• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Funny enough meant to say 3090. The 3090 offered no real performance uplift for gaming and it was launched as a gaming card at the time, and it was over double the price of the 3080, but only offering 10 -percent more performance.
The 4090 looks to offer a much bigger leap over the 4080's and even then the price difference is much less since Nvidia increased the pricing and renamed the 4060ti/ into a 4080. So the 4090 in the states is much better performance/value over the 4080.
How is it in the Uk? Are our prices ok for the 4090?

It appears that Sony is making a profit actually - https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps5-turning-profit-sony/
Even if is not the case anymore, they're not selling $1000 consoles for $500 to end users.

Companies are making huge profits with huge margins. To give an example about AMD and Ryzen vs. RDNA2:

6800xt 520mm^2 @ $649 => $1,24/mm^2
5800x 81mm^2 @ 449 => $5,54/mm^2

Since they're were making a profit after each 6800xt, they could have sold that 5800x @ around $154 ($1,24 * 124) and still make a profit. Instead, it was sold for almost 4.5 times as much. ;)

PC Upgrades are not free or cheap.
I think historically Sony made loads of losses on the ps3 and now no long make a loss on hardware as they aren’t a fan of that model as it put the PlayStation brand in jeopardy that generation

Most console gamers own the ps4, xbox one and switch which can be outperformed by a PC from 2012.

There is a reason why we're all here bickering about prices. Consoles are simply trash and could never replace PC gaming.
Are you pretending the xbox series X and PS5 don't exist?

You realise both consoles have still sold in the millions each?

For me it's having access to every game ever in the best quality possible (and even further with mod). Been able to buy Steam keys from legit third parties that also makes it a lot cheaper than buying off the store fronts, even when they are discounted on the consoles.

When I buy my 4090 every game is going to get what the consoles would call a "remaster" or a "upgrade patch" for free.

No online fee. Also been able to emulate nearly any game ever as well. I use my PC to store a load of media as well, I've gone completely digital, no discs at all for my films or TV series.

I've got my PC basically set up as a super console anyways, connected to a 77" OLED, everything listed through Steam using my Duelsense, with Atmos surround sound and a reclining sofa with drinks holders. Maximum comfort, best gaming experience IMO

Still can't deny consoles have a place. They just work, and are amazing value for money. Just depends on your priorities as a gamer.
A lot of games got an upgrade to PS5 and xbox series X specs as well for free and those games have been released on console first before on PC.

I completed horizon zero dawn before it was released on PC.

Emulation yes, but are you admitting you want to build a powerful PC to play games from weaker machines?

Current gen consoles encourage digital sales, which is also where you get cheaper sales as well.

Legit third party stores.....

You know the 2nd hand market exists for consoles right on disc and games can be found really cheap on there and that is more then legit, helps retail stores on the street more.

I think historically Sony made loads of losses on the ps3 and now no long make a loss on hardware as they aren’t a fan of that model as it put the PlayStation brand in jeopardy that generation
Even if they would be sold at a loss, that is not the problem of the end user. Normally he or she goes after what's the best option. AMD or nVIDIA should learn to offer something more for their asking price. It appears they do quite the opposite though.

It's a bit of an odd turn around, usually the higher end cards are diminishing returns, getting less and less performance with exponentially higher and higher prices.

But with the 4000 series cards, the 4090 seems to be the more cost efficient card and as you go down the stack it gets worse :cry:
The more you buy the more you save!

Even if they would be sold at a loss, that is not the problem of the end user. Normally he or she goes after what's the best option. AMD or nVIDIA should learn to offer something more for their asking price. It appears they do quite the opposite though.
It was a problem for Sony so they stopped doing it.

Sony make profit now.

Why should amd or nvidia learn to offer something more when they are constantly sold out?

Outside of the 30 series ending abruptly demand wise due to crypto, they were doing pretty well.

I think sadly gaming in general is just more expensive. Sony game prices went from 50 to 70 for example !

Looks like my 1200w BeQuiet Straight Power 11 PSU (which is brilliant) will be fine. They put out a blog post saying as much and also they are releasing an official wire that does away for any adapter included with the GPU.

We at be quiet! acknowledge that not everyone wants to deal with a bulky adapter. In October 2022, be quiet! releases a 12VHPWR cable for up to 600W power throughput, that connects to two power sockets on any be quiet! PSU with modular cables. The cable strings combine to a single sleeve very close to the PSU, so you can route only one single cable through the case to the graphics card.

I don't think they are assuming you have a 3.0 PSU, that's why they are all including the adapter. Virtually no one has one and any new standard will be super slow to gain traction over many years IMO.
I think it should be fully adopted by next gen (2024). I saw a video interview where the Corsair guy hints abt current generation graphics not being made to atx 3.0 standards. He was suggesting that a device made to atx 3 standards should automatically underclock depending on feedback from sense pins. In absence of sense pins the device should be automatically underclocking to 450w, the rtx 40 serves as a transitioning platform but that should change quickly.

Also he talked about 12vhpwr contact issues and i believe they might revise specs, in a future release.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between consoles and PC. Not going to go into the dozens of reasons why PC is better if you want to do literally anything other than pick it up and play a game vanilla with a controller. There are many lists online of all the things you can do with a gaming PC that you can't do with a console. The summary is that if you ask a hundred questions that begin with 'Can I...' the answer is always yes on PC and frequently no on consoles.

Consoles have their place. And the downside to all the flexibility offered by gaming PCs is for sure the expense. But comparing the two is silly. There's no contest really. They're just completely different.

Back
Top Bottom