• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I wonder how many people here will buy one these aib cards and then , when it pitches up, realise it won't actually fit in their case? Then theres the psu issue with not only needing a nuclear reactor to run it, but, if they've got one of the more power hungry versions, trying to run it without having a psu with a "smart" connector to monitor power draw. Probs won't happen for folks here due to being enthusiasts, knowledgeable, common sense, etc but might be a problem for others.

I have a feeling we are going to see more threads of "got a 4080 but games keep crashing or benchmarks wont run"

had in my head that my sfx psu was 850w and had some hope that would have got me by in the meanwhile for the rtx 4090, but upon checking its only a 750w :( has anyone any idea of any sfx psus available to buy now that would be suitable for this new atx 3.0 as all the ones i have came across so far all seem to be pre orders with no eta showing, found it bad how badly prepared psu makers are for this new lineup

had in my head that my sfx psu was 850w and had some hope that would have got me by in the meanwhile for the rtx 4090, but upon checking its only a 750w :( has anyone any idea of any sfx psus available to buy now that would be suitable for this new atx 3.0 as all the ones i have came across so far all seem to be pre orders with no eta showing, found it bad how badly prepared psu makers are for this new lineup

What do you want a 4090 for?

What do you want a 4090 for?
i currently have a 3090 and dont think going to any of the 4080s would be worthwhile, i have a samsung g9 5120x1440 that i struggle to reach the 240hz in most of the games so id like something to bring me closer to that number, and i also plan on picking up the pico 4 vr headset so will be nice having that extra gpu headroom for mods and such in vr games to get the smoothest possible experience

i currently have a 3090 and dont think going to any of the 4080s would be worthwhile, i have a samsung g9 5120x1440 that i struggle to reach the 240hz in most of the games so id like something to bring me closer to that number, and i also plan on picking up the pico 4 vr headset so will be nice having that extra gpu headroom for mods and such in vr games to get the smoothest possible experience

Is that really worth all the trouble and expense of 4090 and a new PSU though?

You haven't even got the headset yet. Just think how much money you are spending for a few FPS.

Really not worth chasing that kind of refresh rate my dude.

Is that really worth all the trouble and expense of 4090 and a new PSU though?

You haven't even got the headset yet. Just think how much money you are spending for a few FPS.
tbf i get your point i had debated this myself i was set on just upgrading my cpu but when i looked at the cost of what it would take to go from my 5950x to 7950x i realised too much had to change,and realising my psu was only 750w i prob av been running real close with my current setup anyways so i decided on going for the gpu upgrade this time round as it would bring me the most benefit for my circumstance,

i upgraded to an 8k tv beginning of the year so would be nice to have extra gpu performance to attempt some story based games in 8k on it and then i also stream on twitch and youtube and when i was doing so on my 3090 on games such as cod and pubg i was taking between a 15 to 20fps drop when streaming from same computer, extra gpu headroom will help with this and it also supports a new codec also which should help with the fps loss from streaming also

tbf i get your point i had debated this myself i was set on just upgrading my cpu but when i looked at the cost of what it would take to go from my 5950x to 7950x i realised too much had to change,and realising my psu was only 750w i prob av been running real close with my current setup anyways so i decided on going for the gpu upgrade this time round as it would bring me the most benefit for my circumstance,

i upgraded to an 8k tv beginning of the year so would be nice to have extra gpu performance to attempt some story based games in 8k on it and then i also stream on twitch and youtube and when i was doing so on my 3090 on games such as cod and pubg i was taking between a 15 to 20fps drop when streaming from same computer, extra gpu headroom will help with this and it also supports a new codec also which should help with the fps loss from streaming also

Well, it sounds like you could benefit from an upgrade, but it's a hell of a lot of money though for not a lot in reality.

it def is ideally id like the cards to be a lot less cost ways but i can kind of offset some of the cost by off loading my rtx 3090 which i should be able to get £700ish back on

I can't notice anything passed 120hz mostly, anything after 70hz is a big improvement from 60hz, after 120hz it all becomes a wash. I have an 85FPS cap in MSI AB which I can turn on and off on the fly with my keyboard shortcut, wasting FPS is just draining the electric meter fast for no visual feedback. Better spent on higher visual fidelity or downsampling.

High refresh only matters for the likes of CSGO at the highest levels of competitive play.

Last edited:
it def is ideally id like the cards to be a lot less cost ways but i can kind of offset some of the cost by off loading my rtx 3090 which i should be able to get £700ish back on

Yeah of course you can get money back, but it's another loss on an already amazing GPU... hate to see people spending a ton of money needlessly, just make sure this is not actually just FOMO, and you are contructing a case in your own mind to justfiy buying a 4090, rather than actually needing one, because the moment the novelty has worn off and it's in your case, you'll know exactly why you bought it, and there's no escaping that buyers remorse feeling...

I can't notice anything passed 120hz mostly, anything after 70hz is a big improvement from 60hz, after 120hz it all becomes a wash. I have an 85FPS cap in MSI AB which I can turn on and off on the fly with my keyboard shortcut, wasting FPS is just draining the electric meter fast for no visual feedback. Better spent on higher visual fidelity or downsampling.

High refresh only matters for the likes of CSGO at the highest levels of competitive play.
see up to 120hz would be what i really only notice also but with the monitor i have at 5120x1440 resolution with all the settings cranked up such as rt and textures bumped up especially when streaming while playing cod i would be getting dips as low as the 80s which you can def feel when it dips but in some parts i could also get as high as 150ish and such but would just be nice knowing im over that 120hz threshold consistent without dropping into the 80s where i def notice it

see up to 120hz would be what i really only notice also but with the monitor i have at 5120x1440 resolution with all the settings cranked up such as rt and textures bumped up especially when streaming while playing cod i would be getting dips as low as the 80s which you can def feel when it dips but in some parts i could also get as high as 150ish and such but would just be nice knowing im over that 120hz threshold consistent without dropping into the 80s where i def notice it
Cap it to your lowest FPS number - 80 you won't notice it as time goes by and your mind will recognize it as how that game plays.
All it is is visual perception and the brain in your own head will automatically adjust anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah of course you can get money back, but it's another loss on an already amazing GPU... hate to see people spending a ton of money needlessly, just make sure this is not actually just FOMO, and you are contructing a case in your own mind to justfiy buying a 4090, rather than actually needing one, because the moment the novelty has worn off and it's in your case, you'll know exactly why you bought it, and there's no escaping that buyers remorse feeling...
completely get your point and i have been down that road in the past lol my pc is used quite a lot by me and is kinda my one and only device for gaming/media consumption so i know i will def get the use and benefit from it but it is crazy times we live in with these prices so i totally get how spending these kinda amounts on a gpu could be frowned upon

completely get your point and i have been down that road in the past lol my pc is used quite a lot by me and is kinda my one and only device for gaming/media consumption so i know i will def get the use and benefit from it but it is crazy times we live in with these prices so i totally get how spending these kinda amounts on a gpu could be frowned upon
Spend money on the things that make you happy. You can't take it with you. I spent £30,000 on a projector last year (will still be paying for that for a few years), and only £800 on my car. Most people would have that the other way around but it's what makes me happy that's important. If you want one and it will bring you joy, buy one.

Well, you clearly know what you are doing and it's not just FOMO, so enjoy your new set-up!

I'm already getting a great experience 98% of the time with my current equipment.

I doubt I will get ~$1600 worth of "happy" by sorting that last little sliver of my gaming. If the jump in performance is big enough, I may be able to rationalize wasting the money by telling myself I won't upgrade for a couple generations.

Spend money on the things that make you happy. You can't take it with you. I spent £30,000 on a projector last year (will still be paying for that for a few years), and only £800 on my car. Most people would have that the other way around but it's what makes me happy that's important. If you want one and it will bring you joy, buy one.

That’s the thing man, I recently lost someone close to me and they always begrudged spending, now they gone they can’t take what they had with them. If you can afford it do what makes you happy.

I didn’t even know you could get projectors that expensive. I think the only purchase I made this year that I regret was I spent £2,000 on some IEMs and I’m too scared to use them incase I break them lol.

Back
Top Bottom