• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

As overpriced as the 4090 is the RT performance alone is worth it. Just look at Alan Wale 2 that says it all, AMD are at a minimum of two generations behind in RT and it’s being used more and more. I love my 4090 and if had the choice I’d buy it again without any hesitation. RT is important to me and AMD don’t have anything even close.

As overpriced as the 4090 is the RT performance alone is worth it. Just look at Alan Wale 2 that says it all, AMD are at a minimum of two generations behind in RT and it’s being used more and more. I love my 4090 and if had the choice I’d buy it again without any hesitation. RT is important to me and AMD don’t have anything even close.
And on the flip side I really don't care about RT so the 4090 doesn't appeal to me at all.

It's horses for courses - and at least we have a good amount of options, it's just a shame those options are increasingly costing more and more.

high end doesn't interest me as maybe spend hr or 2 max gaming per day, RT doesn't interest me in slightest bit, so for me its hard to justify paying a grand or more on a gpu, if was avid gamer then yeah maybe, but things like above video still interest me

I mean most would justify the purchase a 4090 if they bought one, just how it goes. But it is down to if you need the performance and RT performance, nothing more. Green vs Red bias should not factor in, not unless you got shares in that company. lol

Yup, it is very short sighted for amd to not be focussing on this now. Just look at how awful RDNA 2 is aging now (imo), RT is becoming more prevalent and as shown, games are starting to now not even allow RT to be turned off, even on consoles... RDNA 4 absolutely has to get RT performance better than ada or/and significantly improve their upscaling (for res below 4k as well as lower presets) or/and frame gen imo.

As HUB said once before, when it comes to deciding between amd and nvidia gpus, best thing to do is go through a checklist to confirm that you won't be using xyz features and only then can you decide that amd will be for you.

Just my take on what I value in terms of gaming experience though.

Even if the 5090 appears in 10 months time? People need to make their own decisions on what's worth it now.

Is playing Alan wake 2 right now that important? To me, the 4090 pricing only makes sense to the content creator market.

Yup it's not worth buying a 4090 now but then imo, it's not worth buying any GPU now unless you can upgrade to rDNA 3/Ada for next to nothing.

Even if the 5090 appears in 10 months time? People need to make their own decisions on what's worth it now.

Is playing Alan wake 2 right now that important? To me, the 4090 pricing only makes sense to the content creator market.

Bit late now buying it at full price with the 5000 series and with maybe AMD around the corner, but around launch time for me yes it was. It's not just Alan Wake 2, there are plenty of other games where the 4090 is consistently faster in regular raster performance and it's not even a contest once RT or the even harder to run path tracing is running, in those modes it's in a league of it's own and they happen to be games I want to play. I fully agree the price of all the 5000 cards is just ridiculous, but I want the fastest RT performance at 4K so I have to pay the price or wait years for AMD to even catch-up to what Nvidia have out right now, plus I prefer DLSS as it still does a better job at least for now.

I'm certainly not an Nvidia fanboy, I just want the best performance so whether that's Nvidia or AMD I don't care, if AMD launched a card tomorrow that was 100% faster than the the 4090 or 20% faster than whatever the 5090 might be then I would have no hesitation in buying that. Nvidia just happens to be on top and has been for years and they are milking that for every penny, not a lot I can do about that unless AMD catches up and beats them.

Bit late now buying it at full price with the 5000 series and with maybe AMD around the corner, but around launch time for me yes it was. It's not just Alan Wake 2, there are plenty of other games where the 4090 is consistently faster in regular raster performance and it's not even a contest once RT or the even harder to run path tracing is running, in those modes it's in a league of it's own and they happen to be games I want to play. I fully agree the price of all the 5000 cards is just ridiculous, but I want the fastest RT performance at 4K so I have to pay the price or wait years for AMD to even catch-up to what Nvidia have out right now, plus I prefer DLSS as it still does a better job at least for now.

I'm certainly not an Nvidia fanboy, I just want the best performance so whether that's Nvidia or AMD I don't care, if AMD launched a card tomorrow that was 100% faster than the the 4090 or 20% faster than whatever the 5090 might be then I would have no hesitation in buying that. Nvidia just happens to be on top and has been for years and they are milking that for every penny, not a lot I can do about that unless AMD catches up and beats them.
You did the right thing buying at launch, that thing is still crazy powerful and will be for a while.

Not worth buying now in my opinion, but you've probably enjoyed that card for over a year now. Keep it another year and it'll actually look good value on a per month cost.

That's a good PoV.

I still hold to the idea that 4080 sold rather well so far considering what it has been done to it.

Indeed, we could add 3080ti to the mix since probably sold for roughly the same price as 3080 on the regular market. But again, you could mine on these two and recoup some of the money spent or even all of it (perhaps making a profit too). Now, you can't really do that, but still, it sold, although not as much as Nvidia would have hoped, I guess.

The thing with Supers, back in Turing days, is that they still came in at the same price, not cheaper, I think somewhere a bit less than 15% faster. I wouldn't call that much wow today. is still a a failed product price wise for the customers. And probably was still back in the day.

The Super cards caused the RTX2060 and RTX2070 to drop in price too. The RTX2060 Super was essentially an RTX2070 for a nearly 20% lower price.

I just started playing lords of the fallen, and first time I opened it it defaulted to max graphics settings and 4k resolution and then I played it and it ran flawlessly

This is one of the dozen "poorly optimized" AAA games released in 2023 and yet I have no idea why cause it just goes vroom vroom.

That's the power of the rtx4090. I've never owned another GPU that let me spend less time tinkering with settings, it's been such a pleasure to just spend 10 seconds maxing out everything in games and pressing play and never worrying about framerate again. Sure some other high end GPUs were also able to do the same in their day but having owned everything since the 1080ti, the 4090 has been the most seemless experience

Last edited:
I just started playing lords of the fallen, and first time I opened it it defaulted to max graphics settings and 4k resolution and then I played it and it ran flawlessly

This is one of the dozen "poorly optimized" AAA games released in 2023 and yet I have no idea why cause it just goes vroom vroom.

That's the power of the rtx4090. I've never owned another GPU that let me spend less time tinkering with settings, it's been such a pleasure to just spend 10 seconds maxing out everything in games and pressing play and never worrying about framerate again. Sure some other high end GPUs were also able to do the same in their day but having owned everything since the 1080ti, the 4090 has been the most seemless experience
It is epic isn't it, went back to replay resident evil 2 remake and I had to tinker lots on my 3060ti to make it work at 4k60.
4090 just laughs at it maxed 4k120 not hastle. Even did 150% resolution scale no problem.

Last edited:

KdYqKkI.png

Last edited:
I'm still confident we won't see used 4090s going for £1000 like @TNA says when the 50s come out :p Given the latest leak for 5090 specs, I can't see that card being under £2000, and the 5080 will likely be what the 4090 sells for now new lol. Rough ride ahead for future GPU buyers no doubt.

I'm still confident we won't see used 4090s going for £1000 like @TNA says when the 50s come out :p Given the latest leak for 5090 specs, I can't see that card being under £2000, and the 5080 will likely be what the 4090 sells for now new lol. Rough ride ahead for future GPU buyers no doubt.
people probably thought the same when they paid 3k for their 3090’s during the mining boom.

With the SUPER cards expected soon, does that give an indication of how soon we can expect the 5000 series cards?
I keep toying with the idea of a 4090, but it would be really annoying to get one and then a few months later the 5090 is released for a similar price.

You can't infer anything at all I'm afraid.

The 3090Ti launched in Jan 2022 and the 4090 only 8 months later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom