• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

If you add up the raster + RT increase over the 3080 and then divide price by that figure the 4080 would have to cost £805 while the 7900XTX would have to £610 to match the 4090 value in all around performance.
Which ironically is the price most people would have 'tolerated' for the 4080, even though 725-750 quid would have been more understandable given inflation in recent years.

It was the crypto booms that gave Nvidia the idea for higher prices, like when people were paying 1000+ for GTX 1080ti's and then last time around 1200 for the 3070 and 800 for the 3060 which is why we now have renamed cards using the same size dies going for those prices.

Most of us said not to pay those prices, but many defended Turing V1 because reasons and paid the prices using Apple logic. So no wonder Nvidia and AMD are both doing this now. But PCMR pay £100 for mega editions of broken games, plus DLC and microtransactions. The reality is gamers are weak willed and are responsible for a lot of this.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for the same, i'm hoping for £450 that will be the 7800XT.

There's already some models now breaking below £500, e.g. Sapphire Pulse. They will certainly eventually hit £450, not question of if, but when. I'm doubtful 4070 will get that low anytime soon though.

7900XTX is 47% faster than the 6900XT and $100 cheaper....

Something weird about that, is this how its supposed to be?

Cheapest 6900XT in stock/available is just over £700.
Cheapest 7900XTX around is £900. Unless you meant the 7900XT, which has previously been down to £700.
Prices just depend on where one is looking. Last gens 6900/6950s are drying up, low supply = higher prices.
Except current Nvidia GPUs, high prices with plenty of supply :rolleyes:

Rumours of new AMD GPUs seems to be silly. Especially with close pricing of 7700XT and 7800XT, there's not much space for a 7800 non-XT between.
Unless AMD drops 7700XT down more, then a £50 cheaper 7800 non-XT vs XT would still be a pointless release.

In the unlikely event that 4000 supers replace at current 4000 RRP, AMD would have to do something with pricing to keep up.
Throwing more options on the same pricing ladder does bugger all.
Though that seems to be Nvidia's strategy these days.

I'm talking about MSRP to MSRP, if they price new GPU's against EOL GPU's they will quickly end up at a Zero $ sum. :)
Its why Nvidia stopped discounting EOL GPU's, tech jurnoes started comparing EOL pricing against new, Nvidia being as switched on and ruthless as they are just said "right then, i'm not playing along with that game"
Even AMD held out for quite a while reducing the price of its upper midrange, like the 6750XT, the 6800 and the 6800XT.
I understand the tactic from tech jurnoes point of view but they are never bright enough to see beyond their own agenda, i mean some of them even compare them to equivalent used GPU's when they are only 15% cheaper, 3 year old card with an unknown history and no warranty, this is bad consumer advice and its the reason why used GPU's are priced so stubbornly high.
Right now i'm seeing £400 to £450 used 6800XT's, Hardware Unboxed would tell their audience to buy those instead of a brand new 7800XT for £500, it almost seems spiteful because the 7800XT isn't £400. really very bad consumer advice for the sake of sticking it to AMD.

Anyway, while i don't know where these none XT GPU's would fit in when it comes to pricing i think having them makes a certain amount of sense, they would be salvaged parts, parts that have been RMA'd and the still good cores rebinned and reused. They all do this as a way to recover RMA costs and not waste good parts.
By now AMD will have a collection of RMA'd 7700XT and 7800XT chips, the 7900GRD are salvaged 7900XT's and 7900XTX's.

Last edited:
It was the crypto booms that gave Nvidia the idea for higher prices, like when people were paying 1000+ for GTX 1080ti's and then last time around 1200 for the 3070 and 800 for the 3060 which is why we now have renamed cards using the same size dies going for those prices.

It was the original Titan more than anything, that was basically an experiment in seeing how far up the ass the consumer will take it. Then the crypto caper was more feedback on that point making the prices get driven up even further.

It was the original Titan more than anything, that was basically an experiment in seeing how far up the ass the consumer will take it. Then the crypto caper was more feedback on that point making the prices get driven up even further.

Actually started with the GTX 680... you know the fake top card on the 670 chip instead of the top chip like always before... then the titan games started around then too, to add to the nvidia games. After the GTX 580 it all went down hill and getting worse ever since, from fake names on gpus to never ending price increases for less.

Actually started with the GTX 680... you know the fake top card on the 670 chip instead of the top chip like always before... then the titan games started around then too, to add to the nvidia games. After the GTX 580 it all went down hill and getting worse ever since, from fake names on gpus to never ending price increases for less.

The titan started the trend of £1k plus gpu's being 'the norm' for the highest end cards. It's only got worse since then.

The titan started the trend of £1k plus gpu's being 'the norm' for the highest end cards. It's only got worse since then.
Titans were expensive but at least you got the full chip, nowadays Nvidia is selling a more cut down 102 than even any 80ti to date for £1600 and what would have been the equivalent of a 70 class in every other generation for £1200

crypto boom might have given Nvidia the idea for higher prices, but gamers gladly obliged them with buying those gpu's. aeotd it is gamers who are ultimately to blame imo

Guys... Apple and Samsung (and others) are selling expensive phones, some close to $2k. Heck, even overpriced laptops and PCs of all types... People have money, people will spend said money on these cards. For 1st world countries $1k is more or less nothing in the grand scheme of things ... I like how people complain day in and out and calculate the difference between a console and a PC when their vices or other "innocent" pleasures in life cost easily that difference (if not more) yearly, not to mention for the entirety of that console's life cycle.

Anyway, nVIDIA does have the features to command a premium price and probably won't back down from that if the numbers are good enough. Especially if the AI side of business goes fine as well. I guess best we can hope is a card or two getting decent prices next time around, but sadly the old ways of good prices is more or less gone. Look at AMD, even with the savings they're getting due to MCM design and they've decided to pocket those for themselves. Only thing that could alter this stat significantly would be a major crisis within the industry.

Last edited:
Exactly, this forum can all collude to teach nvidia a lesson right. We should all quit gaming for 2 years to save a few hundred bucks in 3 years time.

What should we call this movement?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom