• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

How the hell am I going tell the wife I need to spend over a grand on a graphics card
Why wouldn't you be able to tell you wife that? Unless you are completely strapped for cash and depend on her for your money, and your PC gaming hobby is not a secret, then I am sure she can understand you buying something for a hobby you love that will last 2.-3 years.

What a load of aimless and annoying rambling and a prime example of why I limit my Youtube tech consumption to only a few content providers.

Did you even watch that video before doing a link'n'run or did you just read the title?

He has a point though.

Nvidia did this back in the day, renaming skus to a higher tier when you were getting a mid rage card, now they are doing it again.

12GB 4080 shold be the 4070 card, either the Ti or non Ti, not the 4080 tier.

So, the 4000 series is finally almost upon us it seems?

I currently have a 3090 24 GB RTX and had to fight hard to get it not long after release day, was no chance on release day and did try. Got one for £1800 by checking UK sites daily in the mornings and thought that was steep, but not long after the prices soared again dramatically, glad its all got a little more sensible again, the original projected RRP for a 3090 was £1200 smackers but at buying mine slightly later for £1800 could have sold it for a tidy profit just a few more weeks later, even had generous offers from friends desperate for one, crazy times LOL.

I cant justify upgrading to a 4090 just now, always skipped at least one generation for most PC components, also the power requirements for a 4090 under load look crazy, is it always going to be higher power requirement? wont future smaller GPU dies more efficiency drop power usage and still maintain more GPU grunt? If it carrys on like this we'll all need our own power stations !!

But yeah, my 3090 does everything I need at almost 4K resolution (ultra wide screen 38" 5120 x 1440 ... about 86% of 4K) Inc MS2020 at very high settings, not a VR user either.

Will wait it out for next years 5090's ... maybe :)

I currently have a 3090 24 GB RTX and had to fight hard to get it not long after release day, was no chance on release day and did try. Got one for £1800 by checking UK sites daily in the mornings and thought that was steep, but not long after the prices soared again dramatically, glad its all got a little more sensible again, the original projected RRP for a 3090 was £1200 smackers but at buying mine slightly later for £1800 could have sold it for a tidy profit just a few more weeks later, even had generous offers from friends desperate for one, crazy times LOL.

I cant justify upgrading to a 4090 just now, always skipped at least one generation for most PC components, also the power requirements for a 4090 under load look crazy, is it always going to be higher power requirement? wont future smaller GPU dies more efficiency drop power usage and still maintain more GPU grunt? If it carrys on like this we'll all need our own power stations !!

But yeah, my 3090 does everything I need at almost 4K resolution (ultra wide screen 38" 5120 x 1440 ... about 86% of 4K) Inc MS2020 at very high settings, not a VR user either.
Thanks for the info. :p
It's a 2 year release cycle per generation.

I have been watching this thread with great interest. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the flow of information and comments. I have a 3070 and it is a truly excellent GPU, until I upgraded my monitor to that G9 SUPER ULTRA WIDE screen. Really hoping the 4090 is priced well enough and performs a step faster than the 3070. Need that power to push fps on those extra pixels!!!!

This thread is keeping me from buying a 3090ti for now...haha

Well I still have my 12 GB Titan X Pascal in my second machine and that was about on par with a same time ish release of GTX1080Ti I think, and its still a great card for slighltly less demanding stuff IMHO, so skipped the 2080's for my 3090, will concede I'm wrong about year gaps though, just seems like it to me :)

I have been watching this thread with great interest. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the flow of information and comments. I have a 3070 and it is a truly excellent GPU, until I upgraded my monitor to that G9 SUPER ULTRA WIDE screen. Really hoping the 4090 is priced well enough and performs a step faster than the 3070. Need that power to push fps on those extra pixels!!!!

This thread is keeping me from buying a 3090ti for now...haha

Its a Samsung G9 Super ultra wide I have too mate, my 3090 runs it just fine, no doubt a 4090 would be better though if you can afford to upgrade and can get one on release day ... good luck :)

Why wouldn't you be able to tell you wife that? Unless you are completely strapped for cash and depend on her for your money, and your PC gaming hobby is not a secret, then I am sure she can understand you buying something for a hobby you love that will last 2.-3 years.
Blimey I ain't keeping it that long, I'll need a new one.

If 4080 12 or 16gb is good and price to performance is there, I'm hoping it'll fit my meshify c otherwise new case time, which will be a shame as it's a fantastic smaller mid tower case :(

I

I Paid 1600 for my 3090 haven't regretted it at all .waiting to see the scores before deciding ...

I Paid 1600 for my 3090 haven't regretted it at all .waiting to see the scores before deciding ...

I suppose that is the important part a lot of standard users forget. As long as you are happy with the £800-900 is has cost you for the use of that card over the last (insert time owned), then its all good.
I know for me, since I only play the odd game here and there, and mainly strategy games, and the odd RPG etc. then I would have never felt the same way, and would have invested that money in other forms of entertainment or home improvements etc.

Back
Top Bottom