• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

If the cheapest next-gen card is $700, but last gen is still on the shelves at a discount, that would be fine too.

Also, companies have to find the most profitable combo of margin and volume. I seriously doubt the low volume at $700 and above can overcome the total profit to be gained with higher-volume lower-marginn parts beow $700.

Price for performance, that is what matters. Simples. If Nvidia do not cater for lower end AMD or Intel will. But let’s be honest, that will not be the case.

4080 for 20% performance is that even worth it plus the increase watts if you're on a 3080?, they finally upgrade the 4070 to 10gb which should have been on the 3070 TI version anyway and if rumours are true this will mean the 4070 will only offer around 5-10% better performance maybe on par with the 3080.
If it's only 20% faster then there is now way it'll be an increase in wattage when going from Samsung 8 to TSMC 5.

If the cheapest next-gen card is $700, but last gen is still on the shelves at a discount, that would be fine too.
Not really. We buy cards to play games (mostly). If a vast majority of gamers can't afford the next generation of cards with all the shiny new innards (specifically referring to silicon changes not just the shiny branding Nvida/AMD sticks on the box); then developers have less of a reason to invest money on optimising their games to take advantage of said next generation of cards. A problem that we sort of have already.

You have one set of gamers buying cards that they will never really be able fully utilise which makes them even worst value for money, another set been giving the hand me downs and Nvidia laughing their way to the bank. But hey, if you like getting taken for a ride that is your business.

Not really. We buy cards to play games (mostly). If a vast majority of gamers can't afford the next generation of cards with all the shiny new innards (specifically referring to silicon changes not just the shiny branding Nvida/AMD sticks on the box); then developers have less of a reason to invest money on optimising their games to take advantage of said next generation of cards. A problem that we sort of have already.

You have one set of gamers buying cards that they will never really be able fully utilise which makes them even worst value for money, another set been giving the hand me downs and Nvidia laughing their way to the bank. But hey, if you like getting taken for a ride that is your business.

Sure, but what’s that got to do with the discussion we are having? As I said, price for performance is what matters, not what the numbers marketing department slap on the box. 3090 performance for around £500, what’s not to like?

If Nvidia decide they do not want to cater for the lower end, I am sure AMD and Intel will have no issues doing so. But that will likely not happen, hence I am not sure what it is you are talking about :p

More restrictions for Intel, Nvidia and AMD. First it was banning their server GPUs being sold to China, now it's factories and investment. The U.S is introducing a 10 year ban on companies with advanced technology from building factories in or investing into China.

The stated reason for this is because the U.S government has allocated $280billion that will be provided for advanced Microprocessor technologies and production and the US government doesn't want any advancement in technology and research as a result of this huge package going to China.

Transfer of technology, research, IP and even government secrets, willingly or unwillingly, is very common when foreign companies invest in China so its a very a valid concern.

I'm not sure if this 10 year ban also affects foreign companies that are investing into the U.S - such as Samsung and TSMC are going to take some of that $280billion as subsidies for building factories in the U.S - so does that now mean Samsung and TSMC can't invest in China for 10 years?

Sure, but what’s that got to do with the discussion we are having? As I said, price for performance is what matters, not what the numbers marketing department slap on the box. 3090 performance for around £500, what’s not to like?

If Nvidia decide they do not want to cater for the lower end, I am sure AMD and Intel will have no issues doing so. But that will likely not happen, hence I am not sure what it is you are talking about :p
I thought you unilaterally agreed to disagree? Why do keep popping back up?

Its easy to get performances like that if you double or even triple the power draw....

WHat game right now and in the near futur struggles at 4k 60fps on a 3070 or above?

60FPS is a terrible frame rate to play at, even at 4K. Has to be 100+ for me, to feel smooth and lag free. Of course you need a monitor/tv with > 60hz refresh rate to take advantage of this.

No GPU, not even 3090ti, can play all games at 100+ fps at 4k, with RT and all options enabled, so these 4000 series are very needed in the high end space.

Back
Top Bottom