• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I'll take 2 so I can play CP2077 at 8K in the park, next to my bench on my LG OLED because I can't pay bills and mortgage so lost it all.

Yea, last round was a paper launch, this time it makes no sense to buy these things considering how **** stuff is. Reckoning maybe?

Rapid innovation is not planned obsolescence. In any case, the reality is that what these cards are capable of is simply not necessary for most gamers. A five year old card will still deliver high frame rates on good settings at 1080p, it's only if you want to ramp up to 4K and with ray tracing that you could come close to needing one of these cards.

What rapid innovation?

Maybe we will see some decent priced RDNA 3 reference models (probably will involve people using alert apps again...).

I don't expect good prices for any third party cards on launch.

Last edited:
My thoughts: DLSS 3.0 is a killer feature, amazing (if it lives up to the hype). The fact that you can use AI to 'fill in the blanks' and do the work so the CPU doesn't have to is incredible. Huge CPU bottlenecks (MS Flight Sim) are removed in an instant and we get performance that would have been impossible even with a GPU with unlimited power before. It's hard to overstate how impressive this is.

However, the pricing is terrible. The 4080 12GB is a rebranded 4070/TI that Nvidia are charging 80/TI money for and we are getting royally shafted by the exchange rate in the UK where we are paying more in pounds than the US MSRP in dollars (usually it's the other way round, even post-Brexit where the pound has been weak). This all makes the 4090 look like the more reasonably priced one :cry: .

Last edited:
My thoughts: DLSS 3.0 is a killer feature, amazing (if it lives up to the hype). The fact that you can use AI to 'fill in the blanks' and do the work so the CPU doesn't have to is incredible. Huge CPU bottlenecks (MS Flight Sim) are removed in an instant and we get performance that would have been impossible even with a GPU with unlimited power before. It's hard to overstate how impressive this is.

However, the pricing is terrible. The 4080 12GB is a rebranded 4070/TI that Nvidia are charging 80/TI money for and we are getting royally shafted by the exchange rate in the UK where we are paying more in pounds than the US MSRP in dollars (usually it's the other way round, even post-Brexit where the pound has been weak). This all makes the 4090 look like the more reasonably priced one :cry: .

The US price is before tax based on state.
UK price includes 20% VAT.

Last edited:
Oh dear, will be interesting to see how it will look for the time between 4-6 :cry: :D

4V3vuZH.png

If it continues to dive like that, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some adjustments to pricing.... amd will no doubt be taking notes here.....

EDIT:

Having said that, amd look to be diving as well, possibly due to lack of any announcements till Nov?

mgUDbTF.png
I just think it's general market fluctuations.

Looks around 1.5x from RE Village, AC Valhalla and The Division 2 in one of the charts here - the other games use dlss which I guess they're leaning on heavily with the 40 series.

The '4080' 12GB is quite a lot slower in rasterisation without DLSS than it should be given its price.

Last edited:

It really depends on how well it's implemented.

Frame interpolation is not something new, we'll have to wait and see how much better these "AI" stuff are. The original DLSS was not that much better than traditional resolution upscaling, it was DLSS 2 that made a big difference. It could very well be that the this first generation of frame generation DLSS would be a gimmick and future generations would be the real killers.

However, the actual reason frame interpolation didn't really become popular in gaming was never poor visual quality, it was about the fact that the generated frames didn't feel right as they didn't follow the game logic, they were only shown to the end user. And this added a perception of input lag that isn't consistent (frame rates vary, so this lag will vary as well), so difficult to predict for the gamer. This would be nice in the likes of flight simulator though, but not all games.

We'll just have to wait and see before calling it a killer feature.

I don't think i can bring myself to pay those prices, sad times
I was going to get one but IDK if I want a GPU that massive and that power hungry in my case.
Then you probably have to take it apart and put some decent thermal pads in there....

Becomes more hassle than it's worth since your not even paying for convenience it's like paying 2000 for an ikea flat pack chest of draws you have to build yourself

Back
Top Bottom