• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Reason for that is most likely 3 fold;
  1. Nobody is trying to build an ecosystem and sell that ecosystem on a AAA game, Sony do, MS do and Nintendo do.
  2. PC market is driven by steam and why would PC developers limit their market.
  3. PC gamers are tight as all hell when it comes to actually buying games, look at all the moaning about how much spiderman cost. Now that's not everyone but it's a high %.
Ferrari don't compete with Ford on sales numbers, but they both make cars.

After ive got my card I will buy Spiderman and give it a run out, though i confess I will probably take a look on CD Keys rather than pay full whack, Moneys going to be tight after giving it all to Gibbo.
So essentially the state of the PC market is trash for games, gotcha.

Not only and you people just have to deal with it, there are more consoles for the PS5 and XBox series X out there then GPUs above a 3060 series, considering there are devs that do make PC exclusives actually, what they make are not AAA or big games anymore.

Even developers actually have stated multiple times, without a console release, there is no game, even Destiny 1 never came to PC because bungie saw there just isn't enough PC gamers to sell to and the amount of people with powerful enough PCs is no where near enough.

PC is now getting scraps, and that is not good, think many others have said it in the past, for PC gamers to be taken more seriously, really good hardware needs to meet a good pricepoint, this is not it for a long time even excluding the chip shortage issue.

hardware prices are no longer relevant.. i seriously doubt if nvidia would be releasing 4070 or lower tiers.. they seem to have restarted rtx 30 assembly lines
depending on actual sales data, this could even be the beginning of a long term plan, pc gamers have to just get used to it..
everyones doing it - not just nvidia, one has just got to look at the obnoxious pricing metrics that amd has chosen for x670e motherboards :D

edit: oh btw someone leaked geekbench scores for 4090.. here's a neat summary

Last edited:
hardware prices are no longer relevant.. i seriously doubt if nvidia would be releasing 4070 or lower tiers.. they seem to have restarted rtx 30 assembly lines
depending on actual sales data, this could even be the beginning of a long term plan, pc gamers have to just get used to it..
everyones doing it - not just nvidia, one has just got to look at the obnoxious pricing metrics that amd has chosen for x670e motherboards :D

edit: oh btw someone leaked geekbench scores for 4090.. here's a neat summary

I'm not optimistic about the real gaming uplift we will see from independent reviews.

It looks like a significant uplift which would let me play VR at the resolution and refresh rate I want. A 3090 doesn’t cut it but it looks like this will.

It *may* "cut it", but I'm certainly not going to assume it will based on Nvidia's smoke-and-mirrors presentation.

I'm usually skeptical of company hype events, but this launch feels particularly dodgy.

oh yeah theres also this opacity mapping capability exposed as a fixed function block inside RT cores for alpha testing.. this is like nvidia's tessellation moment.. all they have to do is encourage devs to pack levels with foliage, windows etc. and then rt numbers are going to look pretty bad for amd if they do that.. its going to be interesting reading all the bickering that would follow

Last edited:
It *may* "cut it", but I'm certainly not going to assume it will based on Nvidia's smoke-and-mirrors presentation.

I'm usually skeptical of company hype events, but this launch feels particularly dodgy.
The 4090 will be decent but I expect both 4080s to get panned in the reviews, I wouldn't even be supprised if they try and launch them and withhold review samples till after the launch hoping they can sell a load of them on the back of the 4090 reviews.

I presume once the 4080s release we'll be told of the 12gb 4080ti which is a 4090 with half the ram.......I wish I'd waited for 3080ti tbh. I did manage to use over 12gb vram once by supersampling a benchmark but it doesn't mean zip for games.

Last edited:
What will gamers do other than play video games, go outside, get sun and play physical sports games!?? That's crazy talk
Buy used cards like the 30 series. Other than those absolutely demanding 4K gaming, then the rest will be absolutely laughing around the clock at 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 whilst gaining high framerates in basically all games anyway.

You can buy a 3090 for less than what a 3080 Ti cost less than a year ago for example and the used prices will be even better still no doubt.

There is no new game coming in the horizon that appears to need monster GPU power to run adequately. All games so far seem to be running with DLSS anyway, or use Unreal Engine 4/5 - Engines that are demonstrably highly efficient and even in UE5 terms right now in the tech demos you can muck about it, get 60fps+ anyway and that's without any DLSS etc being used so I have no doubt that the final games will be more optimised still.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree, like the 2022 IPad Pro, the 4090 is hardware looking for an application. I would expect that Nvidia had a good bunch of games lined up for it but due to Covid they are buried into the Q4 2023 schedule rather than Q4 2022.

Back
Top Bottom