• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Buy used cards like the 30 series. Other than those absolutely demanding 4K gaming, then the rest will be absolutely laughing around the clock at 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 whilst gaining high framerates in basically all games anyway.

You can buy a 3090 for less than what a 3080 Ti cost less than a year ago for example and the used prices will be even better still no doubt.

There is no new game coming in the horizon that appears to need monster GPU power to run adequately. All games so far seem to be running with DLSS anyway, or use Unreal Engine 4/5 - Engines that are demonstrably highly efficient and even in UE5 terms right now in the tech demos you can muck about it, get 60fps+ anyway and that's without any DLSS etc being used so I have no doubt that the final games will be more optimised still.

You speak as if 4k is some extreme, fringe thing. It's mainstream - the new consoles (which have sold millions of units at this point) enabled 4K for the masses. 3080 and above (2 years old at this point) enabled 4K > 60fps (with tweaked settings) for the majority of PC games. 4090 will enable 4k 100fps+ with RT and higher settings, depending on the title and DLSS.

Sure, there'll be a bunch of PC gamers still running 1080P and 1440P - though mostly on ancient hardware, or those playing ultra competitive FPS on 240Hz+ monitors.

Last edited:
You speak as if 4k is some extreme, fringe thing. It's mainstream - the new consoles (which have sold millions of units at this point) enabled 4K for the masses. 3080 and above (2 years old at this point) enabled 4K > 60fps (with tweaked settings) for the majority of PC games. 4090 will enable 4k 100fps+ with RT and higher settings, depending on the title and DLSS.

Sure, there'll be a bunch of PC gamers still running 1080P and 1440P - though mostly on ancient hardware, or those playing ultra competitive FPS on 240Hz+ monitors.
I just checked the steam survey and 3840 X 2160 sits at 2.46%

1920 X 1080 is 66.38%

Last edited:
Even if you want to run at medium to high, 4K is not that a demanding res to run anymore. And yes I'd certainly call 4K mainstream, has been for a while and more so than ever with the new consoles let alone PC GPUs for the last few years. Just because most may be using 1080p doesn't mean a lot of the hardware can't do 4K and yes I will include 30fps as a minimum. Add up the GPUs on that survey starting with the 2060 and up that can do 4K native or 4K with a little DLSS help and it's a pretty decent amount.

Last edited:
Even if you want to run at medium to high, 4K is not that a demanding res to run anymore. And yes I'd certainly call 4K mainstream, has been for a while and more so than ever with the new consoles let alone PC GPUs for the last few years. Just because most may be using 1080p doesn't mean a lot of the hardware can't do 4K and yes I will include 30fps as a minimum. Add up the GPUs on that survey starting with the 2060 and up that can do 4K native or 4K with a little DLSS help and it's a pretty decent amount.

Lol 30 FPS min have fun playing online

I find 1440p nice balance with getting high FPS / high quality and not having to spend excessive amount

Last edited:
Yep, I agree, like the 2022 IPad Pro, the 4090 is hardware looking for an application. I would expect that Nvidia had a good bunch of games lined up for it but due to Covid they are buried into the Q4 2023 schedule rather than Q4 2022.
Well nvidia got the cyberpunk Devs to add the RT overdrive mode which even runs like a bag on the 4090 without DLSS so really all Nvidia is doing is trying to create a problem so they can sell you a solution.

Well nvidia got the cyberpunk Devs to add the RT overdrive mode which even runs like a bag on the 4090 without DLSS so really all Nvidia is doing is trying to create a problem so they can sell you a solution.
We don't know this yet, we only know what nvidia have said/shown in inconclusive slides.

Erm how many people plug in their 4K TV to a gaming PC?

The steam survey number speaks for itself. 1440 is the more popular screen resolution between the two and a monitor is always better for performance and clarity than a TV that's being used as a monitor.

Last edited:

The steam survey number speaks for itself. 1440 is the more popular screen resolution between the two and a monitor is always better for performance and clarity than a TV that's being used as a monitor.

Steam survey does speak, it shows a lot of gamers game on an old laptop with integrated Intel graphics

And I bet most are 60hz bet that's fun online , I much prefer playing on desk with monitor Infront 1440p high refresh rate and it doesn't need to be massive so no need for 4K

Lg 4K OLED TV does 120hz,;) not 60hz:p I don't see the point sitting close up on a small 1440p display @2k graphics vs 4K TV at 55/65inch on the sofa
I do:D

Last edited:
@Gibbo sorry if it's been asked of you already but Corsair have a 12VHPWR cable cable on their site, when you click list of available retailers it mentions OcUK, is this something you guys will be stocking?

I had the same thought when I saw this.. Found it a bit odd that corsair listed all new zealand retailers for this cord, when I knew not all would stock it.

I assume that's just a list of people that are corsair partners, not a list of retailers that will sell the specific item.

Steam survey does speak, it shows a lot of gamers game on an old laptop with integrated Intel graphics
It also shows that not many people game on a 4K display.
Yeah, if you take worldwide standards the average common denominator worldwide is super low. However, that does not mean there aren't still a significant amount of 4k gamers helping to drive the high-end GPU and gaming market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom