• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Lets just hope they have RT performance matching ampere or beating it as if it still looses, it will be a big fat meh from me unless it is priced extremely well i.e. £600-700 for a 7800xt.... couldn't care less about rasterization now.

Unless AMD goes back to R290/X days, I wouldn't hold my breath for a significant lower price. Moreover, I highly doubt they'll have something to compete with DLSS 3 which is going to leave them in the dust for any CPU limited scenario/game. Until FSR is up to speed with that...

Plus, for RT/PT, if you want 4k, you need the kind of performance of these next gen cards. So is kind of a bad/sad thing all around.

Last edited:
I've been wondering why ppl buy these - I must be missing something.
Can you summarise what's so good about it? What do you play on it?
So far, I've played through Control, Doom Eternal, Horizon Zero Dawn, and a bunch of indie games.
It's never going to compete with a proper gaming PC or laptop for graphics quality but it's good enough for a good experience and I can play while sat on the sofa with my wife or on the train.

I've been wondering why ppl buy these - I must be missing something.
Can you summarise what's so good about it? What do you play on it?

This.

Have seen a lot of people ranting and raving about it but not sure I see the appeal?

Unless AMD goes back to R290/X days, I wouldn't hold my breath for a significant lower price. Moreover, I highly doubt they'll have something to compete with DLSS 3 which is going to leave them in the dust for any CPU limited scenario/game. Until FSR is up to speed with that...

Plus, for RT/PT, if you want 4k, you need the kind of performance of these next gen cards. So is kind of a bad/sad thing all around.

Agree.

I think if all you care about is power efficiency and raster. amd will make an absolute killing though.

Wow. I only had AMD like 2 years ago, but based on some posts here one would think it was 20 :D

Same here :cry:

Last edited:
Its a bit shady having a 4080 12gb and 16gb versions, most people on paper will just assume it’s the memory that’s different but it’s a completely different card.

This 40 series launch is just crazy.

The only decent value is the 4090. the 4080 and 4070 are just ridiculous. Can't wait to see rasterisation numbers.

There is a very significant difference this time though.... the actual performance. Aside from the 2080Ti which was a meagre ~30ish% faster than a 1080Ti (for a massive premium) the other turing cards were basically EQUIVALENT performance just with raytracing bolted on. That was the (bad) joke. That is not the case this time. The performance uplift is significant, but you're going to pay for it.
Is the performance much better though?, the £950 4080 12gb only has a 192 bus and 7680 cuda cores so can't see this being more than 10% faster than a 3080 10gb which had a 320 bus and 8700 cuda?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom