So I wonder, has Nvidia decided that the 4080 can be a 104 die because they know that AMD are not in contention or are they underestimating AMD again? Maybe AMD can smell blood this time and want to take Nvidia by surprise this time. If it wasn't for the last minute change by Nvidia on the 3000 series, AMD would have dunked on them.

I wonder if all these rumours of different configs is Nvidia trying to cover all their basis because they don't know what AMD will bring to the table and are concerned.

I had a flick back through the RDNA 3 thread and it is interesting how little we have heard in the rumour mill about AMD, there has been nothing on the AMD side; yet we have 124 pages from Nvidia. (From memory the previous rumour threads were pretty close)

So I wonder, has Nvidia decided that the 4080 can be a 104 die because they know that AMD are not in contention or are they underestimating AMD again? Maybe AMD can smell blood this time and want to take Nvidia by surprise this time. If it wasn't for the last minute change by Nvidia on the 3000 series, AMD would have dunked on them.

I wonder if all these rumours of different configs is Nvidia trying to cover all their basis because they don't know what AMD will bring to the table and are concerned.

Thing is, why are we taking any of these rumours seriously? The amount of time the specs change goes to show those guys are full of **** or it is an nvidia marketing employee messing about gathering data.

At the end of the day naming won’t matter. all that matters is price for performance. If they provide 3090 performance for £500 or so, they can call it the 4050 Ti if they want…

4080 for 20% performance is that even worth it plus the increase watts if you're on a 3080?, they finally upgrade the 4070 to 10gb which should have been on the 3070 TI version anyway and if rumours are true this will mean the 4070 will only offer around 5-10% better performance maybe on par with the 3080.

Thing is, why are we taking any of these rumours seriously? The amount of time the specs change goes to show those guys are full of **** or it is an nvidia marketing employee messing about gathering data.

At the end of the day naming won’t matter. all that matters is price for performance. If they provide 3090 performance for £500 or so, they can call it the 4050 Ti if they want…
I read rumours while eating popcorn. Its just entertainment.

Naming and price does matter. If the 4050ti is the lowest gaming card available but cost £500, then we have a very big problem.

Nvidia will come out guns blazing, but it wont change my choice of AMD 7900xt. Nvidia do it every time, there will be a 4080 followed by a 4080ti some months later, same with the 4070 and 4090 a Ti version will appear.
I had 3 3090's and all were close in performance. I also have 2 6900xt cards now and both draw less power. yes RT is better on Nvidia, but i am not that bothered by RT. DLS is good, but FSR2 is also getting good.

But the main reason is Nvidia stuffed gamers for miners and cards got jacked in price because of supply. selling direct to miners when gamers have been the back bone of sales for years. Now with the cost electric to miners nvidia will
try to return to gamers. If rumours are true and the 4080 only offers 20% performance increase i really hope AMD give it to nvidia this time around. if they do then Nvidia options are simple it will be come a price war of who can be cheapest.

Hopefully gamers will benefit from a price war as £2.k 4090's are not going to fly off the shelves this time around with the cost of living rising and energy costs apart from the few that can afford it. upgrades will be carefully thought about with
small performance increases if rumours are true.

I read rumours while eating popcorn. Its just entertainment.

Naming and price does matter. If the 4050ti is the lowest gaming card available but cost £500, then we have a very big problem.

That was just an extreme example to make a point. Who says they can’t make a 4040 or 4030?

As I said, price for performance is what matters.

4080 for 20% performance is that even worth it plus the increase watts if you're on a 3080?, they finally upgrade the 4070 to 10gb which should have been on the 3070 TI version anyway and if rumours are true this will mean the 4070 will only offer around 5-10% better performance maybe on par with the 3080.

If they do that I will either go AMD or skip a gen. What’s the point. Doubt they will though.

Nvidia will come out guns blazing, but it wont change my choice of AMD 7900xt. Nvidia do it every time, there will be a 4080 followed by a 4080ti some months later, same with the 4070 and 4090 a Ti version will appear.
I had 3 3090's and all were close in performance. I also have 2 6900xt cards now and both draw less power. yes RT is better on Nvidia, but i am not that bothered by RT. DLS is good, but FSR2 is also getting good.

But the main reason is Nvidia stuffed gamers for miners and cards got jacked in price because of supply. selling direct to miners when gamers have been the back bone of sales for years. Now with the cost electric to miners nvidia will
try to return to gamers. If rumours are true and the 4080 only offers 20% performance increase i really hope AMD give it to nvidia this time around. if they do then Nvidia options are simple it will be come a price war of who can be cheapest.

Hopefully gamers will benefit from a price war as £2.k 4090's are not going to fly off the shelves this time around with the cost of living rising and energy costs apart from the few that can afford it. upgrades will be carefully thought about with
small performance increases if rumours are true.

It will be interesting to see what AMD offer, having had AMD GPU's for the last 10 years they have always been slightly behind Nvidia and sometimes drivers let them down. Since owning a 3080 I have only encountered 1 error whereas AMD drivers always failed on something or another (used to be wattman). I do think people will think whether to buy the next gen GPU if they only offer a 20% increase in performance, bearing in mind that most titles are not very game demanding. i have seen some titles with a system requirement of 5700XT equiv which gives you an idea that 10gb-12gb is more than adequate for the next 5 years.

That was just an extreme example to make a point. Who says they can’t make a 4040 or 4030?

As I said, price for performance is what matters.
Price, performance and tier matters. In your example how much does the xx70 and xx80 card cost? £1.5k? £2k? What about the xx90 card?

It doesn't sound great to me if you are paying £500 for the bottom tier card. Basically all your high end gamers have been relegated to the bottom tier and the bottom tier have been kicked out of PC gaming.

Price, performance and tier matters. In your example how much does the xx70 and xx80 card cost? £1.5k? £2k? What about the xx90 card?

It doesn't sound great to me if you are paying £500 for the bottom tier card. Basically all your high end gamers have been relegated to the bottom tier and the bottom tier have been kicked out of PC gaming.

So you are saying 3090 performance for £500 or there abouts doesnt sound good to you?

Back
Top Bottom