• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

• AD102: 608 mm² die, 76.3B transistors
  • AD103: 378.6 mm² die, 45.9B transistors
  • AD104: 294.5 mm² die, 35.8B transistors
The problem is the 2080 had double the transistors of the 1080ti but performance was another matter.

How can the prices change if they already have the stock? How can they justify price increases for stock that is already paid for if the £sinks to the dollar?

No stock is paid for, also very little stock is landed yet, when stock lands we book in at a live rate minus 2 cents for safety. As such prices get updated daily on stock not yet landed or paid for. Pound keeps weakening, then prices will keep increasing. When we only have 6-8% margin to play with, we unfortunately don't have the luxury of not worrying about price as we simply don't have the margin buffer to swallow any cost movement due to exchange rate swings.

Pound recovers, prices go down.

If the rate was 1.40 or got back there then a 4090 would be £1399, so a solid £300 reduction on MSRP product, it has such a dramatic impact on high value items. If the pound does not recover the only other way the price can drop is if NVIDIA reduce the USD cost to buy.

I'd really hope that 1.10 is the bottom for the pound, it has been in decline for years against USD now at somepoint it has to at least stabilise as its having serious impact on everything.

Last edited:
No stock is paid for, also very little stock is landed yet, when stock lands we book in at a live rate minus 2 cents for safety. As such prices get updated daily on stock not yet landed or paid for. Pound keeps weakening, then prices will keep increasing. When we only have 6-8% margin to play with, we unfortunately don't have the luxury of not worrying about price as we simply don't have the margin buffer to swallow any cost movement due to exchange rate swings.

Pound recovers, prices go down.

If the rate was 1.40 or got back there then a 4090 would be £1399, so a solid £300 reduction on MSRP product, it has such a dramatic impact on high value items. If the pound does not recover the only other way the price can drop is if NVIDIA reduce the USD cost to buy.

Ah, Assumed that this close to launch some cards would have landed already, or atleast paid for to secure the stock

Really does suck :( Nvidia need to step in, but i guess the ones that are willing to pay £1600 for a gfx card would still pluck up another 1-300

Last edited:
Ah, Assumed that this close to launch some cards would have landed already.

Really does suck :( Nvidia need to step in, but i guess the ones that are willing to pay £1600 for a gfx card would still pluck up another 1-300

Some have landed, but not yet paid for.

NVIDIA set pricing in USD, can't really hold them accountable for exchange rate and incompetence of governments and the crazy situation the world is in right now.

Lets face it 2022 and 2023 will be woeful years, war and recession is not going to make life easier. We can only hope war and recession swiftly ends and 2024 can see a recovery. The 2020's are off to a crap start, even worse for UK with Brexit creating further issues and our poor government. But Covid, War and recession incoming, lets just pray the war comes to an end and does not escalate further otherwise things will go downhill fast.

Last edited:
DLSS 3 will presumably take two pre-rendered frames and use AI to generate a middle frame between them, that combined with the latency of how long it takes the card to actually generate the frame will combine into the total added latency of DLSS 3 as an interpolation solution.
The whole point of this is it's much quicker to interpolate a frame than to render it.

Say before you rendered frames 1, 2 and 3 to the frame buffer then output and it took 20ms a shot then soonest you could output would be 60ms.
Now assuming FRUC is way faster (it should be), say 5ms, you render frame 1 and 3 traditionally then interpolate frame 2, that's the buffer filled in 45ms and ready to output.

The increase in latency only occurs when you compare lower frame buffers (ie enable Reflex) to 1, because you can't lower FRUC to 1 but only a minimum of 2. But I think most people run 3 frame buffers.

This is assuming a DLSS 3 level of Quality, I'm guessing Balanced, Performance and Ultra Performance will generate an extra 2, 3 and 4 frames respectively and further increase the latency.
Yeah I've not seen anything about that - I kind of assumed it was just on/off without a quality setting. For quality I don't know if there's any benefit to accumulating more than one frame either side but that would rapidly cause an increase in frame buffer size. But on the performance side I guess why not subdivide the vector into two or more intermediary frames rather than just one? Might give much better results in low frame rate situations too.

I imagine the prices will increase further as the pound continues to fall as we approach release date. The measures the gov are putting in place are seen as panic in the markets. How times have changed, the BOE increasing interest rates and yet the pound losing value still and the gov trying to encourage growth by taking drastic measures - sadly you cannot print money - well you actually can and they did, but you know what I mean! 17% down on the year, not ideal!

image.png

Last edited:
The coke bucket from the mining boom ran dry and now that nVidia execs are on a comedown they realise nobody cares about 8K gaming and have instead gone for a more realistic push for high FPS 4K gaming.
Tbh I really want to get an 8K TV ever since Samsung tried their hand with the Q900R, but they're all so weak - either fake 8K with poor CM, or other issues with playback and the LD control. Only the LG Z9 oled is any good but it's way overpriced & frankly outdated. It's funny - GPUs got to 8K before displays really did.

WTF happened?

Yeah I've not seen anything about that - I kind of assumed it was just on/off without a quality setting.
Pretty sure it's just on/off. They've also mentioned in the editor's briefing that all the 4000 series cards have the same fixed-function accelerator for that 'frame generation' portion, so they'll all be equally fast at it. Should yield disproportionate results for lower-end cards, but I guess that's why Nvidia's pricing them all so high.

Some have landed, but not yet paid for.

NVIDIA set pricing in USD, can't really hold them accountable for exchange rate and incompetence of governments and the crazy situation the world is in right now.

Lets face it 2022 and 2023 will be woeful years, war and recession is not going to make life easier. We can only hope war and recession swiftly ends and 2024 can see a recovery. The 2020's are off to a crap start, even worse for UK with Brexit creating further issues and our poor government. But Covid, War and recession incoming, lets just pray the war comes to an end and does not escalate further otherwise things will go downhill fast.
CiNkPLT.gif

Considering Bloomberg's current headline is "Truss economic plan sends UK markets into meltdown, pound falls 2%", I'd say we're completely hosed for the foreseeable.

****'sake... and yesterday the BoE held off further rate rises to defend the pound because they wanted to "wait and see" what Truss and co's plan was. And they won't do anything else until November. There is no one steering the ship.
(This is very close to my heart as we moved overseas, sold our house in the UK and the pound has been in freefall ever since, our deposit is still in £ and buys us less house in our new home country every frickin day...)

Back
Top Bottom