• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

yup...and you can now bet your bottom dollar OCUK and other retailers/etailers are combing these forums rubbing their hands with glee knowing ppl more likely to go buy a 30 series card now....big price hikes coming tomorrow before opening.

good luck with that as well ....
my entire system is now AMD with the exception of the GPU. This might actually push me to buy an AMD GPU this time around and just show Nvidia the middle finger.

I am very much in the market for one of these. Either 4080 16 gig or 4090. But I am absolutely waiting to at least get eyes on the 7900XT (I need a complete new box so waiting was a foregone conclusion :p). I mean to buy something that will have no problems with 4K/120+ hz with all the bells and whistles with enough headroom to last at least a comfortable 4-6 years (my normal upgrade pattern is a new card roughly every 5 years give or take)

You'll probably end up with more performance with buying each gen a new card from the x70 or x80 series than the very best.

With the price rise of the 4080(s), which should probably be 2 separate SKUs, does that make the £650 3080 one of the best deals of all time?
I would wait for the dust to settle, reviews to see and AMD to launch their next series. It could be that a 650 pound card from the 4xxx series to be a lot better in the long run due to DLSS 3.x and better RT/AI whatever hardware it has. Personally, I would most likely wait for a 4070/4060(ti) card instead of getting any of the 3xxx series.

Does the £1269 RTX 4080 at least come with a bottle of lube? They must have boatloads of 30 series left to sell to exceed my ridiculous $1000 prediction.

I'm a little bit skeptical how effective and useful DLSS 3.0's frame prediction will be. It will probably make the image smoother but with artifacts when the prediction is wrong, and won't reduce input lag like a higher frame rate normally would. Also not many games are going to be CPU limited below your monitor's refresh rate anyway.

like yourself I’m wondering whether there’s really enough of a market for £1000+ video cards? First time we’ve seen an xx80 video card at that price.

I can see many struggling to justify spending that kind of cash on a GPU? Especially when the new consoles (ps5, series x) are now so powerful and less than half the price of a GPU alone.

Anyone else feel like this is a price hike too far at a time when many are cutting back on non-essential spending?
They have now two 4080 variants and at least one more will be launched. Maybe we'll have a 4080 Super and 4080 Ti. They have plenty of room to fit cards in between 4080 and 4090.

4080 12GB should really be called a 4070. $899 & $1199 seem very-high for 4080 parts, especially after the $699 3080 launch-price. Price seems even-steeper when Crypto-mining will not consume supply. 4090 seems much-better priced in-comparison to 4080 parts.

I’m wondering whether there’s really enough of a market for £1000+ video cards? First time we’ve seen an xx80 video card at that price.
3080 Tis have entered the chat.

MSRP for an FE was £1049, and that was "cheap" compared to AIB prices. That's what many of us paid for our FEs which at the time was gold dust lol.

Unless you meant non Tis of course!

Last edited:
I'm a little bit skeptical how effective and useful DLSS 3.0's frame prediction will be. It will probably make the image smoother but with artifacts when the prediction is wrong, and won't reduce input lag like a higher frame rate normally would. Also not many games are going to be CPU limited below your monitor's refresh rate anyway.

A bit of lag is ok, like with v sync off vs. on, depends how much it adds.

Last edited:
The 4080 12gb with its 192bit memory bus is nothing like the 4080 16gb with 256bit bus. These should be called 4080 and 4070 so consumers know they are actually very different This is total product confusion by Nv and I truely do not give a damn about a company that will play these type of games.

No way on earth I will be buying a 4000 series gpu from Nv.

like yourself I’m wondering whether there’s really enough of a market for £1000+ video cards? First time we’ve seen an xx80 video card at that price.

I can see many struggling to justify spending that kind of cash on a GPU? Especially when the new consoles (ps5, series x) are now so powerful and less than half the price of a GPU alone.

Anyone else feel like this is a price hike too far at a time when many are cutting back on non-essential spending?
Indeed, frankly this view in my circle started around the 20xx series, was reinforced, along with a few bailouts to the console scene on the 30xx launch, nobody is even remotely interested never mind excited by this launch….

Such a change from back in the day, to think I used to LOL at a few in my peer group who’d gladly drop £500 on a high end GPU…..

Everyone forgetting about the energy usage

PC gaming pricing became a joke when 10XX series was announced. At that time I was always trolled about how wrong, delusional I was.
It only took Nvidia taking mid range to £1000 and open a new one for everyone to realise how ridiculous the prices are. Don't even get me started on AMD charging £300 for basic CPUs.

Some more on dlss 3 and other rtx gpus:

DLSS Super Resolution is a key part of DLSS 3, and is under constant research and continues to be honed and improved. DLSS Super Resolution updates will be made available for all RTX GPUs.

We are encouraging developers to integrate DLSS 3, which is a combination of DLSS Frame Generation, DLSS Super Resolution, and NVIDIA Reflex. DLSS 3 is a superset of DLSS 2.

While DLSS Frame Generation is supported on RTX 40 Series GPUs, all RTX gamers will continue to benefit from DLSS Super Resolution and NVIDIA Reflex features in DLSS 3 integrations.

3080 Tis have entered the chat.

MSRP for an FE was £1049, and that was "cheap" compared to AIB prices. That's what many of us paid for our FEs which at the time was gold dust lol.

Unless you meant non Tis of course!
The 3080ti was close in performance to a 3090 though, the 4080 16gb has 6500 less cuda to a 4090 and a 256 vs 384 bit bus so will look more like what a £1270 3070 would have to a 3090.

Back
Top Bottom